PDA

View Full Version : Jazz CVT fluid flush with service

GU357
06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey, just letting the CVT guys know that the reason a CVT flush is so expensive is because they use 8litres of CVT fluid and pump it through the transmission.
the flush is apparently better than letting it out and changing it because of this pumping thing, a normal empty n refill takes only 4litres of the oil though.

... of course Honda could be lying to me.

Anyway i found this today when i took the car in for its 90k km service.
the service was $256
fluid flush was $301 (supposedly with a discount from $340)
and they said they would put these 2 additives in with the engine oil some kinda detergent to move around that cleans the gunk out, and another goes in with the fuel, but i will never know if they ever did it or not or whether they just scored an extra $30 for nothing

Paul.Z
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
a flush is better cause there is still old fluids left in the pipes and/or hoses and a flush gets it all out
lol..theres no such thing as a discount unless you are the mechanic :P
and the 2 additives are engine flush (which is good) and an injector cleaner (some people say it does nothing)

GU357
06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
a flush is better cause there is still old fluids left in the pipes and/or hoses and a flush gets it all out
lol..theres no such thing as a discount unless you are the mechanic :P
and the 2 additives are engine flush (which is good) and an injector cleaner (some people say it does nothing)

Yeh, i thought so.
and nah it wasnt really a discount LOL but the paper said that it was $340 and he scribbled over it and wrote $301 ahaha,

bennjamin
06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
with any automatic transmission - you need to change the entire fluid a few times to properly remove all older fluid from the torque convertor and or transmission housing. There is a graph somewhere on the net which states what % is left in the torque convertor /transmission (on average) after every fluid change. But generally speaking - if you change the fluid every 30-40,000ks everything should be fine.

GU357
06-07-2011, 08:02 PM
the jazz doesnt have a torque converter but yes it does need a flush

bennjamin
06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
the jazz doesnt have a torque converter but yes it does need a flush

sorry u are correct - the logic behind X fluid changes will reduce the amount of old fluid inside still applies tho !

GU357
06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
nah its kool, so confusing to keep up with all this technology DSG CVT... SMB!!
yeh they pump that stuff through the cooling hoses or something im not to sure i really wanted to get out of there Honda North in Perth is kinda confusing LOL

aaronng
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Personally, I'd rather change the CVT fluid more often (say every 1.5 years) and only use 4 litres than to change it every 2 or 3 years with a full flush using 8 litres.

07-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I change my CVT fluid every 10,000km because you can feel the transmission will not run smooth if you don't change it for long time plus it will cost you even more at the end if anything happen to fix the CVT !!! This is my opinion .......

Mattski_VTIR
07-07-2011, 01:06 PM
If you expirience a shudder on take off, ( Biggest prob with CVT) this is due to start up clutch wearing, a fluid change will help drasticly, but the AT/CVT needs to be hooked up tp a HDS and reset (feedback learn)( can be a pain in the a$$ to do )
There is a way off doing this in the car without driving it, using the hds or a diagnostic system to turn the SCS (Service Connector Short) on and off.
Honda will do this when they replace the fluid, but some other garages may not be aware of this.
So if you are or have felt this shudder on take off, best take it to honda to reset the CVT.
Even if you change the fluid yourself.

GU357
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Honda North have decided to keep my car an extra day, to change rear wheel bearings, they also said that the shudder is still there so they are getting in contact with HONDA to see if they can fix it under extended warranty.