PDA

View Full Version : P PLATERS b16a2

ANYHSV
07-07-2011, 01:36 PM
:wave:Hey guys

im on my green ps and am after a eg civic... i found one with a b16a2 now my question is;
i understand that you can drive a car without engineers cert as long as the power/displacement doesnt go up by more then 15%

does it need a engineers cert if i get pulled over by highway patrol
can i drive it even though on rta website says p platers cannot drive a modified car....and how do p platers get away without getting done ?

Thanks for your help guys

flipfire
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Modified car? where does it say that? I think you mean High performance vehicles that are prohibited.

So no super/turbocharged and v8 cars.

You dont need an engineers certificate, but you do need to advise RTA about the new engine. Plus its not really a modification if it the engine was available from factory (EG6)

duzy
07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
All it is, is an engine replacement recommended by your mechanic. Dont say anything about bigger motor (its just a lil 1.6l motor). Just make sure that the car is rego'd with the engine number and all will be fine.
So you dont need engineers cert. If they ask you anything about it, just say you dont know, you bought it like that, my mech did this shit etc.

Highway patrol wont even bother checking engine number and comparing to stock engine number, most of them just look for the usual mods, exposed pod filter, aftermarket headers/exhaust. And anything out of place or isnt working properly in your car, horn, seat belt retracting. Just drive normally and dont hoon. If they pull you over for speeding, reving, driving like a retard, then its most likely they try find something to defect you for.

ANYHSV
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Modified car? where does it say that? I think you mean High performance vehicles that are prohibited.

So no super/turbocharged and v8 cars.

You dont need an engineers certificate, but you do need to advise RTA about the new engine. Plus its not really a modification if it the engine was available from factory (EG6)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/200707_p2.html

Vehicles – You must not drive any vehicle with:
Eight or more cylinders.
A turbocharged or supercharged engine (diesel powered engines exempt).
Modifications that increase engine performance.
Any other vehicle identified by the RTA – further details available on the RTA website.

when u say advise the rta... wouldnt they already know since it would say it on the rego paper b16a2 ??? (buying the car with the motor already in it) how do i check it they know ?

when u say it was available from factory it was available for the eg6 im buying an eg5 so diff model... doesnt that argument become invalid ?

Thanks for your help buddy :)

All it is, is an engine replacement recommended by your mechanic. Dont say anything about bigger motor (its just a lil 1.6l motor). Just make sure that the car is rego'd with the engine number and all will be fine.
So you dont need engineers cert. If they ask you anything about it, just say you dont know, you bought it like that, my mech did this shit etc.

Highway patrol wont even bother checking engine number and comparing to stock engine number, most of them just look for the usual mods, exposed pod filter, aftermarket headers/exhaust. And anything out of place or isnt working properly in your car, horn, seat belt retracting. Just drive normally and dont hoon. If they pull you over for speeding, reving, driving like a retard, then its most likely they try find something to defect you for.

yeah i will have to check rego papers if it is.... yeah the motor is stock only cat back... hooning :P haha i dont hoon i will only vtec till speed limit hehehehe. i owned a prelude si got sick of it finally want to hit the vtec crew.... but im looking at corolla sportivos asswell, sportivo will beat a b16a2 wouldnt it ?

lsvtec
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
yeah im pretty sure a sportivo will beat a b16a2 but they also cost more $$$$$$$$

jdm18c
07-07-2011, 08:06 PM
man i was on my green ps and had a eg with the d16 changed to a b18cr did the blue slip and went to the rta changed it and that was it no questions asked

jdm_b16a
07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Vehicles – You must not drive any vehicle with: Modifications that increase engine performance.

You are not increasing engine performance. The car has had an engine change but that engine came as standard in the EG so it is not a problem. My kids are on P plates and drive my EH9/B16A.

When u say advise the rta... wouldnt they already know since it would say it on the rego paper b16a2 ??? (buying the car with the motor already in it) how do i check it they know ?

Yes they would know. If the car is registered, check the rego certificate. It will have the engine number on there. If it is not then you need to get a workshop to check it over, issue you with a Change of Details form, then take it to the RTA and have them record the new details.

When u say it was available from factory it was available for the eg6 im buying an eg5 so diff model... doesnt that argument become invalid ?

No. I put a B16A into my EH9, which was originally a D16Y1. The B16A is a factory engine in 92-95 Civics therefore a valid swap without need for Engineering.

