PDA

View Full Version : CL9 Base and Luxury have same headlight housing?

DC5.Raven
22-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Just wondering if the CL9 Base model and Luxury have interchangeable headlight housings?

E.g., Would the headlights from a Luxury model fit the Base model and still be able to use the H1 halogen?
Or would you have to upgrade to HIDs also?

Thanks

Adrian128
22-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I am pretty sure they will fit physically... but the connections will be different, and most probably the mounting points for the bulb itself.. with the HID having a totally different kind of bulb.

I CU2
22-07-2011, 04:47 PM
The cut off within the lens of the luxury would be designed for a HID as well.

jono_l
22-07-2011, 05:14 PM
The housings should be similar externally - mounting points are definitely the same. The HID would have an additional hole at the bottom of the housing to facilitate mounting of the ballast. I don't think you'd be able to fit a H1 bulb in the HID headlights as they use D2S bulbs which mount very differently. Even if you were able to find a way to mount the bulbs, as I CU2 mentioned, the cutoff would be incorrect for the halogens, and you'd also run into other problems caused by a shift in the focal point of the bulb.

It may be possible to swap the halogen projector from the base model to the HID unit, but having never tried that I really can't say! Mind you, if you've gone as far as putting the HID headlights into the standard model you may as well upgrade to HID! At least it'll be a conversion done properly with real D2S bulbs and the proper HID cutoff, even if you're missing the washers and levellers which IMHO don't do much to reduce glare despite what the regulations suggest.