PDA

View Full Version : DC2 VTi-R --- Strange shaking sound

Baal
11-08-2011, 12:57 AM
After I got my clutch replaced from the mechanics, at about 3k-ish rpms on a cold start, there's a noise under my shifting knob. Something like you left a coin/your keys on a vibrating metal table. It disappears after a while though, when the engine is warm. How do I get rid of this? btw I'm assuming that it doesnt affect the car or anything. It's just really annoying T_T:thumbdwn:

THEEYA
11-08-2011, 07:07 AM
What gears does this happen at

Baal
11-08-2011, 08:44 AM
What gears does this happen at

Usually gears 1-3

DC2-PWR
11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Something is loose, must be a loose bolt or something.

Give it back to the mechanics it shouldn't be that much of an issue, or just inspect where the noise is comming from.

Good luck

dougie_504
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Right under the gear knob? Check for heat shields. Might have come loose at some point and could be touching something.

Got a short shifter?

Lukey
11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
why rev so why when cold?

Baal
11-08-2011, 06:09 PM
why rev so why when cold?

Because my house is at the bottom of a hill >.<

dougie_504
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Because my house is at the bottom of a hill >.<

Why do you answer his BS/irrelevant question but not mine, when I'm actually trying to help?

Baal
12-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Why do you answer his BS/irrelevant question but not mine, when I'm actually trying to help?

Because I'm a n00b and idk what a heat shield/short shifter is

dougie_504
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
FML. Why don't you just say so? You make it pretty hard to help you (like you asked us to!).

Okay, jack your car up and get underneath it. Above your exhaust pipe (between the exhaust pipe and the floor of your car) there will be a heat shield, which is like a flat piece of metal to deflect heat from your exhaust away from the floor of your car.

Sometimes they come loose and rattle/shake. They can be removed entirely, generally not a problem at all.

If you have a short-shifter (so that your gear knob travels less distance when you shift gears so you can change a bit faster/firmer) it can sometimes hang too low underneath the car and keep touching the heat shield. To check if this is the issue just give your gear knob a whack with your open palm in neutral, and you might hear the shifter touching the heat shield beneath.

Baal
12-08-2011, 07:18 PM
FML. Why don't you just say so? You make it pretty hard to help you (like you asked us to!).

Okay, jack your car up and get underneath it. Above your exhaust pipe (between the exhaust pipe and the floor of your car) there will be a heat shield, which is like a flat piece of metal to deflect heat from your exhaust away from the floor of your car.

Sometimes they come loose and rattle/shake. They can be removed entirely, generally not a problem at all.

If you have a short-shifter (so that your gear knob travels less distance when you shift gears so you can change a bit faster/firmer) it can sometimes hang too low underneath the car and keep touching the heat shield. To check if this is the issue just give your gear knob a whack with your open palm in neutral, and you might hear the shifter touching the heat shield beneath.

Sweet! will give it a try tomorrow!! Thank you ^_^

act_gooner
13-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I'd take it back to the mechanic. Its their stuff up so they won't charge you. Where did you take it if you don't mind me asking?

Baal
13-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I'd take it back to the mechanic. Its their stuff up so they won't charge you. Where did you take it if you don't mind me asking?

I was going to earn for my own clutch but my dad decided to be a goodguy and surprised me with a one idk :D he said he got it done at phillip. Not sure which shop though.