PDA

View Full Version : Which tyres on front or back new or old?

Chapman2233
13-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Buying two new tyres as the old ones have extensive camber wear and like no tread.
So would I put these new tyres as the front ones or as the rear ones?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but im car illiterate.

slingsy
13-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Buying two new tyres as the old ones have extensive camber wear and like no tread.
So would I put these new tyres as the front ones or as the rear ones?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but im car illiterate.

Pretty vague, what do you use the car for?

assuming its a car with some fitment, just rotate your tyres from left to right if they are directional you probably shouldn't but it they are bald from camber it couldn't be much worse.. Correct me if im wrong. Then just buy 4 new tyres.

Chapman2233
14-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Two tyres are fine with 70% tread other two with camber I'm replacing.
Do I put the 70% tyres at the front or back ?

safetycar
14-08-2011, 10:22 AM
FWD, so I'd put the new tyres on the front.

slingsy
14-08-2011, 10:36 AM
FWD, so I'd put the new tyres on the front.

+1 I strayed from the answer, I agree

Nismo3oi
14-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Should be new tyres at the front regardless of drive type because of braking and steering.

gumus89
14-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Some people say new at back to stop hydroplaning around a corner but what the ****, if you are flogging it in the rain then oversteer is the least of your worries.

So yeah, new at front. And just by the way, what degree of negative camber do you have? Because its probably not camber wear that is your problem, its most likely toe out.
Camber wear isnt significant at anything less than spastic camber.

NSPYRE
15-08-2011, 01:13 AM
i've thought about this question heaps of times.

obviously, our front tyres get chewed through much quicker being FWD and all, with our rears wearing down at a much, much slower rate.

so sure, changing the tyres on the front seems to be logical at first, however, I dont know about you guys, but I can easily go through 4 sets of new tyres up front before I even notice my rears wearing at all.

now, as the rubber deteriorates over time, despite having plenty of tread, its composition/integrity does not remain, especially going through so many cycles of hot and cold.

anyway, its just food for thought. I still put the new tyres on the front like most :p

gumus89
15-08-2011, 08:16 AM
You have stumbled over the thing called rotation!
That is why every 5000kms or so you put the rear tyres at the front. So over time, the tyres with the most tread are always at the front and you dont have to replace fronts 3 times.
Also, that will stop the rears from lasting too long and deteriorating.

furorsekka
18-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Definitely new tyres to the front, but as gumus has mention rotation of tyres should be done to even out the wear and get the most out of your tyres.