PDA

View Full Version : [CL9]problem with ultra-racing tower strut

DEIFIC
06-08-2011, 06:25 PM
hey guys,
i recently just purchased the 2 point ultra racing tower strut and finally got to installing it today. (keep in mind i have a 2005 preface model)
mind my lack of knowledge: that black thingy that bolts onto the chassis

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb474/DEIFIC/262764_10150370446529377_581584376_10306972_400524 6_n1.jpg

was a bitch to get out of the way as the bar is meant to sit underneath it, now im not sure what my problem is but my friend said the alignment came out when i undid the screws that holds the suspension because now my car vibrates like crazy between 0-2500 revs but if i push it its ok but on braking it begins to vibrate again.
it has to be either the suspension or something to do with the fact that i moved that black bar.
someone please help!! should i take it to a local mechanic or go to a wheel aligning place to get them to check it out?
or is there something i can do?

Fredoops
07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
did you jack the car up when you installed it?

DEIFIC
07-08-2011, 02:06 PM
no, i wasn't aware i needed to. i just got told a flat surface would be fine.

Fredoops
07-08-2011, 04:03 PM
no, i wasn't aware i needed to. i just got told a flat surface would be fine.

I had to jack mine up to install
that black thing is the factory strut bar as far as I know.

DEIFIC
08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
i ended up taking it off today, the problem was that the engine would tilt up when in reverse and would come into contact with the strut. Don't ask me why, ill take it to a performance place when i have the time to get it checked out.

Fredoops
08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
i ended up taking it off today, the problem was that the engine would tilt up when in reverse and would come into contact with the strut. Don't ask me why, ill take it to a performance place when i have the time to get it checked out.

Wha? Just how low is that strut bar of yours? Lol

DEIFIC
08-08-2011, 05:55 PM
well thats just it on the right side its well away from anything but it seems to dip down towards the left side and there is probably a 1-3mm clearance between the strut and the engine. its only a problem on the left side tho

jono_l
08-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Wha? Just how low is that strut bar of yours? Lol

The Ultra Racing strut bars actually sit below the airconditioning pipes. On a CL7 with the K20 engine, there's plenty of clearance, but it appears that the taller deck height of the K24 in the CL9 could be causing the problem here. I was looking into getting one for a while as they're not much that more expensive than the no-brand eBay bars, but neither the eBay seller or his supplier could be sure that the Ultra Racing bar would fit a CL9, as they were designed for the CL7 in mind.

Wound up with the $70 eBay no-brand special instead - just waiting until it gets delivered!

Fredoops
08-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I got the Ebay no brand one as well, it's pretty good, just jackup your car when you install

Oh, one more thing the eBay strut doesn't clear the A/C metal pipe completely, so I wrapped the A/C pipe with pvc tape (flexable) and then put a piece of high density rubber between the strut base and the a/c pipe, it's all good now.

jono_l
08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up mate, will pay Clark Rubber a visit before the bar comes in. Guess the clearance issues were to be expected from a "Cusco style" bar eh!

Fredoops
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up mate, will pay Clark Rubber a visit before the bar comes in. Guess the clearance issues were to be expected from a "Cusco style" bar eh!

Yep, you're welcome.

marquee
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Sweet ground wiring kit fre.

Any benifits you have noticed from it?

Fredoops
08-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Sweet ground wiring kit fre.

Any benifits you have noticed from it?

more like crappy ground kit, still missing ground to the transmission and ground to the alternator. Never finished it cause the alternator bolt is too tight, and i cant reach the transmission bolt....

I also have a voltage stabilizer as well, so far, my radio's louder and clearer, lights slightly brighter and idles smoother (slightly)

marquee
08-08-2011, 11:46 PM
more like crappy ground kit, still missing ground to the transmission and ground to the alternator. Never finished it cause the alternator bolt is too tight, and i cant reach the transmission bolt....

I also have a voltage stabilizer as well, so far, my radio's louder and clearer, lights slightly brighter and idles smoother (slightly)

I'm going to do mine this weekend will post pics

DEIFIC
09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
damn i knew i should have gone with the no brand ebay one!

HuyT
18-02-2012, 06:23 PM
ok so i just got mine installed, and im getting the same vibration problem. Is it possible to mod it somehow to stop the vibrations?

DEIFIC
18-02-2012, 06:29 PM
ok so i just got mine installed, and im getting the same vibration problem. Is it possible to mod it somehow to stop the vibrations?

How close does it sit to the engine?? Get someone to put it in reverse whilst the hood is open ofcourse. It may be because it's touching the engine like it did with mine.

HuyT
18-02-2012, 06:43 PM
its touching the spark plug cover, now it sounds like i got a shitty exhaust installed......................................... .............................

My main concern is, will it have any damage to the car whatsoever? because i dont mind it really, just anything that would harm the engine, or chassis, i will remove it asap

08r3308
19-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Well anything not fitting properly can cause damage if that was my car i would be taking it off and getting a full refound.
Get yourself something that fits propely not a bar that touches engine, wheather its in reverse or drive it should not make contact with engine at any time.

marquee
19-02-2012, 10:55 AM
You do realise that bar is made for the cl7 ie k20 engine

08r3308
19-02-2012, 11:00 AM
http://www.ultraracingaustralia.com.au/images/Honda%20CL7%20font.jpg

Even in picture it shows rubbing marks , only other solution would be to use some rubber like you said but even then i would not use it.

Maybe call ultra racing and ask them for solution

jono_l
19-02-2012, 11:22 AM
In that picture it shows rubbing marks against the HVAC pipe, but I think HuyT's problem is that it's rubbing on the spark plug cover. My cheapy eBay Cusco-style strut brace rubs on the HVAC pipe, but I simply slipped a rubber hose over it and problem solved.

When I looked into the Ultra Racing strut brace, I asked the Malaysian seller if it was suitable for CL9 with K24. The seller asked the distributor, who informed us that the strut bar was designed for CL7, and that they could not confirm if it would fit CL9.

HuyT
19-02-2012, 11:27 AM
well when it says cl7/cl9, one would assume that it could possibly be installed in a cl9. but oh well, im just gonna remove it and move on. only difference i noticed is that the steering wheel is lighter to turn :S

It was very annoying to get on so i might just get a mechanic to remove it.

marquee
19-02-2012, 11:50 AM
It can be installed on the cl9 just not withvthe engine it sits higher

DEIFIC
20-02-2012, 01:42 AM
well when it says cl7/cl9, one would assume that it could possibly be installed in a cl9. but oh well, im just gonna remove it and move on. only difference i noticed is that the steering wheel is lighter to turn :S

It was very annoying to get on so i might just get a mechanic to remove it.

just jack up the car. easiest way to do it..plus save you the cash!