PDA

View Full Version : DIY: power steering fluid change (EG/EK/DC2)

SiR JDM
10-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Change Power Steering Fluid

Required:
- Pliers
- Funnel
- 1 litre of Honda Power Steering Fluid **IMPORTANT**
- Collection Container (Recommended at least 500ml capacity)

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344equip-med.jpg

Steps:
If any fluid is spilt on parts/panels wipe it immediately and use degreaser to clean shortly after.

1 - It’s a good idea to park your front wheel on a strip of grass if you can to avoid dry steering.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344grass.jpg

2a - Locate the power steering reservoir there should be a hose entering the side of tank. This is called the 'return hose'.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344tank.jpg

2b - Use the pliers to undo the clamp and remove the hose (keep a rag handy to catch/wipe up any spillage), and pull the tank up out of the mount.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344pliers1.jpg

3 - Remove the tank out of the bay and place the catch-container under the return hose. I used an old towel to avoid as much spillage as possible.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344drain.jpg

4 - Start the engine and let it run on idle. This will cause the fluid to run out of the hose into the catch-container.

Download Video (http://tech.ozhonda.com/diy/powersteering/BENQ0013.AVI)

5 – Turn the steering wheel to full lock both sides, several times. Once fluid has stopped running into the container, turn off the engine. NB Turning the wheel will be very hard, as effectively there is no power steering.

6 – Return the tank back to the bay, place it in the mount and re-clamp the return hose.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344undone.jpg

7 – Pop the red lid to the reservoir and insert the funnel. Fill the tank with the OEM Power Steering Fluid to the upper level line (NO FURHTER).
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344funnel.jpg

8 – Start the engine and the fluid should be sucked in, turn the wheel to full lock both sides several times to bleed air from the system and refill the system again until the upper level line. The AUDM model EG civics hold 900ml so most of the 1 litre bottle should be used up.

Other comments
**IMPORTANT** ONLY USE OEM HONDA POWER STEERING FLIUD.
Other brands can and will wreck your steering rack.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344bottle.jpghttp://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344caution.jpg

Differences:
:thumbsup: Honda power steering fluid
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344fluid2.jpg

:thumbdwn: NON-Honda power steering fluid
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/1344fluid1.jpg

bennjamin
10-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Interesting.

i was under the impression , that the power steerign system takes a fair bit mroe than 1litre or so . . . hence hy ive left it for soo long lol.

Might give this ago. . .

EK9
10-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Excellent writeup James! :thumbsup:

SiR JDM
10-02-2005, 05:47 AM
i was under the impression , that the power steerign system takes a fair bit mroe than 1litre or so . . . hence hy ive left it for soo long lol.

Well, I have about 50/100 ml left in my bottle and ive been running the car for a few hours.. still at the upper level

The USDM Cars have a 1 litre tank, the AUDM cars have a 900ml one, aparently.

egSi
10-02-2005, 09:05 AM
excellet write up james, might give this ago :)

bennjamin
10-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Just to add....

i just attempted this jsut then - NOTE -

The container used , shoudl be a failry decent size - say around 500cc ( 500mls worth) . The initial spurt of steering fluid that comes out is quite large and WILL spill all over the AC condensor + other little bits - you HAVE to stop the engine momentarily , to take out the container , empty it - then place back in for the rest of the fluid.

Oh...gloves are a need for sure :)

wynode
10-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Hahah James...........you should have mentioned your little 'incident' to Ben first :p

But ideally, you are meant to connect a small pipe/tubing to the return hose and have a container outside the car to collect the PS fluid.

wynode
10-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Oh and I almost forgot.........nice write up!

SiR JDM
10-02-2005, 01:38 PM
The container used , shoudl be a failry decent size - say around 500cc ( 500mls worth) .
Oh...gloves are a need for sure :)

I mentioned the 500ml container in the "Required:" bit ben :P

Hahah James...........you should have mentioned your little 'incident' to Ben first

Yea my story? hahah well yea similar to ben but his aircon got off easy, my shirt/face wasnt as fortunate hahah

Thanx for the comments guys :thumbsup::)

Sp3rMz
10-02-2005, 04:58 PM
You're my hero James 1st the b16 FAQ now DIY.

toE
10-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Excellent write-up James. :thumbsup:

Chi
10-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Excellent write up..

