PDA

View Full Version : Clearing EPA, how do they usually test it?

lemmiwinks
31-07-2011, 11:21 AM
So I got EPA'ed last night and wanted to know how they test the loudness of my car.

How high do they rev the car to obtain the db reading?

Car in question is a DC5R, toda headers with a mugen twin loop. Factory DC5R does not allow you to rev the car past 5k rpm while being stationary. So I was wondering if I would fall under the limit if I took my car to a tester as it is at the moment, without reverting the exhaust system back to the standard one.

According to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6xpwciZEU) youtube video, the mugen twin loop exhaust is pretty much the same volume as the OEM exhaust.

trism
31-07-2011, 11:26 AM
if you did a quick google seearch, im sure youll find the answer. its not like youre the first person to ever ask this question

trism
31-07-2011, 11:27 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=exhaust+noise+test

Lukey
31-07-2011, 11:32 AM
they set up a microphone thing on a stand about 30cm from ur exhaust tip and rev it to a certain rev and and get a noise level on there little computer jigger connected to the microphone.

personally i think ur better to go back to stock as it costs money to get it tested.

you also cant do it on a rainy day either

lemmiwinks
31-07-2011, 11:43 AM
if you did a quick google seearch, im sure youll find the answer. its not like youre the first person to ever ask this question

Already tried googling it and searched on ozhonda. Can't find anything in regards to my stock ecu having a rev limit of 5k rpm while being stationary, So would they just test it at 5k rpm?

they set up a microphone thing on a stand about 30cm from ur exhaust tip and rev it to a certain rev and and get a noise level on there little computer jigger connected to the microphone.

personally i think ur better to go back to stock as it costs money to get it tested.

you also cant do it on a rainy day either

You wouldn't happen to know what revs they conduct the tests at would you? Do they test it at a certain percentage of the redline revs?

dc2r-0636
31-07-2011, 11:49 AM
its tested at 75% of where it makes its peak power

easy example would be a car that makes peak power at 10,000rpm would be tested at 7500rpm,

Lukey
31-07-2011, 11:51 AM
it varies from vehicle to vehicle. mine got tested at 4750rpm

they will also have a look at ur exhaust system and make a small diagram on it aswell

mugen_ctr
31-07-2011, 11:52 AM
they rev to 5000RPM if the vehicle is made from 1989 onwards if i recall.... though since u say dc5r cant rev to that whilst stationary, than im sure they will just rev it to what ever its limited to id assume....

To be safe, get a independent tester, to test the Mugen twinloop to see if it matches with the video, or else ur gonna have to go back to oem exhaust to pass....

Or if u want a easy pass, just go oem all the way, swap the cat back over later on... the headers u can keep, as it doesn't effect noise so much.

Just to give an idea, on my car, reved to 5000rom, i hit 87db! on stock system lol, bit high but i passed :D

trism
31-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Already tried googling it and searched on ozhonda. Can't find anything in regards to my stock ecu having a rev limit of 5k rpm while being stationary, So would they just test it at 5k rpm?

You wouldn't happen to know what revs they conduct the tests at would you? Do they test it at a certain percentage of the redline revs?

are you serious? did you even look at my link? all your answeres are in the first result!!!

lemmiwinks
31-07-2011, 12:33 PM
they rev to 5000RPM if the vehicle is made from 1989 onwards if i recall.... though since u say dc5r cant rev to that whilst stationary, than im sure they will just rev it to what ever its limited to id assume....

To be safe, get a independent tester, to test the Mugen twinloop to see if it matches with the video, or else ur gonna have to go back to oem exhaust to pass....

Or if u want a easy pass, just go oem all the way, swap the cat back over later on... the headers u can keep, as it doesn't effect noise so much.

Just to give an idea, on my car, reved to 5000rom, i hit 87db! on stock system lol, bit high but i passed :D

I'm probably just going to revert everything back to oem just to be safe.

are you serious? did you even look at my link? all your answeres are in the first result!!!

Yes I did read that, but I'm still not certain what rev's they would conduct the tests at. 75% of my ESMP would be 6075 RPM, however the stock DC5R ecu does not allow you to rev past 5k rpm while being stationary. More interested to know if someone has been in a similar position where their car could not rev to 75%.

Where the ESMP for that engine has been determined by the testing
authority the engine shall be brought to and stabilised at a speed as close to
¾ ESMP as the testing officer can achieve;

TheSaint
31-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm probably just going to revert everything back to oem just to be safe.

Yes I did read that, but I'm still not certain what rev's they would conduct the tests at. 75% of my ESMP would be 6075 RPM, however the stock DC5R ecu does not allow you to rev past 5k rpm while being stationary. More interested to know if someone has been in a similar position where their car could not rev to 75%.

Where the ESMP for that engine has been determined by the testing
authority the engine shall be brought to and stabilised at a speed as close to
¾ ESMP as the testing officer can achieve;

you wont have to revert everything over ... its only the muffler that will make the system loud
can you unbolt the axel back and bolt on your OEM muffler?
that would be the easiest solution

from memory a stock Dc2 will only just pass the test lol

lemmiwinks
31-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeh, I've still got the oem muffler which I will bolt back on. Although the mugen twin loop would probably fall under 90db at 4-5k rpm anyway. Always good to be safe :)

WATAJK
31-07-2011, 08:32 PM
put OEM muffler and you'll pass no dramas mate. My Ford Laser SR2 got rev'd up to 4800rpm, i'd say our dc5's would be similar...

dougie_504
31-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Twinloop should be rather quiet so I think you'll pass personally.

