PDA

View Full Version : when to launch in a drag race

h22a accord
11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
i have heard that you step off the clutch when the last amber light illuminates, this way by the time you react to the last amber light the green light is illuminated and it makes for a very fast reaction time.

What do other people think or have heard?

incoming
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
the best way i found lauching is to have the hand brake up... and have the revs up around 3000-4000 rpm with the clutch slightly out so the car wants to move (sorta pop the clutch in and out so u dont ride it) and drop the hand brake and clutch and accelerate ...
with enough practise by the time u put ur foot to the floor, 1st gear should be in vtec with no wheel spin.. though i only accomplished this once =)

completely killed this SSS ahhahhahaa

joyride
11-02-2005, 01:19 PM
on a strip, you can take as long as you want when launching. you dont have to launch immediately when the light is green. you might look like an a** to the crowd though.

EG5
11-02-2005, 01:28 PM
reaction time got nothing to do with your ET !!
to get the best reaction time : start to dump your clutch on the late 3rd yellow light.
its 0.5 sec difference on each yellow lights.

spetz
12-02-2005, 11:15 AM
the best way i found lauching is to have the hand brake up... and have the revs up around 3000-4000 rpm with the clutch slightly out so the car wants to move (sorta pop the clutch in and out so u dont ride it) and drop the hand brake and clutch and accelerate ...
with enough practise by the time u put ur foot to the floor, 1st gear should be in vtec with no wheel spin.. though i only accomplished this once =)

completely killed this SSS ahhahhahaa

I managed to do that about 5 times in total... but never against anyone :(
That was with my old setup though, now I have a heavy duty daiken exedy clutch which makes it a lot harder :(

JR Performance
14-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Like people have said, you ET does not begin counting until you actually move off the line. You can sit there for 30 seconds, get a great launch and still run your best time.

Find a method that gives you the best 60ft time and the only way to get this is to practise, on the strip of course because you obviously need to a way of timing this. T

If you are going to then compete at the strip you need to once again practise when is the best time for you to drop the clutch and hammer away in order to get as close to the .400 reaction time as possible.

Catcha
14-02-2005, 10:47 PM
i have heard that you step off the clutch when the last amber light illuminates, this way by the time you react to the last amber light the green light is illuminated and it makes for a very fast reaction time.

What do other people think or have heard?

That is pretty spot on whoever told you that, go on last amber not on green :D

joyride
17-02-2005, 01:45 PM
reaction time got nothing to do with your ET !!
haha dude you saved me. i couldnt remember for the life of me the word 'reaction time' :o

JDM.Power
08-04-2005, 10:23 PM
yeah i reckon 2nd or 3rd amber light is a good timin 2 launch off..if u want a good reaction!..by the time u put your handbrake down its probly 3rd or mayb green light
an il say around 4000-6000 rpm between their for a good launch

Integra
13-04-2005, 12:35 AM
how to prevent wheelspining on launches? ive tried lauching few times and i got shit loads of wheel spin through 1st,2nd gear! i launched @ 3500rpm bty!

Chi
13-04-2005, 12:39 AM
yeah i reckon 2nd or 3rd amber light is a good timin 2 launch off..if u want a good reaction!..by the time u put your handbrake down its probly 3rd or mayb green light

Fantastic, we got internet mechanics advising how to fix cars.

And now Kids that dont even have a drivers license or a car telling us how to launch? :rolleyes:

Wheel spin not only has to do with your launch techniques.

Tyres and suspension come into play as well.

Sp3rMz
13-04-2005, 12:56 AM
With my majority of my wheel spin comes from my realllllllllly shit tires. Falken Ziex. SHittest thing thats ever been made -_-. And the other half of the problem is droppin the clutch too fast. You should feather the clutch and the accelerator. I always do it by accident at a traffic light and launce perfectly but when im acutali dragging i get nervous and rev to 3rpm and just drop the clutch from all the way down.

So it comes down to driver, equipment and also environment.

wynode
13-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Dood serious. How do you know? Have you even been to a drag strip and driven a car down it?

I went on the first amber light and still got a pretty slow reaction time.

Integra
13-04-2005, 01:01 AM
maybe im just not used to my new clutch yet haha i stall it heaps at the lights, blardy embrassing holding up the people behind me LOL!

Sp3rMz
13-04-2005, 01:06 AM
You install heavy duty clutch? If so it wil take awhile before you get use to it. Took me ages specially on a hill. You're going to have a hell of a time trying to launch ur car to. So practise makes perfect. Get use to you're clutch first then pracitse you're launch. Its a general rule. Know you're car before you move onto anything more advance.