Gonna try it on friends car this weekend

SiR JDM
11-02-2005, 07:55 AM
But ideally, you are meant to connect a small pipe/tubing to the return hose and have a container outside the car to collect the PS fluid.

:thumbsup: Yup, but I couldn't find any pipe or tubing to use so i made use of what i had.

btw before doin this my p/steering was borderline *lower level* (maybe even a bit lower :confused: ) hence the reason why I decided to change it.
Im not sure if its the fact that I used the OEM Honda Fluid isntead of the red stuff that was in it before, or the fact that fluid level was low and is now high, but after doing this there is definatly a noticeable difference in driving. The steering is much smoother now :thumbsup:

SPEEDCORE
11-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Yea my story? hahah well yea similar to ben but his aircon got off easy, my shirt/face wasnt as fortunate hahah

PMSL!!! Hey.... I told you I would keep my mouth shut about that! I thought no one was to know! ;)

Anyway... guess what I'll be doing in the G/Fs EK4 this weekend? :)

kenshin
11-02-2005, 05:47 PM
whats the benefits of changing it...
and at what intervals

ECU-MAN
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
every 50 000kms

keep the oil clean, increases rack life and pump life.

nice write up

wynode
26-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Got around to doing mine today, and how you guys did it with a little take away container I have no idea!

First sucked out the bit in the resevoir using a syphen (sp?) and then undid the clamp and took the rest of it out the propper way.

Looks like someone died in there..........

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3Picture_22_.jpg

Then plugged the hose into the return pipe and put the clamp over it, and then started the car.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_5655.jpg

Didn't get a drop of PS fluid anywhere on the car........just a bit on the grass after I started the car cause the pressure of the fluid coming out pulled the hose out of my collecting container LOL

MIRZ
18-06-2005, 11:14 PM
done in mine today, few things i noticed:

1 - in Accord there is one INLET pipe as well, other than this RETURN pipe. this INLET pipe is running from pump to power-steering oil reservior. this pipe is almost double in size to return pipe.

2 - lot of oil comes out from RETURN pipe, so be prepared for it.

3 - after pouring new oil (at the end), when i started my car, and turned steering-wheel, it gave very squeeqy sound at first. but later on working great.

4 - but i think, will monitor its level for next few days.

5 - accord 95, took 800 ml total oil.

EG5[KRT]
19-06-2005, 11:43 AM
how did u get the reservoir out of the damn thing.. mine only comes up a little bit .. not enough room to get ur hand to take off the return pipe...

egads
19-06-2005, 12:04 PM
sweet, ive been meaning to change mine, was actually just going to top it up but since it seems so easy i might aswell change it all. will have a go this arvo. nice write up!

Brbi99
18-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Awsome instructions, I need the pictures! I have a 99' Accord LX sedan in the U.S. Anything different about my Honda? (new to car world....)
Will change out my PS fluid this week.
Thanx

egSi
04-08-2005, 02:53 PM
bump for this diy. i used this write up :thumbsup: bad ass! :)

nedgeworth
05-08-2005, 08:24 AM
I shall be using this tmr :)

Looks pretty straight forward, that's for the writeup

civiceg9
18-08-2005, 08:52 PM
I just did my one using a plastic hose.
bloody went everywhere as the hose was too small

ECU-MAN
18-08-2005, 10:42 PM
sorry but

lol hahahahah

makes a mess doesnt it.

SLPJCooL
19-08-2005, 03:29 AM
I did mine today. I used a Shampoo pump to suck out all the Fluid from the tank....
You can feel a HUGE difference when steering.....
Excellent Write Up!!!

turtleEK1
03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
i just did it then, and yeah, a pump of some sort would make it easier! i made a hell mess, but degreaser helped that!! and yeah, when your turning the car on and turning the steering wheel to get it all out, i used a coke bottle with an X cut in it and pushed the hose through the X so it sat and if it splattered, would stay in there!
plus buy the looks of it, hadn't been changed in a while and wasn't OEM fluid too!! :thumbdwn: :confused:

big difference to steering too! cheers SiR JDM!!!

