PDA

View Full Version : Spoon carbon wing illegal without brake light?

crobaa
09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi guys, looking to install a spoon carbon wing on my eg, I notice the standard spoiler has a brake light but the spoon doesnt. Am I right in saying, In victoria all cars newer than a certain date must have a 3rd brake light? Worst case scenario I will just install one in the rear wiper motor housing and i've deleted the wiper already

bennjamin
09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
if you are replacing something without a safety feature thats already there - then yes.

Same as replacing your fender/s without a indicator installed etc.

Best to contact vicroads about this !

najdi
09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
as above...if it has a brakelight and you remove it...its illegal but coppers wont really no...question is are you man enough ;)

sxmachine
09-08-2011, 08:00 PM
...question is are you man enough ;)

Lol so true no point modifying a car if your too scared but yes is illegal.. Don't worry about it man there's alot worse out there like superchargers hanging out of bonnets, etc...

Sydsyd
10-08-2011, 12:22 AM
i used the spoon CF spoiler for 2-3 years, what i did was bought a 30cm LED brake light from autobarn (i think $30), spliced the original 3rd brake light wires and connect the LED light wires to the spliced wires...stuck the light housing using double sided tape

pulled over numerous times by police who does inspections around the car, never had any issues regarding the 3rd brake light

crobaa
10-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks guys, I think I might just relocate it to the wiper motor housing

vtecing
10-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Even removing your rear wiper isnt legal. But no one will ever realize

NightKids
10-08-2011, 09:14 AM
I highly recommend removing your rear wiper, looks fully sick uleh

jase89
10-08-2011, 09:24 AM
i also wanted to know about this as i got the cf wing.. Question is how to make the rear wiper to 3rd brake light.. Someone pls make diy about it..

crobaa
10-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Just re route the wire from the top into the glass (following same chanel as the wiper wires, buy a red brake light from autobarn or wherever and make sure it fits into the wiper housing. Then just jigsaw out a slot so the light penetrates though. Then glue/screw or whatever it in. I haven't even attempted it yet but that was my plan. I'm not worried about a defect, more insurance purposes I.e someone goes up my ass and they don't have to pay because I got no brake light

hasto2770
10-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi,

As far as I am
Aware this is illegal and If you are looking into keeping it legal don't hesitate to contact me via inbox as I have a contact whom can supply these wings with the third brake light supplied.

crobaa
10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I would but I already have my wing. Also better to mount the light lower for lower center of gravity :p lol

x3cindymichael
13-09-2011, 01:46 PM
heard this is illegal, but yeah heaps of my mates do it . I'm from brisbane and both my egs have spoon wings with no 3rd brake light.. not really a fan of the 3rd light. Don't see why you'd get done for it because there's cars without 3rd brake lights.. so i don't see a harm. Make the eg look so much better :D

redefine
13-09-2011, 03:09 PM
heard this is illegal, but yeah heaps of my mates do it . I'm from brisbane and both my egs have spoon wings with no 3rd brake light.. not really a fan of the 3rd light. Don't see why you'd get done for it because there's cars without 3rd brake lights.. so i don't see a harm. Make the eg look so much better :D

theres cars without 3rd brakelights cause they were built before it was required by ADR, and its unfair forcing people to modify a stock car to fit in with regulations.

i personally would be getting another breaklight anyway, the more lights on my rear end people can see, the less chance of them rear ending me! but thats just me

JohnO
14-09-2011, 01:30 PM
if spoon made it then its legal ;) . the whole worlds standards > australian standards.