PDA

View Full Version : blown cat?

dynasty
09-02-2005, 08:04 PM
hi, i was wonder how u can tell whether a cat is blown or not? by the sound of it? because i have extracots and catback attched to an oem cat. was just wonering if thats wnough to blow the cat? this is an urgent problem so anu help would be appriciated :)

DLO01
09-02-2005, 08:10 PM
hi, i was wonder how u can tell whether a cat is blown or not? by the sound of it? because i have extracots and catback attched to an oem cat. was just wonering if thats wnough to blow the cat? this is an urgent problem so anu help would be appriciated :)
Some other guys might be able to help you, but have you got a straight through muffler? I blew my cat when I was having dizzy problems on the dyno (loosing spark) it was dumping air/fuel into my exhaust.... then it ignited.... then boom... bits of Cat core came out the back. Not good.

dynasty
09-02-2005, 08:16 PM
hrm.well nothing has came flying out of my exhaust yet, now i heard a boom sound. it was just when i was reving high today, suddenly this rattling sound came out of no where and suddenly lose of power, i have no idea

ACTI0NMAN-1
09-02-2005, 08:20 PM
a blown cat shouldnt cause any loss of power unless its blocked. just get under there, pull it off and shake it around a bit. you should be able to tell if its blown or blocked. its about 1hr job all up. make sure you have penetrating oil like rp7 or wd40.

DLO01
09-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeh, you should not loose power, if anything it would free it up, unless if it was blocked like Actionman stated.

Check this link dude. :thumbsup:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5427&highlight=catalytic+converter

R96P-EJ8
09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
I had a similar problem a few months ago.

Apparently the filter/mesh broke off the cat due to the exhaust emissions melting/overheating the filter inside the cat. :(

I think it can be caused by your car running too lean which isn't good. My air filter was the problem. It was heapz dirty!!

Limbo
09-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Sounds like the cat may have died and a piece is blocking the pipes. Had this happen to me before in the last car and it cause the joints in the exhaust to crack.

Try taking off your muffler and shaking it out to see if you have bits of cat in it.
If you do you'll have to take it apart to make sure you get all the pieces out and then replace the cat.

dynasty
09-02-2005, 08:57 PM
i dun really noe, because the sound in the cat is relatively loud, how ever, i did just change my leads last night, they came off a SIR vtec engine, so could it be the timing? and i also changed my spark plugs today, and i think i did do them properly. arhh, this is annoying me badly

DLO01
09-02-2005, 09:09 PM
i dun really noe, because the sound in the cat is relatively loud, how ever, i did just change my leads last night, they came off a SIR vtec engine, so could it be the timing? and i also changed my spark plugs today, and i think i did do them properly. arhh, this is annoying me badly
Na, should not have made a difference. Just try what the other guys have said or get a exhaust dude to check it out. :thumbsup:

dynasty
09-02-2005, 09:11 PM
hem...will do, tomorrow, any suggestions? im melbourne based...i need fast service...im kinda worried..

egSi
10-02-2005, 03:53 PM
how much for a nice hi flow cat nowadays???

dynasty
10-02-2005, 04:08 PM
hey, i just got my car fixed today, i paid 240 for a stainless steel hi flow cat which includes welding and installation, personally i cant feel the different compared to the oem one, but yeh, hope that helps :)

Weq
10-02-2005, 05:26 PM
did u gain the power back?

dynasty
10-02-2005, 07:18 PM
um, yep, i believe i have, so everything is all good now :)

DLO01
10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Cool, good stuff me man. :thumbsup: