PDA

View Full Version : CU2 handled worse than a Lancer?

boleh
29-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Posted before?

"Even a Mitsubishi Lancer with a weakling 2.0-liter engine and a power-sapping continuously variable transmission beats the TSX through the cones with a 65.4-mph speed. The TSX performs similarly on the skid pad, and its 0.79g is what we'd expect from a larger, heavier family sedan.

It's like the TSX hasn't had a sure hand to guide its development at the Honda proving grounds."

http://www.insideline.com/acura/tsx/2009/full-test-2009-acura-tsx.html

Adrian128
29-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Who cares? Different market, different suspension tune...

G3NX
29-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Lower your car with coilovers and install a rear sway bay. Then you notice a big improvement.

Fredoops
29-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Cu2 is not a sports vehicle at all... And it's too heavy... And chassis flexes like a mofo.

MR_LATE
29-07-2011, 10:32 PM
cud b the driver lol

natnat
29-07-2011, 10:54 PM
buy CU2 for comfort and cruising, not for traffic light grand prix, skip pan and slalom!

buy Lancer if budget only allows $20k for a driveaway deal :p

testing these 2 cars on track, claiming natural handling and balance, 0-60mph, cornering G's, it's all just gymick for marketing purposes.

TBH i was very surprised seeing how thin the rear sway bar on the CU2 when it was lifted on the hoist.. but i was comparing it to H&R 22mm/26mm sway bars set... :p

Type R Positive
29-07-2011, 10:59 PM
And chassis flexes like a mofo.You really think so?
It's a million times stiffer than the CL9. The steel safety cell and high sills have dramatically stiffened the chassis.

white_ep3_civic
29-07-2011, 11:11 PM
A euro wasn't made to beat other cars on a race track. It was made as a family car. So you can't really compare it to a "sporty" hatch/sedan

I CU2
29-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Lancer is uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeh.

but prettier than a corolla sedan.

natnat
29-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Lancer is uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggggleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeh.

but prettier than a corolla sedan.

gotta be specific and not include the EVO's :)

Fredoops
30-07-2011, 01:58 AM
You really think so?
It's a million times stiffer than the CL9. The steel safety cell and high sills have dramatically stiffened the chassis.

Imo when compared to the current lancer on the GS platform... Very much so, EVO 10 runs on the bog standard chassis with no modifications.

Look up Mitsubishi rise, it's rather impressive technology

jzx_andy
30-07-2011, 04:13 AM
in the end of the day a CU2 failed against a lancer on the track (im sure you guys brag about this kind of stuff where the accord euro beats more expensive cars on the track :) ).. but both cars handle like crap from the factory anyway!

antony
30-07-2011, 07:58 AM
I think the Euro handles amazingly,as it came from the factory...well the CU2 Anyway.

And noeone would cross shop the 2 anyway.

The sedan is nice looking,the hatch is fugly.

MR_LATE
30-07-2011, 11:47 AM
ok.. wud it make u feel better if i said that. the window function in the lancer 2010 comes with only auto down on driver side only and no auto up and 2011 comes with auto down on both driver and passenger... this is the vrx we are talking about, $30k ..... no key hole light, no courtesy light, left side mirror doesnt go down bla blabla

sure our car might not handle as well.. but for a base model vs higher end model lancer,,, IMO we own :S

seanneko
30-07-2011, 12:25 PM
ok.. wud it make u feel better if i said that. the window function in the lancer 2010 comes with only auto down on driver side only and no auto up and 2011 comes with auto down on both driver and passenger... this is the vrx we are talking about, $30k ..... no key hole light, no courtesy light, left side mirror doesnt go down bla blabla

sure our car might not handle as well.. but for a base model vs higher end model lancer,,, IMO we own :S

lol... That's actually important to people? When I bought my car, whether or not it had auto up on the power windows or an ignition keyhole light was probably at the absolute bottom of the list of priorities.

MR_LATE
30-07-2011, 11:28 PM
lol... That's actually important to people? When I bought my car, whether or not it had auto up on the power windows or an ignition keyhole light was probably at the absolute bottom of the list of priorities.

its the little things :P

Fredoops
30-07-2011, 11:40 PM

Little things can annoy the shit out of you...

I CU2
31-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Little things can annoy the shit out of you...

The 300C's plastic woodgrain gear selector makes the whole car feel cheap.

antony
31-07-2011, 10:31 AM
I think its the little things which make the Euros so desirable,apart from the comfort,looks,drive,etc.

MR_LATE
31-07-2011, 11:33 AM
i dont want to start hating on them prancers :P

Adrian128
31-07-2011, 07:23 PM

hahaha.. a higher end Lancer that is still $3k cheaper than a base model Euro.. I would expect some extra things for that price.

I CU2
31-07-2011, 08:53 PM
hahaha.. a higher end Lancer that is still $3k cheaper than a base model Euro.. I would expect some extra things for that price.

Flagship Lancer is the Aspire, right?

EVO is in a different class.

