PDA

View Full Version : Kings springs fail!!! Tips needed!!

azzacrombe
13-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Hey guys,

I just got a new set of king springs on my 04 DC5. Unfortnately they dont sit as low as I wanted to. On the kings spring site it said that it would be a 40mm drop but when I measured it, it doesnt seem like its anywhere near that drop. I had a huge blow out with the guys who installed and ordered it, and they said theres nothing they can do since it was the exact part for the car because i had given them the exact month and year of manufacture of the car. Basically I am still stuck with a gap between the tyres and the car.

I was just wondering if there is anyway i can rectify this problem? or would I have to get a new set of springs?

Thanks guys.

SuperJDM.
13-07-2011, 12:22 AM
cut the springs OR on a serious note get them compressed?

androo
13-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Are they brand new? How much of a gap is there? King Springs actually sag very quickly within the first few weeks.

azzacrombe
13-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Are they brand new? How much of a gap is there? King Springs actually sag very quickly within the first few weeks.

Yeah man they are brand new.

anzai
13-07-2011, 12:39 AM
oh the joys of using lowering springs

charliebrown
13-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Give it 2 months. And spend a day sitting in your boot jumping up and down. Sometimes the rear doesn't have enough weight to settle properly.

ShadowX
13-07-2011, 04:44 AM
from memory king springs on a dc5r was a 2 finger gap between the wheel and the guard

androo
13-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Give it 2 months. And spend a day sitting in your boot jumping up and down. Sometimes the rear doesn't have enough weight to settle properly.

Symphorced
13-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Firstly, you need to give it time to settle. Also, which type of King springs do you have? I'm pretty sure they have the three categories of "low", "super-low" and "ultra-low"... or something like that.

azzacrombe
13-07-2011, 09:11 AM
There was innitially about a 2.5" gap, now its about 1.6". If it drop down to about a 1" gap I would be happy. But I guess we'll just wait and see. *fingers crossed*.

Thanks for the help guys. Just incase they dont settle? am I looking at new springs?

act_gooner
13-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Are you using stock shocks? Even if they don't sag as much as you like the lower category of Kings Springs shouldn't cost you much, just trying selling yours and using the money on another second hand pair or something if your on a tight budget.

Lol at jumping in your boot, what the deuce charliebrown

charliebrown
13-07-2011, 03:08 PM
^You think i'm joking... i'm not.

Back when i had my rear springs in, it was a lot higher than the front. Then i was doing some work with my antenna in the boot for a few hours, when i got out, the car was lower and it stayed lower. It seems only logical that there was not sufficient weight on the rear end to allow the springs to settle down. (no im not fat)

act_gooner
13-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Oh k lol. Maybe OP should take the mademoiselle out somewhere nice and quiet one night. Horizontal hustle sounds a lot more plausible then using the boot as a trampoline lol

Bulbasaur
13-07-2011, 03:34 PM
^You think i'm joking... i'm not.

Back when i had my rear springs in, it was a lot higher than the front. Then i was doing some work with my antenna in the boot for a few hours, when i got out, the car was lower and it stayed lower. It seems only logical that there was not sufficient weight on the rear end to allow the springs to settle down. (no im not fat)

erm are u talking about stock springs?... i sat in my boot for a week scapping window tint off my faggot rear window for a week and my car did not lower lol.. this was in summer and im fat too lmao, btw i still havnt finished scraping that shit off

act_gooner
13-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Nah he talking about Kings springs. :)

munkaii
13-07-2011, 03:55 PM
erm are u talking about stock springs?... i sat in my boot for a week scapping window tint off my faggot rear window for a week and my car did not lower lol.. this was in summer and im fat too lmao, btw i still havnt finished scraping that shit off

I feel sorry for you having to do that. Tinters charge $50 to untint a whole car LOL.

On a serious note to the OP, wait a while and see if they settle down. King springs + stock shocks aren't a good combination as you can blow the stock shocks quickly, but see how you go.

dougie_504
13-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Agreed with wait to see if they settle more. Just drive the car around for a few weeks.

dc2r-0636
13-07-2011, 06:38 PM
If they dont drop to a height that you want go back to where u got them installed and get them compressed. Your stock dampers will die in a couple of weeks coz theyre not designed to operate with that ride height

Bulbasaur
13-07-2011, 11:15 PM
I feel sorry for you having to do that. Tinters charge $50 to untint a whole car LOL.

lmao i probably still would not have went

Indie
14-07-2011, 03:15 AM
If I just get King Spring Lows, which I believe are only a 1.5" drop, will my stock shocks be fine?

dougie_504
14-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Yes they'll be fine.

And I disagree with getting springs compressed. Especially with soft springs like Kings. The coils will smash against one another if you hit a decent bump. Has happened to me in the past from using crappy/compressed springs. So I did the right thing and got better springs that suited my needs.

azzacrombe
14-07-2011, 11:26 AM

On a serious note to the OP, wait a while and see if they settle down. King springs + stock shocks aren't a good combination as you can blow the stock shocks quickly, but see how you go.

