PDA

View Full Version : Replacing strut spring? Is it safe or should i get someone else to do it?

90civicGL
05-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Hey guys, so the time has come to replace my shocks, I went out and got one of these.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Stanley-Coil-Spring-Compressor.aspx?pid=12548#Description

(comes with 2 of the claw things in a pack)

But after watching some videos it looks like honda springs are really bad, and that these things can quite easily fly off and make a pretty nasty projectile. I think ive lost most of my confidence i had haha after watching a few videos.

Is this a safe process or should i take it down to a shop and get them to do the exchange?

hmetro24
05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Its not hard job at all. Take shocks out, put Spring Compressor on each side of the spring and start tightening them equally, than take the nuts from the top of the shocks and do it in reverse steps.

Banana_hammock
05-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Handy tip for using spring compressors: don't tighten them by hand. You should use a socket wrench with the correct size to tighten the bolts. Make sure you tighten it bit by bit side by side. That way you'd be really unlikely to do it wrong and watch the compressor fly off and hit somebody. Also, to save some trouble when you're removing the top hat of the suspension, do it with a rattle/impact gun facing away from you. That way, if the spring wasn't compressed enough and the hat flew off, it'd hit the wall not you

90civicGL
05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
ok ill have to have a think about it, looks like a dangerous job, was watching videos of others taking it careful and compressors where still flying off everywhere. Maybe it was bad watching the videos b4 hand.

Banana_hammock
05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
If you use spring compressors make sure you tighten with socket wrenches as I said before. I did it by hand once and it was horrible because I couldn't do it evenly. Go slowly too so you can realign the clamps if they slip

hmetro24
05-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Take some adventure, you have nothing to worry about, just keep your hands safe.

munkaii
05-08-2011, 03:55 PM
With the strut top bolts, stand the shock up and undo it with a rattle gun. If you didn't compress the springs enough, it will spring back up a little on you but your body will absorb the energy. I've undone struts without spring clamps. Getting them on is another story though.

90civicGL
05-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I always worry to much, but i want to do it because i havnt taken the car to the shop to get anything done yet, but then i worry to much haha.

Banana_hammock
05-08-2011, 05:59 PM
If you're careful and don't rush anything you'll be fine. Getting clamps on and off would probably be the most laboursome task

gumus89
05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
With prelude suspension, the rear springs didnt need compressing but the front ones did for sure. It was very uneventful as long as you do it slowly.