PDA

View Full Version : cars running rough, help!!

nobbs
08-02-2005, 07:23 PM
hey guys,
my cars been running rough over the last week or so, it kinda sounds like its runnin on 3 cylinders or something, it sounds like this throughout the entire rev range, there is a loss of power

im just wondering if u guys got any idea of what might be causing this, im getting my 100k service (timing belt etc....) done on thursday so hopefully i can get it fixed up then....

my mate thinks it could be that my lifters are gone due to wear and tear (the car sees the redline mark regularly). at first after a hard thrash session it used to idle like it is now (kinda like a rexy), but after a few revs it would be back to normal.

any ideas?...i have no clue whats causing this

BTW my car is a 99 model Civic vtir....

ECU-MAN
08-02-2005, 07:32 PM
dude Honda engines use tappets not lifters,( except some V6 engines ) Vtec engines have a lost motion lifter wich wont make much of a difference at high rpms.

your problem could be a bad lead, oil in spark plug channel, posibly bad spark plug. have them check it out at the service, also they should adjust the tappets

vti-r steve
08-02-2005, 10:53 PM
When I first got my car one of the spark plug lead's swelled up around the plug from moisture and started missing, I took it out and dried it and that fixed the problem and I had it replaced at the next service.

It could well be any number of other problems eg: plugs ect.

Good luck, interested in the outcome.

Steve

nobbs
09-02-2005, 07:06 AM
thanx for the input guys, ill let u guys know how it goes tomoro

anybody else had any problems like this?

bennjamin
09-02-2005, 09:44 AM
i have ( and still do lol) - basically its soemthing in the ignition sense - but i just havent been bothered to go over with the $100 and get a new set of spark leads lol. ( btw....my leads are a good 12 years old...OEM is made to last) .

STOCK
09-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Just do a quick check to see if all the ignition leads are plugged in properly.
Mine had a problem like yours before and it was just a lead that unplugged itself.

Denchy
27-02-2005, 10:31 PM
I hve had a similar problem. The idle will get lumpy down to almost stalling about 4 or five times and then boyakasha! up to 1200rpm once then back to 850 - 900 rpm..smooth as J lo's booty, i have been told there might be a vacume leak but its not frequent though and if i engage the a/c this doesnt change the nature of the beast. been going on for a while and it does get embaressing when around people who know its not sposed to be like dat.. but i have had a kid in a 82 era lude convinced its got a lumpy cam. Having said that the dude kept tellin me he had a twin turbo engine.. would not entertain the idea that it was actualy twin carb. (thats if they came with twin carb??) :p