Rudy
31-07-2011, 09:54 PM
lancer is smaller and weighs a lot less...silly comparison

antony
01-08-2011, 06:52 AM
lancer is smaller and weighs a lot less...silly comparison

Exactly...

tron07
02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
CU2 feels bloated over CL9

I CU2
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
CU2 is a fatty fat fatty.

antony
02-08-2011, 09:48 PM
But the CU2 is a LOT of car for the money...

natnat
02-08-2011, 11:19 PM
i just drove an exact route twice this evening, 1 hour return each route, Eastwood to St Clair via M4 Motorway (90-110kmh speed limit).

first drive was in the CU2, going to pick up a large dog cage but it didn't fit... so i came back again in the GTI (useful hatchback).

so it was back to back comparison within 2 hours time frame via the exact route.

CU2: the drive was very comfy, road noise was minimal, but at 110kmh, the steering was a bit light to my liking and the car did not feel planted enough. when i purposely turned the steering right left a bit at a sudden while doing 110kmh, it felt less stable to me. when i purposely floored it from 90kmh to 110kmh, the response was slow although vtec kicked in with a noisy scream.

GTI (with Bilstein PSS10 coilover, H&R sways, Whiteline WALK, and other excessive bits and pieces): the drive was bumpy, road noise was ok at 110kmh but noisy when under load, the steering was heavy and the car felt very very planted. when i purposely turned the steering right left at a sudden, the car was still stable. when i purposely floored it from 90kmh, i had to quickly put my foot on the brake to keep it under 110kmh speed limit :p

conclusion: the CU2 is a very comfy car, a great cruiser and friendly to your back spinal cord. it is designed for comfort and not for fast speed handling on a race track or tight twisties or touge. :)

yes it is rather fat, it should have come in the V6 or a turbocharged version to balance its weight. for $40k something, you can get other cars with similar equipment, eg: Mazda 6, Suzuki Kizazi, Hyundai i35.. but these are no Honda. 10 years later, these other cars will look ancient and undesired while the Honda will still look nice like any other Honda Civics, S2000, Accord Euro and Integra from the early 2000 and late 90's when you look at them right now.

and the current non Evo Lancer.. i bet 10 years later it won't be as desirable as the Euro.

MR_LATE
02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
yes, i still look at cl9s and think "wow thats a nice car"....

antony
03-08-2011, 07:18 AM
natnat I fully agree with your comments,as when I look at the early Euros,2003 models,they still look so good,and one of my reasond for choosing the Euro ;ast year over all its competitors is that hopefully many years down the line it will still look fresh,be comfy,drive well and be desirable...

boleh
03-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I think the problem most people have with the CU2/TSX comes from what they had earlier expected the car to be (myself included). Honda/Acura market this as a "sports" variant of some sort.

Touring Sportscar eXperimental. What a mouthful. So it is a "Touring Sportscar" by official definition, and that is why it was being tested and critiqued as such by reviewers.

If you're looking for comfy ride as top priority, you'll be better accomodated in the Thai Accord.

The "eXperimental" bit has either gone horribly wrong, or at the end of the experimentation Honda engineers decide that this isn't going to be a sporty car after all.

boleh
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM
and the current non Evo Lancer.. i bet 10 years later it won't be as desirable as the Euro.

This I agree.

I CU2
03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
The brocher said it was an intelligent sports sedan.

Lies!

tron07
03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
But the CU2 is a LOT of car for the money...

I will agree with this... a new CU2 now is cheaper then a new CL9 back then and comes pack with more goodies, most probably due to the strong OZ currency. If I were to get a brand new car, its hard to pick another over CU2 with the budget of less then 35k

aaronng
03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
so it was back to back comparison within 2 hours time frame via the exact route.

CU2: the drive was very comfy, road noise was minimal, but at 110kmh, the steering was a bit light to my liking and the car did not feel planted enough. when i purposely turned the steering right left a bit at a sudden while doing 110kmh, it felt less stable to me. when i purposely floored it from 90kmh to 110kmh, the response was slow although vtec kicked in with a noisy scream.

GTI (with Bilstein PSS10 coilover, H&R sways, Whiteline WALK, and other excessive bits and pieces): the drive was bumpy, road noise was ok at 110kmh but noisy when under load, the steering was heavy and the car felt very very planted. when i purposely turned the steering right left at a sudden, the car was still stable. when i purposely floored it from 90kmh, i had to quickly put my foot on the brake to keep it under 110kmh speed limit :p

conclusion: the CU2 is a very comfy car, a great cruiser and friendly to your back spinal cord. it is designed for comfort and not for fast speed handling on a race track or tight twisties or touge. :)

The GTI had the advantage of coilovers! Need to either put the CU2 on coilovers to give it an even playing field or use a stock GTI. :p

boleh
03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
If I were to get a brand new car, its hard to pick another over CU2 with the budget of less then 35k

I know you love manual. The XR5 is on runout atm. $32k driveaway. Volvo I5 turbo. German made.