PDA

View Full Version : engine oil leaked everywhere, from where though??

japa_VTEC
29-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey guys,

I decided to change my engine oil and transmission fluid today and it all went horribly wrong. I've changed engine oil a number of times so I'm not new to this sort of stuff.

So I did all the same things; drain old oil, change filter (smeared some new oil on the rubber lip) and hand tightened it, put the plug back on with a new washer and filled her up with the new stuff.
Turn on my car and all of a sudden I get a huge leak coming from the bottom of my car. I instantly turned off my car and I pushed my car out of my garage so I could clean up the mess. It's dark now and I'm waiting to check out what happened tomorrow morning, but what the heck do you think it was leaking from? I'm thinking somehow it leaked from the oil filter (even though I hand tightened it)?

Just a side question, how much transmission fluid should my 99 EK1 be taking? I got up to 1.5L and it wouldn't take anymore (starting dripping out the filler hole), does that sound right? I thought it was around 2.7L

Thanks guys

trism
29-07-2011, 06:29 PM
double check that youve done the filter up tight enough, make sure that the sump plug is on properly and not cross threaded.

other than that, theres not much else to go wrong, unless you accidentaly damaged an external oil line somehow?

japa_VTEC
29-07-2011, 06:33 PM
couldn't be any of the oil lines, i haven't touched any of them.

i'm betting it's the oil filter not tightened enough............FML

dougie_504
29-07-2011, 06:58 PM
B16A takes I think 1.9L of tranny fluid. I'd be shocked if your D is taking 2.7L lol. As long as it comes out the filler hole, no problem.

japa_VTEC
29-07-2011, 08:50 PM
B16A takes I think 1.9L of tranny fluid. I'd be shocked if your D is taking 2.7L lol. As long as it comes out the filler hole, no problem.

Thanks mate, that sounds about right :)

BennyH
29-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Make sure your old oil filter seal is off with the old filter. I did the same mistake being too cocky and putting every thing back turned out that the old seal was still there. So then the new oil filter was siting on top of the old seal which shouldn't be happening. Biggest p*ss off.

TbM
29-07-2011, 11:06 PM
EDIT: Post removed as it said basicialy the same as above. Bennyh beat me too it lol.

jdmEG5
30-07-2011, 12:19 AM
check your dipstick 1st, see if you're losing any oil?
go underneath and check wheres the leaking starting from?
check the above as the others has posted..

Btw your car manual or auto? Auto takes around 3L-3.5Lmax.. manual takes around 2L - 2.5L between there..
Correct me if I'm wrong though

TbM
30-07-2011, 12:49 AM
^^^ Ive got an automatic ek1 and its 2.6 - 2.7 litres for a drain and fill, when i finish work at 5 am ill post up the drain and fill ammount for manual transmissions, need to double check my workshop manual for an accurate figure.

TbM
30-07-2011, 06:01 AM
As promised im back from work and heres the pic from the civic service manual, ive highlighted the ek1 manual drain and fill ammount in a red box.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/TbMindustrys/ek1oilshiz.jpg

japa_VTEC
30-07-2011, 08:50 AM
had a look this morning and when i was hand tightening the oil filter it got to a point where it was a little resistant to keep going and once I gave it a really hard twist it went smooth and starting going in all the way...turns out i just didn't tighten it fully...HERP DERP

and with the manual transmission fluid, TbM cheers for that, 1.8L sounds about right.

MYSTERY SOLVED AND $65 POORER :)

cheers for the help guys!

aaronng
30-07-2011, 11:15 AM
At least you didn't drive off without realising it.