PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Rattle and smell

MyNameIsSkip
13-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Hello,
Recently my car has started to create a fumey sort of smell and the exhaust now starts to rattle a bit intermitently. The exhaust tip is also black not the powdering grey it should be. Is my catalytic converter dead?

I have uploaded a link to show you the sound im getting (the start of the video starts with the rattle straight away).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9eoQhoKJjE

Thanks,
Shaun

trism
13-08-2011, 07:48 PM
you are a fool, dnt post duplicate threads. one is enough.

MyNameIsSkip
13-08-2011, 07:52 PM
you just posted that twice, 1 post was enough haha. But seriously any ideas?

ep3rsteve
13-08-2011, 08:11 PM
what do you expect a combustion engine to smell like, flowers?

an exhaust hook might be loose

MyNameIsSkip
13-08-2011, 10:50 PM
It has a really strong smell though, I have owned other cars and i know when a car smells to much. I've been told it smells from behind when being followed by people... And ty for the exhaust hook suggestion

THE 2BSEEN
14-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey man smell alone wont really mean much. could be running rich or any thing like that. bad fuel?
I would say its the cat or the muffler or resonator. Try getting under the car and have a tap about on the cat, resonator or muffler hear the rattle you no whats wrong. Could also try getting under the car and get someone to rev it also help to find it.

MyNameIsSkip
14-08-2011, 05:45 PM
It shouldn't be fuel at least haha, run it on 98 for 10 years or so :) Yeah I'm guessing a bad mixture probs which might have blocked some stuff up maybe. Could explain why I get alot of exhaust pressure at idle.

ep3rsteve
14-08-2011, 06:05 PM
A mouse may have crawled in there and died lol, it happens.

Could be a blocked or dead cat, meaning the nitrogen and carbon monoxide etc are coming out toxic. (which i would assume smells bad)

You can get a test done at your local auto garage, they will test the back pressure before the cat and after it - the normal reading should be less than 9 kPa at idle and less than 20 kPa at ~2500 RPM.

If its way over those readings, your cat is dead, meow.

MyNameIsSkip
25-08-2011, 09:57 PM
haha thanks for the reply. When i get the change ill get it looked at. :)

Rolla_Kid
26-08-2011, 01:41 AM

Could be a blocked or dead cat

WTF, what size muffler do you have? fair enough a mouse.... but a cat? :p

I had a similar sound in my corolla (yeah i know) and i found out that it was the guards between the exhaust and the bottom of the body of the car, its designed to stop the heat going into the cabin, have a look at that and tighten up all those bolts under there :)

HTH

EDIT: just re-read this thread, defs have a look at the cat for the smell, may be causing the rattle too.

Foxx
26-08-2011, 12:13 PM

Could be a blocked or dead cat, meaning the nitrogen and carbon monoxide etc are coming out toxic. (which i would assume smells bad)

You can get a test done at your local auto garage, they will test the back pressure before the cat and after it - the normal reading should be less than 9 kPa at idle and less than 20 kPa at ~2500 RPM.

If its way over those readings, your cat is dead, meow.

FPMLSH - too funneeeeee

MyNameIsSkip
28-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Haha righto, well when it gets serviced next ill get them to have a look at it. And you'd be lucky to fit a mouse in the stock civic exhaust tip haha :)

dougie_504
29-08-2011, 01:24 AM
Just jack up the car, crawl underneath and look at the cat converter. Get a grease rag folded over a few times, and give it a decent tap with a hammer through the rag so you don't damage it. If the rattling is coming from the cat then it probably needs to be replaced because it's rooted on the inside.

MyNameIsSkip
01-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I like your thinking dougie, ill try it when i get a chance :)