PDA

View Full Version : Shaky/Sluggish acceleration

dwbrah
25-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd get some of your opinions and inputs on what could be causing my S from running quite sluggish and a little shaky on acceleration.

Couple of weeks ago my engine light turned on, so I had it scanned and it came up with Code 13 - BARO/Atmospheric Pressure Sensor.

I tried the good old map whack and also tried unplugging and replugging the map sensor.

This did remove the engine light temporarily, but it did pop back on maybe once since then.

Now I noticed that when I accelerate it seems to struggle to get the revs up and feels a bit shaky. Also on neutral, idle seems to die down slightly and go back to normal.

The idle issue doesn't happen too often, maybe every now and then, but the acceleration is bugging me.

Should I try replacing the map sensor or is there anything else that could be causing this?

Cheers in advanced,

AusS2000
25-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Why are you focusing on the MAP sensor? Wasn't the error on the BAROmetric sensor?

Got some bad news for you if it is. The BARO is on the ECU and not replaceable.

Where are you and what MY is your S?

dwbrah
25-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm in Sydney and it's a MY01.

I tried the MAP sensor cause the mechanic said it could either be that or the MAF sensor... lol.

So if it's not replaceable... is there anything else I could do/try?

trism
25-07-2011, 12:05 PM
well it cant be the map or the maf, an engine has one or the other, and they are totally opposite.

A MAF(mass air flow), or AFM is the air flow meter, its mounted just after the air filter, and has a little sensor that measures the airflow past it, and uses that data to determine how much fuel is required.

A MAP sensor, or manifold absolute pressure measures the pressure inside the intake manifold. Its more accurate than a MAF, because while the maf just measures the volume of air passing through the intake pipe, a MAP sensor, because it relies on vacuum, also takes into account the density, which is affected by temperature as well.

So on a cold night, a MAP sensed motor will feel more of an advantage than a MAF sensed car.

Im pretty sure that all Hondas are MAP sensed, so if your mechanic told you to check the AFM, dont go to him, he doesnt know what he is talking about.

But just liek AusS2000 said, th BARO sensor is on the ECU.

AusS2000
25-07-2011, 02:17 PM
S2000 has a MAP not a MAF.

Here's what you can do. Drive to my place. I have a spare MAP sensor and a spare ECU. I'm guessing one or the other will fix the problem. When we find out which you know what you need to replace. Unfortunately mine are not for sale though.

dwbrah
25-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your inputs guys,

Aus, when would be a good time to swing by? Hopefully weekends :D

Any idea how much I'm looking at for another ECU?

Thanks a lot for your help though.

AusS2000
25-07-2011, 02:52 PM
This Sat arvo is good.

No idea on ECU cost, nor whether you have to code it for your keys or not.

dwbrah
25-07-2011, 02:54 PM
No worries,

I'll inbox you before Saturday just to confirm.

Cheers!

AusS2000
25-07-2011, 02:55 PM
No probs!

s2kjn
26-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Can I come to? haha

AusS2000
26-07-2011, 11:23 AM
LOL, sure. Who's bringing the beer?

s2kjn
26-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Ill bring u a six pack of whatever u want if u can lend me ur knowledge for a couple of hrs! although, that might diminish after ur 5th beer!

dwbrah
26-07-2011, 03:39 PM
It's a party! lol

AusS2000
31-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Well we had a good day. Couldn't help dwb with his sluggish problem because he didn't turn up.

But JN and I shot the shit most of the afternoon and I gave him and his brother a ride in the beast. Let's just say there a couple of new turbo S2000 fans now. ;)

s2kjn
01-08-2011, 08:47 AM
definitely, DeFiniTely, DEFINITELY an s2000 turbo fan! Those who haven't been in one, cant say that the s should not b turbo'd blah blah blah. Seeing & feeling is believing!!!

dwbrah
01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
:( wish i was there..... dammit lol
oh well hopefully there's a next time.
at least you guys had fun! :)

dwbrah
07-09-2011, 08:09 AM
*Update*

My CEL tends to pop on more frequently now, so I had it scanned and the code came up with 113 BARO sensor.
Now at first, with some research most people suggested to replace my MAP sensor as it could be faulty, so I did with an OEM Honda one, but still the problem persists. CEL still pops on and the car is still sluggish when accelerating.
I've also noticed that when on neutral, my revs drop to a near 0 RPM then raise back up to about 800. Someone from s2ki suggested spraying some carby clean around the intake and vacuum hoses to see whether my revs change.
I did this and noticed that it was more stable so I suspect a leak somewhere.. With further research some suggest to change my o2 sensors (while others say it won't make a difference) and others suggest to reset my ECU as the BARO sensor is located in the ECU (I dont really want to reset my ECU as some people have reported that doing this has caused bigger problems).

My car is bone stock, has anyone come across any problems like this? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

s2kjn
07-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I had the same problem, still do but not always. Oh & I dont/didn't get and CEL errors. I didn't end up changing my MAP, I just did the MAP whack procedure on s2ki. I remember reading somewhere that it's not so normal to feel this sluggish feeling, but it is common. It has something to do with the s relearning everytime yuo drive it, so it adjusts to external temperatures - someone correct me if im wrong here - which is why when its a cold day in Sydney, my car, upon warm up always dips below 1000 rpm until its been driven for at least 15 mins, and shakes as if its about to stall. Before I did the MAP whack though, it did shut down several times in peak hour traffic, which is what led me to doind the whack in the first place.

s2kjn
07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
BTW, did u reset your ecu after doind the MAP whack and relpacing it with a new one?

dwbrah
07-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I haven't reset my ECU, but after putting the new MAP sensor in, my mechanic cleared the CEL but it still pops on after about 10-15 minutes of driving. I'm a bit iffy on resetting my ECU as I've heard that it could lead to bigger problems. Has anyone tried this to confirm whether it's safe? I've avoided driving the S lately as it just feels so out of power and just doesn't feel as though enough air sucking through..

s2kjn
07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Nothing wrong with resetting your ECU as far as I'm aware. I've done mine at least 4 times now, every time I changed an exhaust component and for the MAP whack.

dwbrah
07-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I'll give it a shot then, cheers man.

I'm considering just replacing my ECU... seeing that the BARO sensor is located in there.

Just wanna know before I do replace if it anyone else has any other suggestions or work arounds.

s2kjn
07-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Well you might as well try giving it the old whack yourself:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=549145&st=0

This how you clear the ECU/CEL/relearn your ECU:

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=549159&st=0