PDA

View Full Version : Lose power suddenly

hmetro24
26-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I am having this problem since couple of days, but it happen sometimes.
The car always start first time and idle well. Its drive well but suddenly it lose power and start vibrating like its running in 3 Cylinders.
Some times it happen for couple of minutes than run normal after than again. I cleaned the throttle body and tried another o2 sensor, reset ecu. Checked spark plugs, they look alright.
what else could be the problem Fuel pump? Main relay? Dizzy ? spark Leads?
I will check Dizzy caps tomorrow

kenjz
26-07-2011, 08:06 PM
possibly check the dizzy for excessive build up on the metal rod things. i just removed it with a flathead screwdriver. be gentle with it.
that however was the not the fix for the car.

changed the spark plug leads to the blue ngk ones and problem was resolved.

edit* should also ad i was experiencing the same symptoms as you. vibrations between 2,500 rpm to 3.
loss of power

hmetro24
26-07-2011, 08:18 PM
When i push more gas it run normal, I reckon 1 of the leads are damage because its not sitting well. also could be sputtering like plp plp plp plp like boxer engine. Wil Do compression Test too

nugget
26-07-2011, 09:58 PM
maybe clean your injectors?

egb16b
26-07-2011, 11:36 PM
sounds like spark plug leads or dizzy cap to me.

if your from s.e suburbs you can come around and we can swap the leads over n see if that helps..

TheSaint
27-07-2011, 12:20 AM
also get ur injectors serviced and run a batch of fuel treatment through ur system to clean out any crap in the tank/lines etc

Nulon octane boost and clean does a good job

TbM
27-07-2011, 12:29 AM
If you think its the spark plug leads and you have a multi meter you can check the resistance is still within factory spec,let me know your car/engine if you dont have the specs and ill see if i got a workshop manual on it, 90's 4 cyl hondas are usually about Max 25k IIRC. You remove the dizzy cap with the leads still attached and put one probe on the 1st spark plug lead and the other probe on the corresponding point in the dizzy cap like in the pic below, repeat for 2nd, 3rd and 4th lead. If your leads arnt clipping on to the plug properly then just grab some long nose pliers and bend the metal inside the spark plug end of the lead so it will clip onto the plug securely.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/TbMindustrys/IMAG0355-1.jpg

hmetro24
27-07-2011, 06:40 AM
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5034/gffgp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/gffgp.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
I will check the leads today and will add fuel treatment .

blastnpast
27-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Pull out your spark plugs and look for any oil on them, this was happening to my integra b18c engine b4 I sold it, had an issue with the valve seatings that kept letting oil into the 4th plug's chamber causing it to foul my 3rd plug and made it run like a subaru lol

hmetro24
27-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I checked the spark plugs and they was alright no sign for oil. I checked the leads they are getting around 11000ohm.
Drive the car for an hour, it work perfect. I checked the oil it was a bit low and tap it up. I will check on my way back home. I gonna add some fuel cleaner today and will see how its going.

hmetro24
27-07-2011, 12:54 PM
i had 1 hour break. I went to supercheap, got comprassion test tools and did the test. its 155 156 155 155 . So comprassion is good. Put nulon cleaner . Today so far nothing happen. How to tell if the engine is burning oil, other than blue smoke ?

TheSaint
27-07-2011, 03:42 PM
it is a fairly common problem for the older honda engines to hesitate like this
both my Eg8 and my Dc2 did this when i first bought them
it turned out to be a build up of crap from people using dodgy/cheap fuels over the years

to fix it i put several batch's of fuel treatment through and put the car on a strict diet of 95/98 octane fuel from a reputable source (caltex deppo in my case)
after the first batch i also changed the fuel filter and had the injectors serviced as well (ultrasonic clean + replacement of nozzle heads)
injector service is about $110 at a reputable mechanic

i also reset the ECU after all of those things

very occasionally if its been a while since a fuel treatment and i have been using 95 fuel instead of 98
when the car gets low on the tank it will start playing up again - must still have a bit of crap in the tank
so i put another batch of fuel treatment in while its very low and top it right up with 98

hasnt done it in a long time tho

hmetro24
27-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Car run good on my way back home, I am using 95 or 98 depends on the petrol station it get in my face almost bp or caltex.
I used Nulon fuel treatment today and will see how its going.
Also I'm just curious, since this the first manual car i have, The car should roll if you release the clutch slowly on first gear with out push gas at all. Is that right ?

beeza
27-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Yup,that's right.

I would change the fuel filter as The saint said,fuel pump couldn't hurt too.

Upper engine cleaner,called 'super engine conditioner'

hmetro24
27-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Yup,that's right.

I would change the fuel filter as The saint said,fuel pump couldn't hurt too.

Upper engine cleaner,called 'super engine conditioner'
Fuel filter is new, I gonna give it another days and see how it's act

AK Type R
29-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Could be a TPS issue ... has the many symptons of a tps problem... ?

beeza
30-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Or maybe ICM if it's just the last few days,cause it plays up then fouls out.

TheSaint
01-12-2011, 08:42 PM
iv just run into this problem with my neighbours D16a8

pulled the plugs one at a time while running and cylinder3 was the only one that didnt make a difference

i changed the plug with the same result

so either the injector is fouled or its a TPS/FITV/IACV problem

will calibrate the TPS and clean out the FITV/IACV next week and see if it makes a difference

it only happens on this one at full throttle - if i apply half throttle it revs up normally

hmetro24
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
I clean tb , iavc ,calibrate the voltage, and it's working. used fuel cleaner. and fixed the problem.

TheSaint
02-12-2011, 01:51 AM
I clean tb , iavc ,calibrate the voltage, and it's working. used fuel cleaner. and fixed the problem.

so you fixed the problem? or is it still doing it after inspecting the head?

hmetro24
02-12-2011, 09:40 AM
so you fixed the problem? or is it still doing it after inspecting the head?
You messed up with the threads mate, this one is old thread. This problem has been solved. the other thread is for different car, different problem