PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying used car

czzz
11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey guys,
I'm going to look at an auto civic eg si 1992 very soon. What should I look out for?

Thanks

Indie
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM
RWC, if in VIC. Full service history.

Why an auto, may I ask? Is this a first car? If so, I'd just add that I regret not getting a manual for my first car.

Good luck with the purchase.

duzy
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
ENGINE: Log books, ask about service history is timing belt/major service done (usually at 100k kms and 200k kms) check engine oil, gearbox fluid, brake and powersteering fluids/levels if topped up correctly, check a/c belt p/s belt and alt belt. make sure to start up the motor cold to check for any weird startup sound/lag or stutter etc. test drive, test gearbox gears L 2 3 D etc gears smoothly changing, do full lock turns to check cv/driveshafts for any clanking or sounds or play, when car warms up give it some throttle and see if its smooth/ blowing any smoke etc. after test driving look for any signs of oil leaks etc

BODY: accident history, check on revs, check body work inside and out, check for chassis repairs or damages, panel damage or replaced panels means crash history,
INTERIOR: check all electrics a/c and if all the instruments are working properly.

Thats pretty much what i can think of atm.

OR you could pay for one of those qualified persons where they look over the car and give you a report stating its problems. NRMA and those insurance companies should do it.

outatime
11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
1. don't buy from a P plater because they probably thrashed/molested it and most of them dont have money to maintain their car. mature owners on the other hand know their responsibilities and they don't do shortcuts with their cars.
2. make sure the car has full complete service history from Honda preferrably
3. if it's a modified car, make sure it's got a full service history from a performance workshop and from honda when it was still stock.
4. check if the panels are straight, paint is even, and no dents. or you can do a revs check if car has been in an accident or something.

the key things here are the log book and a mature owner. that would guarantee the car has been taken care of. you will also know its history of what were fixed, replaced, and serviced. don't be tempted to buy a car just because it looks good. what matters is the mechanical health and its service history. you dont want to buy a car and the next thing you know problems suddenly appear and you got no clue.

I also highly recommend you take the car to a reliable mechanic and have it thoroughly inspected for potential problems.

good luck!

czzz
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys for the tips :)

czzz
11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
During inspection of the car, I might try to bring it to the mechanics, do mechanics charge money for looking at the car?

czzz
11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
How do I know if the Logbook is not fake?

williamwong
11-08-2011, 07:27 PM
1. Check history on vicroads. encumbrance, written off, and stolen status.
2. Is RWC provided?
3. Ask owner if log book is there and stamped. iirc repairable write off cars bought from auctions doesnt come with logbooks.
4. have at least 2 sets of keys. replacing keys might cost a fair bit.
5. Have a mechanic check it over mechanically. should cost ~$50.
6. Dont be too anal about cosmetics, its a 20yr old car after all.

itsdenny
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
check for leaks ! pop the hood look around the engine block see if there is any oil leaks.

check if you can notice any obvious missing bolts (maybe on the rocket cover, filter box ect)

check the rubber hoses if you can for cracks or leaks.

look at the frames for welding marks - look under the spare tyre for signs of damage/crash

inspect for rust ! try to notice any strange lumps and bumps under the paint work

also check for water leaks coming from roof or door seals if damaged

czzz
11-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I tested the car earlier this evening, paint is good, the oil was good, no black smoke, but when driving the car at low speed 10-20km the car was very loud towards the front passenger side as if there was a big exhaust but it was a stock, owner said it was door rattling, comparing the sound with my current car I drive - camry 92, its a big different. Also service book had last service at 2008 -.-;; .. But said there was a major service recently. I think I'll keep looking and pass on this one.

Bulbasaur
12-08-2011, 12:05 AM
I tested the car earlier this evening, paint is good, the oil was good, no black smoke, but when driving the car at low speed 10-20km the car was very loud towards the front passenger side as if there was a big exhaust but it was a stock, owner said it was door rattling, comparing the sound with my current car I drive - camry 92, its a big different. Also service book had last service at 2008 -.-;; .. But said there was a major service recently. I think I'll keep looking and pass on this one.

the service at honda was probably worth more than the car.

Lazarus
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
During inspection of the car, I might try to bring it to the mechanics, do mechanics charge money for looking at the car?

mechanics do charge to look at the car.
Look into NRMA or Stateroads. From what i hear they're decent.
Can't give personal opinion though, sorry

Dubstein
15-08-2011, 09:25 AM
1. don't buy from a P plater because they probably thrashed/molested it and most of them dont have money to maintain their car. mature owners on the other hand know their responsibilities and they don't do shortcuts with their cars.

Very, Very true. Had problems with my car that i bought off a P-Plater.. Have a look at my thread in my signature if you wana have a quick look :)

x3cindymichael
13-09-2011, 01:32 PM
i'm a plater and i've gone through 3 civics in one and a half years , not because they are unreliable or have broken down , just because i want to upgrade/change.

my first eg si i brought of a 25 year old bloke , car was stock as a rock , engine was fine had 260 xxx km , just needed a wash picked it up for $2400
never broke down on me, was a top car. loved it .. crashed it

second eg was a 1.3 L breeze. car had exterior looks done, coiloves , wheels. engine was 230 xxxkm picked it up for $2600 , fixed it up a bit did some mods , sold it off

third eg was eg4 with jdm b16a conversion , and exterior looks , put coilovers in , 110 xxxkm picked it up for $5000 , my current car.

All 3 of these civics before buying i inspected at least 3 times (going back and forth), the way i thought of it if the seller was getting annoyed then he didn't have to sell to me. but i was a genuine buyer just wanted to make sure everything was legit and in working order. I know some of my basic car knowledge (how to spot a oil leak, listening out for weird noises etc) but took 2 of my friends with me which are mechanics to make sure the car was well. They spotted out close to nothing, the breeze did have a minor oil leak which i got money off from, which was good.

Pretty much just check for major issues first , bring it up to seller and ask them if they knew etc. if you really want the car , work out a deal with the seller. A good thing to do is take the VIN and rev/v check it to see the vehicles history . Also good to go with the seller to get the rwc together, both agree on a mechanic to take it too, this way you can see if the vehicle passes first time. When buying the vehicle and handing the money over , check the vehicle one last time.

Happy driving .

Goodluck