PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about d15b engines :]

EgFanatic
15-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi guys, i have recently picked up another civic as a project car the engine its currently got is a d15b sohc. At the wreckers there is another civic with a d15b vtec head i was thinking could i swap the heads and gain vtec? and also the car is auto so the gearbox on the car at the wreckers is an s20 gear box as i was told that this is an lsd gearbox? what would i need for the manual and vtec head conversion? i was just wondering if the heads would be compatable.

Thanks guys :]

dougie_504
16-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Yeah you can swap them, I think they call this the 'MiniMe VTEC conversion'. S20 isn't an LSD box as far as I know, only some JDM D15's came with an OEM LSD.

You'll need to do some wiring work and other crap but I'm no expert. I wouldn't recommend the swap TBH. For the effort you're going to you may as well pick up an OBD1 B16A. At least then you'd notice the difference. Otherwise if you're on a budget just grab a D16Y1, better engine, cheap, another 100cc +/-, has VTEC etc.

Sorry if that's not the encouraging answer you wanted, just my opinion. I have a Y1 SOHC VTEC and B16A DOHC VTEC. World of difference.

chowdaa
17-07-2011, 12:41 AM
The d15b head will fit great, you will need head bolts, a VRS kit for the d15b or a d15z1, i am sure all efi d series vrs will fit but to be sure lets stick to a vtec based 1.5L, timing belt kit and water pump while we are there (d15z1 parts fit snug). As long as you are talking about an efi d15b7, you will only need to add about 3-5 wires which accommodate the vtec solenoid, v tec pressure switch and map sensor in the rear of the manifold. If its carby, check my link below for what is involved. You will also need the d15b ecu or if you are handy with a soldering iron, remove the a couple of resistors and solder in a jumper to convert your ecu to manual and install some transistors, jumpers and a chip, replacing the c14 capacitor while we are there for vtec. This is all depending on your skill level and i would recommend you just buy another ecu if you have never used a soldering iron or have no experience with PCBs.

You should be able to look into the hole of the gearbox from which the driveshafts are to be installed, if you have a bar through the centre, it is not lsd

TheSaint
17-07-2011, 12:58 AM
i would just take the whole D15b Vtec engine - we didnt get them over here and they are a fantastic little motor

the S20 B000 gearbox has the best gear ratios available for OBD-I D-series engines

some of the JDM D15b Vtec gearbox's had factory LSD as well - these are rare as hell in australia and the gearbox alone will fetch over $1200

if you can get the gear cheap than grab it mate - before somebody else does!!!