PDA

View Full Version : Engine stalled and wouldn't start

KeyMan
09-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, I was driving into uni today when my car suddenly stalled at the lights and wouldn't start again. The engine light was on and the car wasn't over heating because the temperature gauge looked like it was in the normal position.after checking the fluid levels and everything looked ok, I went back in the car and the engine light was gone. My car was now able to start again so I parked it and left it as it is.

Anyone have any ideas on what happened and if its safe to drive home tonight? Engine is a d16y8

Stanley
09-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Check your spark plugs and oil level

grifty
09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
sounds like a faulty ignition module. with a faulty ignition module it usually only stalls when the car is not moving.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?67113-DIY-PGMFI-Diagnostics-Codes

follow that diy to get the error code.

ECU-MAN
12-08-2011, 09:26 AM
as above

your ICM is faulty, you should find code 15 in the ECU

KeyMan
23-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey guys, so I'm looking at replacing the ICM and the ignition coil and was just wondering if there's anything bad with the $40 aftermarket ones on ebay? I called up a couple of Honda dealerships and they all charge $400 for the OEM ignition control module. If there's nothing wrong with them, I rather pay a tenth of the price for the ebay ones.

grifty
23-08-2011, 11:37 PM
i would get one from your local auto parts store since if it stuffs up you can easily return it.

KeyMan
03-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Ok, I replaced the ignition coil and the ignition control module and it did not fix my problem. Wondering if it's possible my ECU is faulty considering I can not pull any error codes off it even though the check engine light comes on. Using both the shorting technique and plugging in an actual scanner at a mechanics, we could not find any codes.

A bit bummed that I spent $160 on parts and the problem is still there...

grifty
03-09-2011, 11:35 PM
did you put on the thermal paste with the new ignition module?

KeyMan
04-09-2011, 02:24 AM
did you put on the thermal paste with the new ignition module?

Yes I did, also the cap and rotor looked fine, no corrosion from what I can see. There has been a new development tonight where it managed to stall whilst the car was still moving. I was doing around 60km/h, my foot was off the accelerator and the car stalled. I wasn't able to start it up again until a couple minutes later. Seems to be getting worse and worse....

Something I forgot to mention in my original post, every now and then when cruising at speed, the check engine light would come on for half a second and the car will jerk back a bit (is this a misfire?).

Everytime something bad happens, the check engine light comes on but there are no codes when I go to check it. I even took it to the mechanic with a scan tool to diagnose and he said there were no codes. So apart from a bad ignition coil/module, what else do you think it could be? Is this a symptom of a faulty ECU?

KeyMan
04-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Ok, after a suggestion on another forum, I unplugged the IACV to purposely induce a CEL and my car's ECU managed to store the error code for it when I did the shorting trick. So it has relieved some of my fears of having a stuffed ECU. Still doesn't make sense though why I don't get any codes even though the CEL comes on when the car stalls/misfires.

I'm looking at replacing the main relay now in hopes of fixing this problem...

ECU-MAN
05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
have you checked you main PGMFI relay ?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?31796-DIY-Main-PGMFI-Relay-repair

viinnh
05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
does your car still crank or have power ?

KeyMan
08-09-2011, 12:34 AM
have you checked you main PGMFI relay ?
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?31796-DIY-Main-PGMFI-Relay-repair

Thank you for the help ECU-MAN! I think that may have been the problem. Got my dad to help me out on resoldering it and so far these past couple of days, I haven't encountered any problems yet (touch wood). Really hope this was the problem.

does your car still crank or have power ?

Yes, when it stalls it still has power and the car still cranks. The engine just doesn't turn on. After a couple or so minutes of waiting, I'll try starting it up again and it'll come back on as if nothing has happened.

viinnh
08-09-2011, 08:08 AM
im no expert but it might be your fuel lines?? It might be clogged up.

Just saying not sure but