PDA

View Full Version : NSW Gearbox swap

AndreaCivic
19-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Is a dc2r gearbox swap into an ek vti-r legal?

also, is it necessary to notify insurance of such a mod? gearbox, lightened flywheel and sports/style clutch?

thanks guys in NSW

bennjamin
19-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Legal

And no - does not increase power to weight ratio at all. Just inform your insurance company and give them a receipt if you want them to cover the gearbox/parts at your expense via increased premium or excess

DNY*BOY
19-07-2011, 05:13 PM
its just a replacement part in there eyes, not neccessarily a 'modification' its not visibly noticeable either , personally i dont think you would need to.

AndreaCivic
20-07-2011, 08:58 AM
cool thanks guys

AndreaCivic
25-07-2011, 01:21 PM
following up on this, i spoke to an engineer today, who provides ADR Compliance Services in Sydney, and now i'm convinced otherwise.

i spoke to him about a brakes upgrade, which was a wilwood 4 piston job.. i was told that not only is it illegal unless engineered, your insurance is also null & void!

Any mod which is not an extra which can be fitted from factory is considered a modification and "any mod requires engineering"..

DC2-PWR
25-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't think coppers will even know you would have a dc2r gearbox,

bigger brakes def needs mod plate.

AndreaCivic
25-07-2011, 02:29 PM
im not too worried about the police. i'm more worried about the insurance being null & void.
if you did swap the gearbox and happened to cause an accident, there is every chance know 1 would notice. Let's say there was $100K damages though, i wouldnt feel comfortable knowing i haven't had my gearbox engineered.
im sorry but thats just not a risk im willing to take guys.

trism
25-07-2011, 02:56 PM
There is no reason to need a gearbox engineered. Especially considering its an OEM Honda part, it doesn't increase power.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

AndreaCivic
25-07-2011, 03:15 PM
its an oem part for an integra not a civic.
brakes dont increase power but they still require engineering

AndreaCivic
09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
ok, i spoke to the same engineer and while he was not able to tell me "you dont have to get it engineered" from what i understood and as most of you guys have stated on here - nobody will notice it.
i've gone ahead and purchased/ordered the gearbox.
cheers guys

bennjamin
09-08-2011, 09:43 AM
its an oem part for an integra not a civic.
brakes dont increase power but they still require engineering

Not entirely true - if the brakes came from the same chassis (EK/EG and DC are considered the same chassis) then they can fall under "replacement part" and require no engineering....much like replacing your brake pads for example does not require engineering.

But if they come from a totally different chassis or larger/smaller than brakes on your chassis type , as required to your engine size/power/weight , then yes you will require engineering.

AndreaCivic
09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Not entirely true - if the brakes came from the same chassis (EK/EG and DC are considered the same chassis) then they can fall under "replacement part" and require no engineering....much like replacing your brake pads for example does not require engineering.

But if they come from a totally different chassis or larger/smaller than brakes on your chassis type , as required to your engine size/power/weight , then yes you will require engineering.

interesting, would love to know the source of this information

bennjamin
09-08-2011, 04:38 PM
interesting, would love to know the source of this information

Same source as why a b18c7 or b18c2 can be installed into a EG or EK chassis , and not need to be engineered. Because the brakes and emissions can cope with the engine and that the chassis is essentially the same. This comes under "replacement engine".

AndreaCivic
09-08-2011, 04:43 PM
ok great to know, b18c7 would be lovely in an ek..
my mouth is watering

Same source as why a b18c7 or b18c2 can be installed into a EG or EK chassis , and not need to be engineered. Because the brakes and emissions can cope with the engine and that the chassis is essentially the same. This comes under "replacement engine".

bennjamin
09-08-2011, 04:48 PM
ok great to know, b18c7 would be lovely in an ek..
my mouth is watering

yeah , research abit on this forum - a very common mod is a b16a2 or b18c7 in a EG or EK - fairly standard job but uses only a handful of replacement parts and its good as in the car. Ofcourse you will require to update the new engines details with your chassis - this is done via a blueslip (adjustment of records) and is easy. Anyway we are venturing off topic sorry !

AndreaCivic
09-08-2011, 04:52 PM
no problems, happy to talk about hondas any day of the week!

yeah , research abit on this forum - a very common mod is a b16a2 or b18c7 in a EG or EK - fairly standard job but uses only a handful of replacement parts and its good as in the car. Ofcourse you will require to update the new engines details with your chassis - this is done via a blueslip (adjustment of records) and is easy. Anyway we are venturing off topic sorry !

Fredoops
18-11-2011, 03:25 PM
You'd be suprised now many insurance companies dont care about brake upgrades, or they dont charge extra, because as far as they are concerned it's an safety upgrade, better in their eyes.

na-118
18-11-2011, 04:22 PM
they do care about brakes and suspension, if it doesn't meet ADR standards, it is deemed unroadworthy if the upgrades outside of OEM is not engineered!

EG52NV
06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
will my insurance be void if i put an integra oil filter into my civic? :P

AndreaCivic
07-12-2011, 07:53 AM
depends if you did it yourself and did a botch job. lol

will my insurance be void if i put an integra oil filter into my civic? :P