PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 1984 EW2 civic :(

EgFanatic
17-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Hello ozhonda, i recently acquired a free civic from my neighbour,i live in vic and the car has number plates but hasnt been registered since 2009.. what would i need to do other than a rwc to get the car on the road? and also i searched on the forums but couldent find a solution to my other problem.. the engines on about 270,000+ kms and wondering what other engine i could fit in to this car?

Looks exactly like this car on this link

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/7515-1986-Honda-Civic.jpg

Cheers

sebtoombs
17-07-2011, 06:44 PM
If the engine has been looked after, it will keep going for a long time yet. I'm currently driving an EG sedan with the stock D15 in it, which has done over 330,000kms. Mind you it will be on its way out in the not too distant future, but it still runs perfectly never had any probs. As for your other question, I can't help too much, being in Tassie. I do know that to get a car rego'ed here a few things such as: no cracks in the drivers area of windscreen, h pattern on shift lever (manual), brakes need to be working, plenty of tread on tyres, no leaks in cooling system or major oil leaks. All your headlights, taillights etc need to be working, horn has to be working. All the seatbelts need to be in adequate condition. really just common sense things for the main part. There would be a heap more, I reccomend looking at your states transport website, they should have a document somewhere... should

dc292177917
17-07-2011, 07:11 PM
u hv to get a RWC first - pbly $500
then need a full inspection by vicroad and the appointment fee is like $350 alone
after all u still hv to renew the rego for abt $600

imo not worth getting it back on road...

dougie_504
17-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Well RWC depends on what needs to be done, you can't just assume it'll cost $500. It's about $70-100 for an inspection, then the cost of whatever needs to be fixed. I suggest getting the RWC first and then deciding if it's worth paying to put back on the road. It could cost you nothing or it could cost you $1500. Who knows? Also depends on who does the inspection...

Rego IMO isn't really an expense that you should consider when getting a car back on the road - you have to pay it for every car every year, so one way or another you'll end up paying $642 (new price) at some point in the next 12 months. Doing it now just means not doing it in 2, 3, 6 months or w/e, not to mention if you piss off the EW and buy an already rego'd car you'll be out of pocket for the vehicle + stamp duty etc. Starting with a free car is going to save you coin from the beginning.