A'PEXi
03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
get a friend to start and stop the car for you depending on container amounts :D

Newcivic
05-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Awesome@!@~!~

newmski
05-09-2005, 08:14 PM
haha i never used a clamp. i had a big ass syringe :)

Sitwy
23-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I did it today! man......Fluid everywhere!!!
I can't think of anybetter way to hold a continer ....
but the result is really good! Never feel my steering wheel that light b4!

wynode
23-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah I don't recommend anyone use those tiny ass take away containers either!

crxzzR
09-10-2005, 01:38 AM
VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO ANYONE ATTEMPTING THIS DIY:
Make sure u ONLY use genuine honda power steering fluid..
using anything else will eat away @ certain seals in the steering system.. if these seals break down... ur steering will CEASE.. e.g driving on the highway only to realise u cannot steer..

anyways i replaced my power steering fluid recently.. didn't have any hoses to attach onto the return hose.. and couldnt get the return hose out that much either.. so i resorted to doing a cheap quick method...Plastic bag..
man it splutters quite a bit..but yeh will find some hose to do this properly..
btw.. in an 88 CRX d16a8 it takes roughly a little over a litre i think

taizon
24-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Got around to doing mine today, and how you guys did it with a little take away container I have no idea!

First sucked out the bit in the resevoir using a syphen (sp?) and then undid the clamp and took the rest of it out the propper way.

Looks like someone died in there..........
../gallery/data/2/3Picture_22_.jpg

Then plugged the hose into the return pipe and put the clamp over it, and then started the car.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/2/3IMG_5655.jpg

Didn't get a drop of PS fluid anywhere on the car........just a bit on the grass after I started the car cause the pressure of the fluid coming out pulled the hose out of my collecting container LOL

Wyn - Looks like u did a pretty good job.
Just wanted to know, what kinda tube did u use for that, and where could i get a one from. it looks like the best way to change the fluid..

and also, how were u able to suck out the fuild from the tank?.. i didnt understand what u were sayin bout the **syphen** thing????

Thanks!

wynode
25-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Wyn - Looks like u did a pretty good job.
Just wanted to know, what kinda tube did u use for that, and where could i get a one from. it looks like the best way to change the fluid..

and also, how were u able to suck out the fuild from the tank?.. i didnt understand what u were sayin bout the **syphen** thing????

Thanks!

Thanks!

I used some tubing I had which is used to clean our fish tank. You can get the same kind of tubing at most hardware stores or aquariums. Just get something about the same size as the little bit the hose clamps onto on the PS resevoire.

As for syphening, I just put the tube into the container made sure the other end was lower than the PS reservoire and sucked abit of fluid (yes with my mouth) about halfway down the tube. Then as long as the fluid has come below the level of the PS resevoire.....gravity will let the fluid keep coming and empty the resevoire.

It's an old fishtank cleaning trick.

shortman_alan
22-04-2007, 03:22 PM
hmm in my prelude there is two lines coming from the reservoir. would any one be able to help me out on which one is the in and out..? one is higher up on the reservoir then the other...
will i need to disconnect both?

wynode
22-04-2007, 07:54 PM
The uppermost one is the return hose if memory serves me correct.

AsH_
22-04-2007, 09:46 PM
how much is a bottle of PS fluid????

wynode
22-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Call up Honda? :)

AsH_
23-04-2007, 12:22 AM
cant now... at work... and its 11.52pm...

just wondering atm...

im going to buy it soon anyways and do this diy...

just gauging my expenditures...

$$$ tight...

nrl_bulldogs
23-04-2007, 12:42 AM
$17.65 is how much is written on my 1L bottle.

AsH_
23-04-2007, 01:04 AM
awesome...

AsH_
30-04-2007, 06:12 PM
i 1/2 way did this diy.. cars sitting in the backyard...

stupid me was doign it in the evening and didnt see that my resevoir was full and wen i turned the car on... OMG fluid was everywhere... !!!

steve88
01-05-2007, 11:40 AM
where abouts can you get this PS fluid from?