Yeah I think ill just wait and see after a couple of weeks. I still have my stock shocks in, but since the car hasnt dropped even 1.5"...i havent seen the need to change them. According to what they say in the site, the max these springs will drop will be about 35-40mm which is about 1.6" MAX. So i dont think I would need to change the shocks right?

azzacrombe
14-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Oh k lol. Maybe OP should take the mademoiselle out somewhere nice and quiet one night. Horizontal hustle sounds a lot more plausible then using the boot as a trampoline lol

Although that seems like a plausible/effective and not to mention fun idea, it would have been a lot easier had I known this a month ago as "the mademoiselle" doesnt exist anymore (if you know what I mean).

act_gooner
14-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Sorry man :(.
Some good advice in this thread for you though, hope you can get the car sitting the way you want.

azzacrombe
15-07-2011, 12:43 AM
[QUOTE=act_gooner;3048327]Sorry man :(.
Some good advice in this thread for you though, hope you can get the car sitting the way you want.[/QUOT

Dont feel bad man :)...its all good!!! thanks for your help though. My DC5R is my new mademoiselle now.....hahaha...Got huge plans for it...thanks to all these threads!!! This is just the beguining!!!

18dim
16-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I had king springs in my dc5s, and there was still a 2 finger gap in the back, and probably a 3 in the front, if i remember correctly?
Had them in for about 35,000kms, so they were well worn in..

not a huge drop, but better than being able to fit my whole fist in the rear like it used to....

azzacrombe
16-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I had king springs in my dc5s, and there was still a 2 finger gap in the back, and probably a 3 in the front, if i remember correctly?
Had them in for about 35,000kms, so they were well worn in..

not a huge drop, but better than being able to fit my whole fist in the rear like it used to....

Yeah thats exactly the gap I have on right now. So your saying that it doesnt drop more than thatt?? Ill prob leave it on for a bit and see what happens. Would hav preferred a 2 finger gap in the front as well.

charliebrown
16-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Instead of changing your springs again, maybe just change your shocks? get the ones with the adjustable circlips which can adjust the height slightly. That's the best you can do for comfort as well as height without going coilovers. You have a type R, don't **** up the perfect balance of the car by cheaping out and just getting shit springs. Do it right man, i'd understand if you had a shittier car to play around with springs but if you had enough money to buy a dc5r, spend a bit more on the sussy imo

18dim
17-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah thats exactly the gap I have on right now. So your saying that it doesnt drop more than thatt?? Ill prob leave it on for a bit and see what happens. Would hav preferred a 2 finger gap in the front as well.

Yeah, that's pretty much it... i was a little disappointed at first as well, but i got used to it. Just think of it like, ur not gonna blow ur shocks as quick, (compared to if u went for like skunk2 springs, which literally have no finger gap, in comparison..)

if i was to do it again, id get coilovers, but for now just put up with it. imo.

later on, if u really want, just sell the entire stock shock/king-spring combo, for funding for coilovers.
you should be able to sell them on here, without a prob. Don't spend more $$ on the king springs, like compressing them n stuff. Its just wasting $$ with little gain, and its only gonna cause issues for your car. the springs were engineered at that height, for a reason. Modding them will just affect the rebound rates and general geometry of the springs. Essentially causing more wear on the shocks, and also affecting handling, if they aren't done right.

azzacrombe
18-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Instead of changing your springs again, maybe just change your shocks? get the ones with the adjustable circlips which can adjust the height slightly. That's the best you can do for comfort as well as height without going coilovers. You have a type R, don't **** up the perfect balance of the car by cheaping out and just getting shit springs. Do it right man, i'd understand if you had a shittier car to play around with springs but if you had enough money to buy a dc5r, spend a bit more on the sussy imo

Yeah, that's pretty much it... i was a little disappointed at first as well, but i got used to it. Just think of it like, ur not gonna blow ur shocks as quick, (compared to if u went for like skunk2 springs, which literally have no finger gap, in comparison..)

if i was to do it again, id get coilovers, but for now just put up with it. imo.

later on, if u really want, just sell the entire stock shock/king-spring combo, for funding for coilovers.
you should be able to sell them on here, without a prob. Don't spend more $$ on the king springs, like compressing them n stuff. Its just wasting $$ with little gain, and its only gonna cause issues for your car. the springs were engineered at that height, for a reason. Modding them will just affect the rebound rates and general geometry of the springs. Essentially causing more wear on the shocks, and also affecting handling, if they aren't done right.

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. Definately not going to get the springs compressed or anything cause thats just going to mess up the springs, shocks and who knows what else.

IMO I was thinking of leaving them on there and getting coilovers later on. But IF i do go the adjustable shocks....would that mess up the balance of the car pretty badly? Thats the last thing I want to do. Love the car and dont want to mess it up.

charliebrown
18-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Adjustable shocks with good springs is arguably a better street setup than coilovers man. It probably works out to be the same price or even more expensive. Won't mess up the balance of your car at all. Ride comfort will be superb as opposed to some brands of coilovers that will bring your lunch back up your oesophagus when you go over a bump

trism
18-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Remember, King springs are ADR approved, meaning they are fully street legal, which means that they are never going to be a massive drop.

Zilli
22-07-2011, 09:32 PM
^ thats got nothing to do with it... by your logic they are legal, and they are not... any modification is illegal, regardless of whether they meet ADR's or not...

My experience with kings are that they sag... i had them on my car for about 10k kms and over that time the probably gave (particularly in the back) about an inch... my advice would be (if you hadnt bought them already) dont buy them as theyre not the best...