PDA

View Full Version : Drum to disc swap ED civic questions, page 2.

90civicGL
11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
So im trying to remove my rear trailing arm but having trouble getting the hand brake cable off from the drum brakes, so that i can remove the RTA.

Is there any easy way of taking these off?

Thanks, nic

markismaximus
11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Don't bother trying to remove the handbrake cable from the drum. Just remove the handbrake cable from the rear of the handbrake (inside the car) and unbolt the cable running along the bottom of the car.

mugen_ctr
11-08-2011, 06:05 PM
If ur doing a disc conversion, u cant use the drum e brakes anyways,so better off taking off the whole lines an than using the disc lines

But as far as RTA, yes as above, jus remove it from the inside of the car, an the brackets, an slide it all out

90civicGL
11-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I am tempted on the rear disc conversiion, about to go on a hunt through the trade section of these forums, and if no luck price it up at the wreckers. But still havnt 100% decided, for the moment its just replacing bushings unless pricing isnt too bad.

mugen_ctr
11-08-2011, 07:37 PM
hmmm if ur thinking of going disc, hold onto the bushes, an put them into the disc RTA, makes sense doesnt it lol

Id say wait it out abit till u can or cant find any, than proceed from there

90civicGL
11-08-2011, 08:02 PM
waiting it out is so hard to do. But yer if im going disc ill save the bushings. Had no luck finding a set up in the sale section. might try wreckers tomorrow or next day.

90civicGL
11-08-2011, 08:20 PM
So kust to clear this up i can just take the rear trailing arm/hub assembly, hand brake cable (this will be the right length and everything?) and rear soft lines for the brakes from an EG? And use the stock brake master cylinder/booster and front brakes?

But

It is recomended to take the whole setup from the EG so its all tested to work correctly so that the wrong brakes dont lock up b4 and so on. Cause i have a feeling it would be a lot cheaper to do option 1. Is it not safe to do option 1 or just not recomended?

Thanks

hmetro24
11-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Taking the handbrake is very easy to take it out. get 12mm spanner, slide the cable inside the spanner all the way in, so the spring will close, so you can pull the brake out side the drums.http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7800/dsasdar.jpg

mocchi
12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
^ after you've done it once its easy.
before that it was total mindfcuk. couldn't understand what manual was saying lol.

90civicGL
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I went with the approach of removing the hand brake cable from the hand brake itself, although ive encountered a problem.

I cant get the cable through the rubber.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j470/Nicholas_Semple/Civic/4ae0bf28-45b4-46b7-9596-ba8b19a10966.jpg

There looks to be 3 little screws do i have to undo them and take the whole rubber section with me? If so that will be a fun job haha, means ill have to undo the exhaust heat shield.

Arnt cars just a blast haha.

mocchi
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
removing the cable on drum brake itself is easier than removing whole cable assembly from handbrake. seriously.
all bolts that secure the cable is hard to reach in exhaust tunnel.

90civicGL
12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
removing the cable on drum brake itself is easier than removing whole cable assembly from handbrake. seriously.
all bolts that secure the cable is hard to reach in exhaust tunnel.

Any chance you know if i have to remove the 3 bolts there or do i just wiggle and try work the cable through. Bit late now to start the other end. But im pretty keen on doing the disk conversion if i can find the right parts and id have to remove the cable anyway so im not 2 worried. Plus half the reason for this whole car rebuild kinda thing is for the learning process :).

mocchi
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Any chance you know if i have to remove the 3 bolts there or do i just wiggle and try work the cable through. Bit late now to start the other end. But im pretty keen on doing the disk conversion if i can find the right parts and id have to remove the cable anyway so im not 2 worried. Plus half the reason for this whole car rebuild kinda thing is for the learning process :).

no need.

hmetro24
12-08-2011, 02:29 PM
You did the hard way, it more than easy to take the cable from drum. You should give it a try

90civicGL
12-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Yer it is the hard way but i think i might do the disk conversion since ive already almost done half the work.