AsH_
01-05-2007, 04:04 PM
$17.45 from Honda...

also cause i spilt a lot of fluid in my engine bay.... can it damage the belts...
like the 1 next to my PS tannk, and others ???

thebob
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah you should probably wash it off.

AsH_
02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
i washed it all with water...

used the dogs bowl... had to improvise... and my wifes soup bowl for the fluid...

i dunno wat fluid they put in it but wen i drained it, it looked like blood... so red...

Iwishiwasa Type R
28-07-2007, 01:20 PM
kool DIY!.

question.. any problems, besides more effort, if my car was jacked up (4 jacks to level)...alternative to it being on grass..

muhhan
01-09-2007, 09:46 PM
No problems with the car being jacked up all round. That is how I did mine.

I've heard the opinion that you shouldn't run the fluid out as described in this DIY because the pump is lubricated with the power steering fluid itself and if you run the car with no fluid the power steering pump can get damaged. Is there any truth to this comment?

ECU-MAN
02-09-2007, 12:21 AM
if you dont do it to long you wont hurt anything

have to be quick

muhhan
02-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks! So it's just a matter of turning the car on, turning the steering wheel until no more power steering fluid comes out then turning the car off. No need to sit there continually turning the steering wheel if fluid is no longer coming out. After that, refill and bleed as normal.

ECU-MAN
02-09-2007, 12:56 AM
exacly.

fill the resivour
start car again and then turn off

refill the resivour

then start and turn the wheel from lock to lock
stop engine and recheck fluid level

if the oil gets airated then wait till it settles and then chack the level again.

JasonGilholme
20-09-2007, 08:39 AM
hey guys,

Just thought i'd share some info with everyone. I was removin the PS from my car and i was draining the fluid and i think i found a good way of doing it which won't put your paint in any danger.

You need to drain the fluid from these places:

1) the lowest line that goes to the steering rack. Just jump under the car and undo the hose clamp, pull the line off and let the fluid leak into a bucket/oil tray. (caution: i'm guessing this could be presurise still if you've just driven your car so be careful - maybe someone can confirm?)

This will empty the resevior to about half way.

2) the top line that goes into the powersteering pump. Undo it from the pump and then bend it down beside the exhaust manifold so you can release the rest of the fluid from the resevior into an oil tray.

your resevior is now empty.

3) theres a little plate with 3 10mm bolts on the underside of the PS pump. (could be a little hard to get to if you've got AC) Undo all of these bolts to about half way and all the fluid from the pump should come out. I say half way because the plate is spring loaded and you don't wanna loose anything, just enough to get the fluid out.

Now the entire system is drained apart from the rack.

I haven't done this yet but you should be able to turn the wheel of the car (if the cars on jack stands) and the rest of the fluid in the rack should come out from the line that you disconnected in step one.

This should totally drain the system for a complete change.

If anyone has any comments/ideas let me know cause i just kinda winged it when it came to removing everything. lol The only problem i can see is that there will be heaps of air in the system when you first start the car again but i guess theres no real way to get around this if your doing a complete oil changed.

repeated_love
26-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Where can you buy Honda OEM fluids from only Honda dealerships?

jeffreymui
07-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi guys, im just wondering was it 1L exactly? or is over 1L? or under 1L...because i just opened my power steering fluid a week ago and just topped up a little since its on lower level, and i dun want to stuff it up if its 1L exactly, hence i used a bit already thanks guys.....and yes u can buy it in the dealerships

tiksie
07-03-2009, 05:52 PM
My EG took abit under a litre to give you a indication.

xtc.thai
17-03-2009, 05:08 PM
honda p/s fluid never has to be changed.

quenjose
18-03-2009, 08:43 AM
one thing i'm concerned about...

Does the air in the system eventually bleed back into the reservoir?

How would you ensure that the system is "air-free" after refilling...

Bludger
18-03-2009, 11:40 AM
one thing i'm concerned about...

Does the air in the system eventually bleed back into the reservoir?

