PDA

View Full Version : Can i use red grease in steer rack boot and ball joints??

90civicGL
03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
The service manual says just use multi purpose grease, although the red grease tube says for ball joints and cv shafts and so on. As far as i know multigrease is greyish? and red grease is like heavy duty/farming equipment? I think at least. So would i be right using it? i don't think id have a problem but wouldn't mind advice from someone know knows more about this stuff.

Thanks, Nic

90civicGL
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Hopefully its alright, it says balljoints but im about to go out and use it.

bennjamin
04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Remember different greases have different heat ratings - too thin and it may just melt away and split into bases when heated up in the rack. Just refer to the packaging , hi-temp maybe the best in most cases but you have to double check !

I used CV style grease on parts awhile back and it just liquified when heated up and dried out. So be careful !

90civicGL
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Yer on the packaging this grease lists cv joints, ball joints, bearings. Cant remember if it had drivetrain or not but i'm not going to use it for that. Ill just make sure to check it after a few long drives i guess. As far as i can tell on the packet its basically multipurpose grease but more durable and higher pressure ratings, so basically multipurpose for farming and machinery kinda stuff. I was looking at the ball joint in the stering rack and the grease in it looks red, although it might just look that way in the light. But ill give it a shot and monitor it.

bennjamin
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Let us know how it goes ! Are you making a slit, or simply filling it with the grease and reclamping the boot ?!
Multipurpose grease is the way to go , low to high pressure and temperature resistance. Make sure the red stuff u want to use is this , and it should be
Fine

90civicGL
04-08-2011, 01:52 PM
How do i make a slit? I was just going to put some grease in and like move the ball joint around and push it in as best i can with my fingers or a small screw driver and then add more grease, then i think im meant to fill the boot up with grease and then stick that on. Wobble the joint a bit and it should work its way in. I havn't actually got to that yet, trying to figure out how to get the steering rack bushings replaced which is taking a while..