Im determined to get it the rest of the way out now. but encounted a new problem

Ok so it is out from the thing but i still need to remove the cable from this thing so i can feed it through, i cant feed the whole unit through as they route oposite sides of the car.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j470/Nicholas_Semple/Civic/6397b5a0-10ef-463c-8eac-1599e65de5de.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j470/Nicholas_Semple/Civic/ae223d80-d6eb-4640-b353-374ce5be894a.jpg

One side.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j470/Nicholas_Semple/Civic/99135d8e-9d51-4760-9a80-336a2c046e47.jpg

Other side
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j470/Nicholas_Semple/Civic/55599b60-7e8c-424f-86d7-737dfa93f2d0.jpg

Sooo what now?? Does the cable just wiggle through the rubber seal things cause if it does i havnt managed to do that yet.

Nic

xclusive_eg8
12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
yea, just put some grease so its lubed up and pull man pull........or if your never going to use again, feel free to cut but last option

90civicGL
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Ok, yer gonna try not cut it incase i need to install it all again.

Ok so just standard all purpose grease from a grease gun or should i stick some dish wash detergent down there?

90civicGL
12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
So just to clear this up b4 i ring the wreckers and get a price quote,

I can use just the handbrake cable, rear trailing arm assembly and soft brake lines from an EG 92-95 model civic and keep all my other ED stuff (front brakes, master cyl, booster), but it is recomended to take everything from the EG to keep it balanced?

But if i wanted to do a big brake upgrade at the front in a year or two would i be better of just going with option A and getting just the rear stuff since im on a student budget as they call it. Or could this potentially be very dangerous? Cause as far as i can tell the front rotors are actually a tiny bit smaller but they are a little thicker. And the master cylinder is the same i think.

So techniqually it wouldnt be any different to say if someone went and put a new/reco master cyl in there EG would it (cause then theres wouldnt be matched from factory)

Hopefully all that made some sense.

Least i can say ive learnt a lot from this experiance. I might even have enough pictures to make a DIY thread and make it easyer for others.

EDIT: BTW thanks xclusive_eg8, put some dish wash on the rubber seal thing and they slide right out. :)

mocchi
12-08-2011, 05:28 PM
So just to clear this up b4 i ring the wreckers and get a price quote,

I can use just the handbrake cable, rear trailing arm assembly and soft brake lines from an EG 92-95 model civic and keep all my other ED stuff (front brakes, master cyl, booster), but it is recomended to take everything from the EG to keep it balanced?

But if i wanted to do a big brake upgrade at the front in a year or two would i be better of just going with option A and getting just the rear stuff since im on a student budget as they call it. Or could this potentially be very dangerous? Cause as far as i can tell the front rotors are actually a tiny bit smaller but they are a little thicker. And the master cylinder is the same i think.

So techniqually it wouldnt be any different to say if someone went and put a new/reco master cyl in there EG would it (cause then theres wouldnt be matched from factory)

Hopefully all that made some sense.

Least i can say ive learnt a lot from this experiance. I might even have enough pictures to make a DIY thread and make it easyer for others.

EDIT: BTW thanks xclusive_eg8, put some dish wash on the rubber seal thing and they slide right out. :)

without proper proportioning valve, you actually have less braking power going from drum to disc.
true story.

90civicGL
12-08-2011, 06:12 PM
without proper proportioning valve, you actually have less braking power going from drum to disc.
true story.

So is the proportioning valve part of the master cylinder or booster (if it isnt can i keep my master/booster and just take the proportioning valve)? And then i assume the EG's one is different then the ED? Cause i notice on ebay they sell the same brake master cylinders for ED and EG's.

90civicGL
12-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Did some more research online and i know understand why i need the new master/booster. Although i think i can get away with my front rotors and calipers by the looks of it. If i cant and i need to match them is it only the calipers and caliper bracket and disc that i need to grab?

So i can grab all the parts i Need including rear trailing arm of any 92-95 EG GLi and any da integra so all models 1990-1993 and then also the del sol 92-96 model (but with the delsol i can only grab rear trailing arms and need to get proportioning valve, booster and MC from the civic or teg)??

Please let me know if this is correct.

Many thanks nic.