How would you ensure that the system is "air-free" after refilling...give it time so the air rises to the top.

turn full lock on each side, then let it rest to let the air rise.

xtc.thai
19-03-2009, 02:55 PM
eventually over the years, it will get dirty.

pretty bold and false statement you said...

when was the last time u went to service ur car at honda and they said
"oh you need to change ur p/s fluid, its dirty"?

dont worry ill wait....

Never have i had to change the p/s fluid. your p/s rack or hoses would leak before something happens to ur p/s fluid.

Ek4Vtir
19-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Believe him his a qualified Honda mechanic :) sup Thai!! Haha

panda[cRx]
20-03-2009, 03:48 PM
xtc.thai > Bludger

thai's right :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mrwillz
20-03-2009, 10:55 PM
frangaz>bau

haha thai got all worked up at gym telln me about this bludger guy who replied to his post

Kiki
20-03-2009, 11:46 PM
frangaz>bau

haha thai got all worked up at gym telln me about this bludger guy who replied to his post

Lol dunno why people get worked up over the interwebs, its like all 4dlulz

I see what Bludger is saying and i myself keep a spare bottle of P/S fluid handy

BUT

yes from my previous work history at honda, they always said it never had to be changed.

mrwillz
21-03-2009, 09:54 AM
i only said it for the lulz

having said that im gona change my ps fluid anyway lol

xtc.thai
22-03-2009, 12:04 PM
lol i dont really care i just love it when someone gets wrecked

bennjamin
23-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Guys -

The PS system is sealed - and should never need TOP UPS or USE fluid. It WILL eventually need replacement if deemed "too dirty"- that is , that it affects steering in some way. OR if you use non oem fluid.

55EXX
23-03-2009, 07:54 PM
i'm with you man. for the little money spent its worth it over 200k old ps fluid. stuff the haters!

xtc.thai
23-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Ok, where to start...........

I was just gonna leave this, but mr thai here got himself too big an ego.
I really don't care about what you're saying in regards to the P/S fluid never needing to be changed. Just basic common sense man. Whats better, old 200k fluid or new fluid.

But hey, who cares anymore, the fact of the matter is that you're the best champ when you go to gym with your mates bragging that you "totally Owned" some guy named Bludger on the forums. Also bragging to your work mates as well.

good on you.

lmao

totally wrecked me??? in which way?

u know which way i dont need to say anymore lol i told u I dont care...its over.

repeated_love
26-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a 94 Accord and went to buy generic power steering fluid. The chart said to get Castrol Fork 15 but this doesn't seem right plus it's green and currently mine is red. Should I just stick with OEM?

As bennjamin stated though my fluid is slightly low and dirty but power steering seems to be working fine without any noise so can I just leave it as is?

If so would I consider a flush if steering gets stiff or it make a noise?

Bludger
26-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I have a 94 Accord and went to buy generic power steering fluid. The chart said to get Castrol Fork 15 but this doesn't seem right plus it's green and currently mine is red. Should I just stick with OEM?

As bennjamin stated though my fluid is slightly low and dirty but power steering seems to be working fine without any noise so can I just leave it as is?

If so would I consider a flush if steering gets stiff or it make a noise?it'll usually make noise when its low from leakage and when you go around a corner.

similar noise to when emptying a bathtub drain.

top up or flush, either will do.

riruiz_88
14-04-2010, 03:55 PM
are you meant to see straight through the fluid, looking from the top? cause when i was filling up the reservoir some brown stuff came up and mixed with the new fluid. now it looks just like before.
should i flush it again?

m3ntAL_l2
16-10-2010, 12:34 PM
zOmg just did this.... now i knw what u guys were talking about.. 'shit going everywhere'

so i started detaching the tube. covered pretty much everything around it as i thought the fluid was going to splash soon as unplugged

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4238/16102010634.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/16102010634.jpg/)

was doing well, nothing came out unexpected, then i connected a vacuum tube, thinking it was going to work, rather than catching it with a cup

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7633/16102010635.jpg (http://img139.imageshack.us/i/16102010635.jpg/)

just when i was about to get the gf to start the car, i saw the belt was very close to the tube and cloth i had prepared. had no choice but to remove all, didnt wanna risk it. late came to think about it i should of left the tube there

