PDA

View Full Version : Voltage stabilizers worth it?

glazewolf
27-07-2011, 08:50 PM
_____

white_ep3_civic
27-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Probably not really needed unless you are running a sound system that draws alot of power.

white_ep3_civic
27-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Still should be ok without out one still. But if you still want to get one you can.

bennjamin
27-07-2011, 09:10 PM
no point.

Upgrade/ refresh your existing grounds.

euRo_noob
27-07-2011, 09:20 PM
no point.

Upgrade/ refresh your existing grounds.

How do you do that? :o And how much will it be? (For a CU2?)

bennjamin
27-07-2011, 09:24 PM
How do you do that? :o And how much will it be? (For a CU2?)

well on older hondas you can replace old/frayed grounds with new ones - or upgrade the existing grounds with slightly larger / thicker wires. Easy !
You probably wouldnt need to touch the grounds on your CU2 - new car.

euRo_noob
27-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Ahh fair enough. What if I was going to get a new sound system, would I need one then? Also, do they help with anything else as I've read that your car 'idles smoother' and drives 'smoother'? Or it could just be a placebo effect..

trism
27-07-2011, 09:54 PM
just upgrade the grounds. the voltage stabilisers are pointless

http://www.formaudio.com/miscellaneous-work/95

Fredoops
27-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I've got both actually, it'll help your battery last longer, having said that i felt an definite improvement on the quality and loudness of my factory auto system. and idles slightly smoother.

Probably because my car is almost 8 years old. and the existing grounds are pretty screwed.

shmivic
28-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Voltage stabiliser's are recommended when running Hondata K-pro.
To prevent ELD error code, And act as a little insurance if you put the wrong spark plugs in also.

But for standard car, they do nothing.

aaronng
28-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Voltage stabilisers don't do anything against protecting the car when you put the wrong spark plugs in.

At the very best, it is a placebo effect if you are not running some custom racing high intensity current/voltage newfangled ignition system.

If your hands are itching, then try making your own ground cables. It is a fun weekend DIY project.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?45719-Ground-cable-ghetto-bling-tightass-make-your-own-style

euRo_noob
28-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Voltage stabilisers don't do anything against protecting the car when you put the wrong spark plugs in.

At the very best, it is a placebo effect if you are not running some custom racing high intensity current/voltage newfangled ignition system.

If your hands are itching, then try making your own ground cables. It is a fun weekend DIY project.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?45719-Ground-cable-ghetto-bling-tightass-make-your-own-style

Oops, I wasn't really thinking when I did my posts. I was thinking of a grounding kit, not a voltage stabilizer :S
But still, grounding kit - what are the benefits? (sorry if I'm thread jacking D:)

shmivic
28-07-2011, 10:23 AM

See here for what I'm on about

http://www.hondata.com/techksparkplugs.html

Like i said, Only if you have a K-pro.

Fredoops
28-07-2011, 10:42 AM
yeah I was thinking of getting both? so do you reckon it's worth it ? which one do you have?

Pivot raizin voltage stabilizer and HKS ground wires, cost $100 in total..

trism
28-07-2011, 10:58 AM
All a voltage stabilizer is, is capacitors in a box.

But really, even if they were effective, its simply a bandaid fix for a rooted battery. I know people that have been in the car audio industry for 20 years, and they don't use voltage stabilizers. Just upgraded engine bay earths. And these are setups that draw massive power, but also have sound quality to rival the best home theatre setups.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

aaronng
28-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Oops, I wasn't really thinking when I did my posts. I was thinking of a grounding kit, not a voltage stabilizer :S
But still, grounding kit - what are the benefits? (sorry if I'm thread jacking D:)

No difference that I could find if your original ground cable was in good condition.

Lukezen27
28-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Voltage stabilizers are a joke on most modern Honda's

My battery slowly died on my EP3 over a few months so I finally changed it out.. but before changing the battery I tested the OEM voltage reg system to make sure it wasn't my alternator not charging or voltage reg problems.

Multimeter readings were 14.333v no matter what! Revving a/c on/off lights on/off

his indicates the standard OEM systems is rock solid and more than likely using better quality components than the aftermarket voltage stabilizes would employ.

IMO