PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake's filter potentially exposed to water in rainy conditions

mikul
27-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, i've recently bought and installed a cold air intake and the filter is positioned near the wheel which exposes it to water during rainy conditions. Is there any way of readjusting the pipes so water doesn't get in the filter? Or is there a way of preventing the filter from exposure to water?

TheSaint
27-07-2011, 05:06 PM
two points here ...

1. goto honda and order a new wheel arch liner - that will enclose the filter off

2. the entire filter and pipe has to be COMPLETELY submerged to ANY damage to the engine
small droplets of water and small amounts of water will not hinder the engine - it may even lower intake temps

DLO01
27-07-2011, 05:15 PM
You need to get yourself the inner guard that ^^^ The Saint stated above. This boxes off the filter and you'll have no problems unless you drive through half a meter of standing water.

The way it is now is not good. Even in rainy conditions your tyre will be pumping water on to your filter. ie not good at all.

meatball
27-07-2011, 05:23 PM
should be fine if u drive normally. i had a cai with no guard liner and a velocity stack at the front bar. no problems at all driving in the rain. just dont gun it

DC2-PWR
27-07-2011, 05:29 PM
should be fine if u drive normally. i had a cai with no guard liner and a velocity stack at the front bar. no problems at all driving in the rain. just dont gun it

+1 rep

and get a injen hydro filter from jdm yard it will help aswell.

DLO01
27-07-2011, 05:44 PM

At the front bar as in pointing forward? If so it would be drawing in falling rain droplets from the front, this has nothing to do with the OP's situation above. In his case the tyre will be literally pumping water on to the filter, as in a constant stream of water. A much worse scenario.

JSpec89
27-07-2011, 06:09 PM
My Cai sat like that, but I cut up the gaurd liner so that it 'boxs' in the pod. Cause I couldn't use the full liner.
How often should u change the pod if its abit dirty.

mikul
27-07-2011, 06:10 PM
two points here ...

1. goto honda and order a new wheel arch liner - that will enclose the filter off

2. the entire filter and pipe has to be COMPLETELY submerged to ANY damage to the engine
small droplets of water and small amounts of water will not hinder the engine - it may even lower intake temps

How much do you think the wheel arch liner at Honda dealer will cost? I was thinking of using mud flaps but i dont think its useful in this situation.

trism
27-07-2011, 06:28 PM
i had a pipe in my corolla that pointed straight down under the car, and was only about 80mm off the ground. i didnt run a filter. i never ever ever had problems, even driving in torrential rain.

JayTea18
27-07-2011, 06:28 PM
If i was you i will get a mud guard or get a short ram intake , Why ?? On sunny days the CAI will be fine, she will whistle like a champ but as soon as it rains your in big trouble she will choke big time , you might get away with it for a while but there will be a day you will Hydro lock , I bought a hydro- shield for my cai aswell. That repels water not makes it water proof. How do i know or this my car is lowered so i took my mud guards off so my wheels dont rub. Next week i bought A CAI, One day i hit v-tec on a rainy day made a funny noise ( hydro lock) drove normal and still hydro locked. My brother a qualified mechanic said if you keep driving gydro locking all the time it will lead to engine damage , Oil starts getting all milky leads too bad stuff.

trism
27-07-2011, 07:13 PM
you do realise that hydro locked means the motor wont even turn over. Hence the "locked"

you cant "keep driving hydrolocked" because a little bit of water in the engine will simply be burnt up.

In order to hydrolock a motor it needs to ingest literally litres of water.

JayTea18
27-07-2011, 07:33 PM
i just got burned =]wow your right i just checked google. My mistake. I dont know what happen to my CAI then. Im guessing the filter was soaked wet to the bone and couldnt breath properly.

DC2-PWR
27-07-2011, 07:37 PM
i just got burned =]wow your right i just checked google. My mistake. I dont know what happen to my CAI then. Im guessing the filter was soaked wet to the bone and couldnt breath properly.

Why would you get burnt, feel relieved dude.

JayTea18
27-07-2011, 07:39 PM
i was relieved ages ago when i converted to a short ram. Right after my CAI started choking. I thought the term when the CAI choked is hydro lock . I was wrong =[ well atleast i learnt a new info for my honda =]

TheSaint
27-07-2011, 11:05 PM
if its all setup right and u are smart about the way you drive (ie not driving into 1mtr of water) than it shouldnt be a problem

i bought my wheel arch liner for about $100 and than modded it with a grill just under the filter so that it was pulling air up

i drive in rainy conditions all the time with no problem at all

mikul
28-07-2011, 12:14 AM
if its all setup right and u are smart about the way you drive (ie not driving into 1mtr of water) than it shouldnt be a problem

i bought my wheel arch liner for about $100 and than modded it with a grill just under the filter so that it was pulling air up

i drive in rainy conditions all the time with no problem at all

Would the wheel arch liner still protect the filter even if i lower my car? Because i'm going to lower the front by 2.5" sometime next month. And was the Wheel Arch Liner $100 for a pair or just one?

Sleepy.
28-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Would the wheel arch liner still protect the filter even if i lower my car? Because i'm going to lower the front by 2.5" sometime next month. And was the Wheel Arch Liner $100 for a pair or just one?

Regardless of your car being low or not, the wheel arch liner will always act as a sort of protection/barrier between your filter and the ground.
Just go with what "Thesaint" mentioned above, as long as you drive smart & dont drive into deep water, you should be fine.

EG8 CIVIC
28-07-2011, 09:32 AM

just go to wrekers and get one..should be cheap..or at least get a quote!

cheers

Banana_hammock
28-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I would also suggest checking with a wrecker first. You might be lucky and find one in near new condition. Also, if i remember correctly, AEM made a bypass valve which would work against too much water entering the intake charge. The valve wouldn't be as effective at higher rpm bands as lower rpm ranges.