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1336/16102010637.jpg (http://img42.imageshack.us/i/16102010637.jpg/)

so got the gf to start the car, with me holding a bottle ready to catch... *FCUK* soon as the engine started, fluids just came out like no tomorrow.. i was surprised my hand didn't get caught by the belt when trying to change to another cup...

after few seconds it became quite constant.... look the shit that came out.. im not sure wdf it is but it does not look pretty

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9352/16102010639.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/16102010639.jpg/)

word of advise... be prepared when the engine starts.. cos thats when shit will hit the fan. fluid went all over my engine bay + paint work.. also make sure u have at least 3 bottles laying around ready to be swapped and a lot of cloth. be very very careful do not get your hand caught in the belt

P.S i filled up my fluid bottle way above the Upper Level mark, will this cause any issue? i have put a sock over it just in case it floods, + my DC2 only took 800ml

yiannixanthos
26-02-2011, 02:14 PM
hey guys,

i have a quick question, i have a cd5 accord and there is one lower pipe running down into the front bumper bar somewhere and the pipe that leads to the pump that is mentioned on this thread, what is that bigger pipe leading to?

cheers

riruiz_88
26-02-2011, 04:22 PM
the small hose from the reservoir goes to the cooler in front of the radiator. the larger hose from the reservoir goes to the pump.
is that what you were after?

yiannixanthos
26-02-2011, 04:44 PM
yeah thanks, but for some reason, i think it's the other way round.

riruiz_88
26-02-2011, 05:17 PM
thats how it is on EG's. could be different for accords?
just try tracing out the hoses

yiannixanthos
27-02-2011, 09:28 AM
thats how it is on EG's. could be different for accords?
just try tracing out the hoses

Anyway, the hose that runs down into the radiator, that wouldn't have much oil come out of it right?

riruiz_88
27-02-2011, 04:33 PM
you mean the power steering cooler, i would imagine it wouldnt but then again take into account that the cooler goes to the rack as well.

felixd
27-02-2011, 07:00 PM
best way is to get those turkey sucker tool to suck all the oil out first and run the car and suck remaining leftover oil and repeat the process

yiannixanthos
27-02-2011, 07:54 PM
best way is to get those turkey sucker tool to suck all the oil out first and run the car and suck remaining leftover oil and repeat the process

yo danny, long time no see!

so suck out everything from th reservoir, run the car, and there will be more oil in the reservoir to suck out?

felixd
27-02-2011, 07:56 PM
yo danny, long time no see!

so suck out everything from th reservoir, run the car, and there will be more oil in the reservoir to suck out?
:D yesss
BTW hows ur car running ??

yiannixanthos
27-02-2011, 08:17 PM
:D yesss
BTW hows ur car running ??

yeah good bro, im gonna try get around to doing the PS fluid because i remember you telling me that the pump was making noise, so yeah gonna get to it most likely this weekend coming.

hiepy
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
LOL luckily i don't have this problem.
You can buy a bottle sucker that connects to your compressor.
Suck the fluid from resvoir then put new fluid in, turn wheel left and right - lock to lock.
Then disconnect your return hose p/steering.
Then you just need to make/find a fitting to connect to your return line P/steering to your sucker.
Then just suck the fluid from the p/steering system as your topping the resvoir not letting air into the system.
Do all this whilst the car is OFF.
If you don't have fluid in the system, you can burn the pump out.

yiannixanthos
05-03-2011, 02:30 PM
steering is smoother now which is great :D
and yes fluid spits out like no tomorrow, so be ready for it :p

mathew[fn2]
10-03-2011, 01:17 AM
nice wite up mate help alot

vs2306
17-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Why are Honda's fussy when it comes to Power Steering Fluid? Even with the old Honda's like my 98 Integra GSi. I can't tell if its all a myth or if its true.

I've heard the same things being said with other major fluids like Gearbox Oil, however my manual gearbox seems to fine with Castrol.

Started a thread on PSF for my car
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?180504-Integra-GSi-Power...

FlavzzTEGRA
17-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Refreshed my power steering fluid today. Thanks for the thread! Old fluid comes out fast but a quick simple job.