PDA

View Full Version : NSW NSW/VIC Personal Import

grifty
07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Im looking to buy a personal import from VIC (yellow plate) and i am just wondering is it allowed to be registered in NSW? it has been registered in VIC before but the rego has run out. The car is a 1989 model and it was imported in march 1997.

Also would i need import documents etc? the only document that comes with the car is a receipt from a dealership, so is that enough for rego in NSW?

Also would it need to go to to VIIU in NSW?

Thanks alot.

jdm_b16a
07-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm looking to buy a personal import from VIC (yellow plate) and i am just wondering is it allowed to be registered in NSW? it has been registered in VIC before but the rego has run out.

Yes you can register it in NSW.

You will need a receipt from the seller indicating the usual info (sale price, date of sale, etc), and the rego/transfer papers (in Vic they have transfer papers - the seller has to fill out part of it).

Take the paperwork to an Authorised Inspection Station, they will do a Blue Slip and a Change of Details Form.

Take these along with your Vic paperwork (and the plates if you still have them) to the RTA. They will transfer rego and ship plates back to VicRoads.

You will be issued with NSW rego and plates. Done.

(I assume you have organised Pink Slip).

You don't need the import papers.

Peter

grifty
08-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks alot Peter, exactly what i wanted to know!

ceekay101
10-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Does it have a compliance plate? Mine didnt, had to call the ministry of transport and get a copy of compliace sent to me. But because the car doesnt have a compliance plate it needs an engineer cert. SIGH. So engineer cert, then blue slip, then rego. Interstate cars always need a blueslip regardless of rego status.

grifty
10-07-2011, 06:24 PM
i dont know if it has a compliance plate, it has the personal import plate and it also has a vin plate.

I thought the personal import plate (yellow plate) was the compliance plate?

which state did you get your car from?

grifty
10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
This is the yellow plate, it looks like a compliance plate?

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/1706/unledcwa.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/unledcwa.jpg/)

jdm_b16a
10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
It's a personal import, meaning the person who brought it into Australia owned it probably in Japan for at least 12 months.

The process for importation would have still been the same.

You said the car was registered in Victoria. That's all you need to know.

Transfer its registration to NSW via the Blue Slip inspection (as I said earlier).

Peter

ceekay101
11-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Yeh personal import is the same I think, mine was done so long ago they didn't need plates (grey import?) Bought it from melbourne. Just call up the rta to double check.