PDA

View Full Version : EK rear 6x9's rattle

japa_VTEC
28-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,

I've upgraded my sound system in my EK hatch and the thing just won't stop rattling.
At first I thought it was the number plate and rear wing, but I tightened that all up and stuck some foam in there and my 6x9's are still rattling like crazy in the boot.

It seems to be coming from the rear parcel shelf but I can't seem to pinpoint the problem. I've tried tightening screws, shoving bits of foam and cardboard in some gaps and even making sure the wires under the 6x9's aren't vibrating against the plastic interior.

lol it seems to rattle more in the cold :S

HELP PLEASE!

outatime
28-07-2011, 11:29 AM
i think that might be the plastic studs on the parcel shelf. try wrapping it with electrical tape so it will sit tighter.

vtecing
28-07-2011, 02:03 PM
my eg does the same, haven't been bothered to suss it out yet but if I figure it out ill let you know

redefine
28-07-2011, 03:02 PM
my ek does the same and it dosent even have the parcel shelf...i think its part of the trim near where the rear seats are held in, if i hold the trim tight it seems to dampen the rattle abit, but i havent pulled it apart to check what it is yet

japa_VTEC
29-07-2011, 03:53 PM
i think that might be the plastic studs on the parcel shelf. try wrapping it with electrical tape so it will sit tighter.

Tried the plastic studs, but it seemed that pushing down on the speaker cover (like how redefine is saying) stopped the rattling. I even shoved paper in all the gaps and it still doesn't stop it.

hmmm i'll continue my investigation

outatime
31-07-2011, 01:47 AM
have you tried removing the new speakers and see if the rattle stops?

TbM
31-07-2011, 02:55 AM
Tried the plastic studs, but it seemed that pushing down on the speaker cover (like how redefine is saying) stopped the rattling. I even shoved paper in all the gaps and it still doesn't stop it.

hmmm i'll continue my investigation

Remove the speaker cover, if the rattle stops you have found your problem, then just simply put something between the parts that are vibrating, paper wont really stop vibrations you need foam or rubber to properly stop rattles, i often use cheap/dodgy double sided tape as its usualy foam and its easy to apply and remove.

arverson
31-07-2011, 01:32 PM
simple process off 'elimination' then 'fixing where needed'. sounds obvious, because it is. take out the whole rear (trims, parcel shelf. speaker grills, speakers themselves, anything else 'back there') one at a time. eventually you'll find the culprit.

japa_VTEC
31-07-2011, 04:49 PM
i've tried the speaker covers, not them. If i remove the speaker then it doesn't rattle, obviously because there's nothing rattling it

arverson
01-08-2011, 05:43 PM
how are they mounted?

outatime
02-08-2011, 12:34 AM
i've tried the speaker covers, not them. If i remove the speaker then it doesn't rattle, obviously because there's nothing rattling it

could it be the wires rubbing against the plastic trims? or the screws that came with the speakers are too small or loose?

tsol0811
02-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Is the speakers mounted with all 4 screws?
I only put 3 screws in cause the last one was a bitch and now it rattles sometimes

nikolaz01
02-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Check the actual trim itself.. The one that the speakers sit on~ the plastic trim tabs that screw into the body of the car it should have yellow backing on it, check to see if there broken or snapped. I removed the yellow plastic that u screw a bolt into and the rattles gone try that.

Let me know how you go

AYSHUNBOY
05-08-2011, 12:31 PM
is it a hatchback ?
if it is it can be your hatchback tray or what you can do is DIY a custom box and put it all together that way all the weight just hangs off your 6x9 boxes try it and see how you go i did it in my eg sounds perfect no rattles

japa_VTEC
06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
they are mounted normally, i managed to get all 4 screws on tight. Yea i've wrapped up the wires so they don't touch the plastic and covered them in foam. i'm about to give up haha :(

Slow.ek1
21-09-2011, 11:35 PM
your problem is 2 little yellow clips from the plactic trim to the body (not the speaker cover) this happend with my car aswell when i took my old 6x9s out i was a bit rough becuase they were old and i had new 1s to put in anyway .... the problem is they have come a bit loose and everytime the bass kicks on the 6x9s theres a rattle followed by a little squeak it took me weeks to find this problem and fix it..

i just hope this has helped you to solving your problem