PDA

View Full Version : another engine conversion help question.

exshankerz
22-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Hey guys

I have just decided to do a engine conversion with my 93 eg4.

ive done alot of reading on this forums and others about similar topics but cant seem to get all the specifics i need.

first i am picking between a b18c2 and a h22a. ( ive read alot more trouble to convert with the h22a into a eg?) also i have $3200 to start the build doing a DIY with help hoping to get everything i need to make the car run with 3.2k?)

What my main concerns are HIDDEN cost i do not know for exp Legal RW do i need engineer cert? the hole ltr difference atm i have a 1.5 ltr.
and then you have insurance problems? will they cover you? power to weight? what extra prices will they hit you on?

would i need to upgrade brakes suspension?

I am in the very early learning stages of cars just a run down on whats the go to get it done legal price wise? what components would i need to get the car running, is 3.2k dreaming to get this project done?

yet to source any engines.. any sites to Australia JDM engine places , well i have found a few private sellers is about it..

what engine would be the best choice.. ( that question will never get answered, but practicability for my budget and DIY job with legal things)

what would you need basics for getting engine in and running , ECU/gearbox/loom/engine/ ?/?/?/?.?

what is your comments on this project and how would you go about it?

thanks in advance sorry for asking some one to right 1000 words haha. any advice welcome <3

Cartoon
23-07-2011, 04:55 PM
If it was me on your budget I would loking for a vtir dc2 integra swap. lots of parts are a direct bolt on and you should be able to get a complete package close to your budget.

As for hidden costs will depend on what state you live in and what the rules are in that state. I would be doing a full service on the motor and box while they are out of the car (all fluids, timing belt, water pump and such)

As a basic run down the swap package will need the following

Mounts, loome, ecu, motor, box, shift linkages. You may need to allow for any missing sensors, cable to hydro clutch swap and a brake upgrade (vtir discs and calipers as a min).

From memory it was a fairly simple swap and also for around the same money you can looking into a b16a (local one).

grifty
23-07-2011, 04:58 PM
since its a EG4 you will also need parts to do an EFI conversion, how much $$$ are you looking to spend?

might be cheaper to buy another car which has the conversion done already.

hmetro24
23-07-2011, 05:13 PM
If you want to save money, get a wrecked Vtir, so you will have everything you want.If you want to start buying parts, it is going to cost you more.
First you need to change:
Fuel tank, you do not need to change fuel lines, just flare the lines and use EFI hoses.
Fuel pump,
Loom,
Engine mounts
Timing belt,water pump,sparks is a good idea to change since the engine is out of the car. Bushes, brake pads,Geadbox fluid, engine fluid, coolant..
Also clutch kit, machined fly wheel or get a lighter one.
Also you need to get you car engineered.

cable to hydro clutch swap and a brake upgrade (vtir discs and calipers as a min).

Also Eg4 have hydro clutch, so you do not need cable to hydro clutch swap

Cartoon
23-07-2011, 05:25 PM
they hydro but carb? sorry i dont know my Eg numbers to well :)

exshankerz
23-07-2011, 05:44 PM
thanks guys very helpful!

yeah my budget atm is 3.2k but i am going to be spending more over a year period id say this year i would like to spend around 5k all up a few mods.. the 3.2k is just to get it all done and be able to drive (not inculding engineer cert if you say i will need one)

thats good yeah carby engine atm so thats a + with the hydro

i could buy a already done conversion but i want to learn and do my own style with mods and just have fun on the way.

b16a seem alright but it seems the b18c2 would have just that bit more extra kick so to speak.

now i have just came across this thread saying i cant put a older engine into a newer car? how does that work also i live in VIC , what years are the b18c2s?

tomorrow i am going to talk to my mechanic about it and his son works for a honda so im guessing he would be able to help me out about the legal factors.. but keep the help coming guys! its helping me understand what i need to get and the prices :D ty !!

hmetro24
23-07-2011, 06:14 PM
If you want to learn, You can also Upgrade to D-series EFI engine and later when you get all the experience, so jump to a better engine, or if you want an extra knowledge get a turbo kit.
Also D-series is cheaper to get,so if something goes wrong it will not cost as much as B or H or K.
You can upgrade the handling,wheels, shocks/springs... and when you have extra money Do the swap.

JDM.Power
23-07-2011, 06:16 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?47020-Motor-Change-guide-for-EG-*-B-D-H-K-SERIES-!!!!

this will help you out with most questions you are after.

tiksie
24-07-2011, 10:43 AM
What's with all of these threads with people stating "I've read heaps but couldn't find the answers" when the answers are already everywhere..

grifty
24-07-2011, 11:01 AM
with 3.2k you will only be able to do a B16a2 conversion if you do all the work yourself......