Makes me wonder how motorbikes get away with it, don't you think? I know they're difference vehicles, but they're f'ing loud compared to cars, yet apparently legal...

Snoop_gee
31-07-2011, 10:03 PM
WATAJK Your location is in VIC .

The Epa test .
they check it a few different ways - on acceleration, deceleration and on idle. levels depend on the age and type of car.
i have heard of people stuffing steel wool in the muffler for the testing to make it quiet and then removing it later.
Sometimes they even have the stock system at home and the swap it prior to going in for the testing.

friend car had been

My car was waaaay over (std dump, 3" stainless front pipe, 3" Metal Cat and BuddyClub Spec3 cat back, no resonator small can) so I left it from the cat and put the standard cat back on.

I had to replace a rusty resonator before it passed, and it still wasnt that far under (max is 90dB for cars)

The test sheet shows
Max level (including backoff) - 88dB(A)
Noise at test speed - 86 dB(A) @ 4800RP/M

Make you wonder is it ever worth going for name brand headers, mufflers to get dik'd.

Vic: Operation Pipedown Nabs More Than 1300 Noisy Hoons (http://www.themotorreport.com.au/50241/vic-operation-pipedown-nabs-more-than-1000)
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/e/x/exhaust-4bd7cb59ea007-450x240.jpg

lemmiwinks
31-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Twinloop should be rather quiet so I think you'll pass personally.

Makes me wonder how motorbikes get away with it, don't you think? I know they're difference vehicles, but they're f'ing loud compared to cars, yet apparently legal...

Yes that is what I thought. The twinloop is pretty much the same volume as OEM muffler. Although I'm just going to bolt the OEM catback just to be safe.

WATAJK Your location is in VIC .

The Epa test .
they check it a few different ways - on acceleration, deceleration and on idle. levels depend on the age and type of car.
i have heard of people stuffing steel wool in the muffler for the testing to make it quiet and then removing it later.
Sometimes they even have the stock system at home and the swap it prior to going in for the testing.

Thanks mate!

That article is a a crack up.

Operation Pipedown is a traffic operation conducted by Victoria Police in partnership with the Environment Protection Authority, Melbourne City Council, Melbourne University, the Victorian Deaf Society and, interestingly, Harley Davidson.

Maybe that's why they don't target Harley's! Ozhonda should get in on this partnership business so they don't pick on us! :p

TheSaint
31-07-2011, 10:57 PM
how does the deaf society have beef with loud cars? ...

amant02
01-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I got EPA'd in my em1, they rev'd my car to 4k for testing, cleared it even with a canon you should be sweet with a twin loop.

GSi_PSi
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
This is where a aftermarket ECU is best lol. My mate got EPA'd once he set his launch control to 3,200rpm, tester couldnt go any higher lol cleared.
Also got pulled over by Cops in my DC2 and they were testing the loudness of my exhaust and was hitting the launch control at 3,500rpm lol
they went on their merry little way after that.

bungsai
02-08-2011, 04:05 PM
From personal experience

With Toda Headers, High Flow Cat, and a Mugen Twin Loop, you will not pass.

With Toda Headers, High Flow Cat, and a Mugen B pipe with a stock Muffler you will not pass.

With Toda Headers, High Flow Cat, and a stock B pipe and stock Muffler you will not pass.

The Mugen twin loop is not the same in volume as the stock exhaust.

Your headers and HFC will kill you for DB.

They rev you car to the limit, 5500RPM and upon backoff you will spike to 92db.

You need this, then you can bolt it up to a 3" de-cat and you'll pass.

I may have had a tough guy conducting the test but that's my experience...take from it what you wishhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/bungsai/IMG_0266.jpg

Lukey
02-08-2011, 06:42 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/34676_10150207901855696_894625695_13213523_869832_ n.jpg
got off this first one.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167580_10150363956850696_894625695_16664939_312945 4_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/168693_10150369145760696_894625695_16756796_650185 4_n.jpg

lemmiwinks
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm trying to find someone in Melb with stock DC5R headers, but haven't had much luck. :( Anyone know where I can get one / borrow?

Bungsai - Where did you get yours tested?

Lukey - Thanks for that! Now I know what I'll be looking out for in the mail :P. How did you find daalder exhausts? Lenient?

Do you have to take in the Certificate of compliance in person? Or can I just mail it in?

Lukey
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
they were alright, dunno if they are lenient as i swapped back to my stock catback.

and you just mail the white copy off to the epa and keep the yellow copy

baby_phantom
06-06-2012, 10:06 PM
wow now im worried i was planning on getting- well still am Toda headers < comes with no cat , and skunk2 mega power r 70mm cat-back lol for a ep3r, whats the chance of getting epa'd in nsw also is it true will u get a on the spot fine of 5-10k or could i say i didn't know i just bought the exhaust online as a package and wasn't aware that its illegal. Or do they tell u to go get it tested thus having time to put the stock one back on.?

androo
06-06-2012, 11:14 PM
If you get busted for not having a cat converter get ready to bend over... And I would not say 'I didn't know I just bought the exhaust online as a package' as it is 100% your responsibility to make sure items you install on your car are legal. You MAY be able to say you bought it like that, but it is still your responsibility to make sure your car is legal so this just depends on who caught you.

If it's possible, get a cat welded in on your b-pipe (try not to modify the headers). Can't remember the exact fine but it is substantial (around what you've stated).

EJ1
07-06-2012, 08:46 PM
First and only decibel reading was taken from my R33 at 3,300rpm and managed to read not far off 120db.