PDA

View Full Version : Advice on decent SQ Head Unit

TbM
06-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Hello all im looking at putting a head unit into the EK1 and i was hoping there were some audiophiles on OzHonda that could give me some advice :)

Ive got an old Eclipse cd 8061 dead head laying around at a mates house and after having a quick look around most of the new head units ive seen dont seem to be that great unless they are very expensive ie the pioneer p99. Ive been into home audio the last couple years so im out of the loop when it comes to the latest head units ect so i was wondering if its worth while using the old Eclipse or have head units gotten alot better Sq-wise over the last few years? I dont need any of that bluetooth or ipod connectivity nonsense i just want clean audio. Id be willing to spend $500 - $1000 but im thinking i would be better off putting that money into the rest of the system and just stick with the eclipse. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Slow.ek1
21-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Jvc anyday of the week

TbM
22-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Jvc anyday of the week

Which model are you refering to? JVC is not as good as pioneer, eclipse, clarion etc in my experience.

Slow.ek1
22-09-2011, 12:31 AM
all the new jvc units are preety good they normally have better wattage then pioneer and clarion and they have the hi rca voltage output

TbM
22-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Better wattage? you mean from the internal amp? I usualy get deadheads as i always have power hungry speakers than need amps so thats no advantage. The current eclipse i have has 8 volts pre outs which can be bumped up to 16 volts with a balanced line adaptor, the highest i see jvc go to is 5 volts.

Only advantage ive found with the new units is that they now have time alignment, eq etc on the deck without the need for an external sound processor.

Slaz
22-09-2011, 06:24 AM
HX-D2 brand new here still.....

trism
22-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Alpines have had time alignment and eq on board for years. I've got a 9835 that's about 6 or 7 years old, still goes hard with 5 channels of t/a and a 5 band graphic eq.

TbM
22-09-2011, 10:29 AM
HX-D2 brand new here still.....
Thanks for the offer mate im still short on cash so im using the eclipse for the moment as i used some of the head unit money on speakers and wiring etc, will pm you to see if you still have it when ive saved up more coin but dont wait on me lol i take a while to save sometimes :)

Alpines have had time alignment and eq on board for years. I've got a 9835 that's about 6 or 7 years old, still goes hard with 5 channels of t/a and a 5 band graphic eq.
Yeh my deck is about 10 years old (2001 model) and i think it was around 03-04 they started putting time alignment and eq on the deck so i think mines a bit out of date and in need of an upgrade but it still sounds great considering ive havent got TA or eq at the moment.