I hope this clears up any doubts for you.

Peter

flipfire
07-07-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/200707_p2.html

Vehicles – You must not drive any vehicle with:
Eight or more cylinders.
A turbocharged or supercharged engine (diesel powered engines exempt).
Modifications that increase engine performance.
Any other vehicle identified by the RTA – further details available on the RTA website.

when u say advise the rta... wouldnt they already know since it would say it on the rego paper b16a2 ??? (buying the car with the motor already in it) how do i check it they know ?

when u say it was available from factory it was available for the eg6 im buying an eg5 so diff model... doesnt that argument become invalid ?

Thanks for your help buddy :)

By modifications, i think they mean turbocharging an NA car. A bit of a loose term that one...

You need to let RTA know of the new engine number for rego. If the engine was made to be put in the EG chassis then it shouldnt be a problem.

ANYHSV
07-07-2011, 08:21 PM
if i find a b18c in an eg then that should be fine without engineers cert asswell ????

wow thanks for the help guys, very helpful website....

i think im at ease now, and will go ahead with the car inspection, i dont think im going to go for a sportivo anymore....

hope to cruise with you guys soon :)

p.s what are some good cheap mods to start off???

what does a b16a2 run stock???

jks24
07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
yeah im pretty sure a sportivo will beat a b16a2 but they also cost more $$$$$$$$

Ive chopped a sportivo rolla in my EM1..he was a shit driver though lol

dougie_504
07-07-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't know about NSW but in VIC the 'standard option motor' rule only applies to the local market, so a JDM option (IE. EG6) is not relevant since there were no AUDM EG's with B-series.

But this might not be the case for you guys up there.

OP, why don't you just call the RTA and get it over with?

Cabra69
08-07-2011, 12:05 AM
This is what the Rta said Prohibited vehicles are those with:Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate.
so i would say that if the eg has more then 0.2L up grade such as the b20 or k series you would need it buts its a b16a2 it should be fine cause ima get one =] I HOPE!

Peace AnTonZ

dougie_504
08-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Then stroke it + high comp pistons haha. Sleeper shtyleeeeeee!

ANYHSV
08-07-2011, 01:00 PM
thanks lads, and rta wise, i think you guys on here know more about the rules then the bloody rta... there hopeless

jdm18c
08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
theres a eg with b18c7 on gumtree that be legal for ya weapon to

najdi
08-07-2011, 06:43 PM
in noob words...high performance vehicle is considered a high powered v6 ( 350z ) and then its also considered anything with a engineers certificate...u will only need a engine engineer certificate if ur civic eg lets say 1.6L gets a k20 installed which is now 2.0L u can legally go up by 0.2 displacement before a engineer cert is needed n all ud need is a bluey ( nsw rules anyway) i had a eg with a k20z and only to find out i couldnt " legally " drive it so i got rid of it....i couldnt be bothered reading ur whole thread so i hope this helps pm if u need help

ANYHSV
11-07-2011, 08:45 PM
hey guys

the cars motor has been rego'd to the chassis....

thoughts ????

dougie_504
11-07-2011, 08:54 PM
that's good

ANYHSV
11-07-2011, 09:15 PM
really ? had do i know if the motor hasnt been stolen :S

the bloke also said he clocked the odometer back to match motor kms... reckons theres a 20,000km difference between motor and shell.... LOL

dougie_504
11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Call and ask the RTA if the engine is stolen.

As for the odometer...well, what really matters is when the last major service was done and when the belt/pump etc were replaced. Mileage itself is no indication of condition.

grifty
12-07-2011, 12:12 AM
well if they RTA registered the motor to ur car then it aint stolen, they obviously wont register a motor to a car if they knew it was stolen......

ANYHSV
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
well if they RTA registered the motor to ur car then it aint stolen, they obviously wont register a motor to a car if they knew it was stolen......

thats what im saying........ the rta DOESNT know about the motor..... the motor isnt rego'd to the chassis...

grifty
12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
hey guys

the cars motor has been rego'd to the chassis....

thoughts ????

i thought the motor was regoed to the chassis....

thats what im saying........ the rta DOESNT know about the motor..... the motor isnt rego'd to the chassis...

You can try giving the RTA a call and giving them the engine number but i dont know if they can pull up the details for you, do you happen to have the details of the car it came out of?