Integra
13-04-2005, 01:26 AM
yeah got the h/d clutch! its very stiff when it flicks back!
and yes i agree with you there practise makes perfect

bennjamin
13-04-2005, 01:42 AM

how do you know any of this - without even having a car or license ? :confused:

Sp3rMz
13-04-2005, 02:18 AM
A friend of a friend of a friend of his best friends sisters bfs dads brother inlaws son told him :p

EG5
13-04-2005, 09:00 AM

if you do that you will get a red light straight away.

people incl my self normally launch it on the 3rd yellow lights.
the distance between each yellow lights are 0.5 sec.
but normally if im chasing my Personal best i dont really care about my reaction time at all.

* remember guys , reaction time got nothing to do with your ET , your ET will start once your car is moving off the staging lines , so doesnt matter if you wanna stay on the green light for 20 sec , the ET wont start untill your car is moving*

I normally launch at 8k rpm

EG5
13-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Dood serious. How do you know? Have you even been to a drag strip and driven a car down it?

I went on the first amber light and still got a pretty slow reaction time.

if you go on the 1st amber light you will get a redlight straight away , unless its DYO class.
on wsid street meet there is 3 yellow lights before it turn into green.

bennjamin
13-04-2005, 09:25 AM
* remember guys , reaction time got nothing to do with your ET , your ET will start once your car is moving off the staging lines , so doesnt matter if you wanna stay on the green light for 20 sec , the ET wont start untill your car is moving*

Yup - really , anytime after the green light is a good time to launch eheh.
Perhaps to ease off the mental pressure of a timed drag race - its best to concentrate on all aspects of the drive ( launch , revs , shifting etc) RATHER than all to do with the reaction time. At the end of the 1/4 mile , your ET will be the same if not better if you relax and concentrate on the driving rather than a simple neurogical test.

Chi
13-04-2005, 09:34 AM

How many gearboxes have you gone through again? ;)

JDM.Power
13-04-2005, 09:47 AM
how do you know any of this - without even having a car or license ? :confused:

my hole family is a car maniac! my oldest bro got a wrx on his red Pz and i learnt of him ! just watching! an my other bro with the project corolla! an other mates with cars! i just watch an learn! :p
an when my time comes! il tell you how/when/an whats happens when i run down the strip! sorry for going of topic!

Sp3rMz
13-04-2005, 04:49 PM
WTF? Launching at 8rpms. You got full slicks on or something?

EG5
13-04-2005, 04:54 PM
WTF? Launching at 8rpms. You got full slicks on or something?

Dot street legal tyres and full slicks. i launch them both at 8k rpm .

EG5
13-04-2005, 04:55 PM
How many gearboxes have you gone through again? ;)

not that many yet LOL

egSi
13-04-2005, 05:25 PM
opinions on drag racing:

eg5 > JDM.Power

Non Vtec
13-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Not as many as me. I launch at 8000-9000rpm sometimes even in 2nd.
For the lights watch the last orange don't worry about any of the others, when it changes go, by the time you move the green will have changed.
As for EG5 and the way he launchs, we have had many a talk about it, the trick is not to worry about the wheelspin in 1st but to worry about wheelspin in 2nd.
You might find that launching at 6000rpm on road tyres you'll spin heaps in 1st, most people try to get traction in 1st before shifting, maybe you would be better to shift into 2nd as soon as the needle hit the redline in 1st and half the time you'll find you have little to no wheelspin in 2nd, depending on how you shift.

Me I launch at 8-9000 the rev's drop to about 6-7000 the second the needle hits the 8800 mark the gears are being shifted, even with wheelspin I run 1.5-1.6 60fts on slicks. I dont spin much in 2nd if at all.

wynode
13-04-2005, 09:09 PM
my hole family is a car maniac! my oldest bro got a wrx on his red Pz and i learnt of him ! just watching! an my other bro with the project corolla! an other mates with cars! i just watch an learn! :p
an when my time comes! il tell you how/when/an whats happens when i run down the strip! sorry for going of topic!
Just shutup please.

Chi
13-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Just shutup please.

I 2nd that.

You talk alot of shit for a guy who hasnt even got a license.

Trust me, lots of people on the forum are ****ing ticked off with your spam and inaccurate information you provide.

panda[cRx]
13-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Just shutup please.

2nd that

You talk alot of shit for a guy who hasnt even got a license.

Trust me, lots of people on the forum are ****ing ticked off with your spam and inaccurate information you provide.

2nd that

edit:
shit
f_ck
p_ssy
crap
c_nt.... chi wanted some swearing;)

wynode
13-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Guys point made now lets not get sidetracked with the topic.

faijai
14-04-2005, 06:59 PM
hey experts out there!! when u launch. is it normal to get the wheels chirping? or is the car just spose to do a nice clean launch? sumtimes when i launch the car just does a lil jolt and sumtimes it chirps. which is better? or is it normal for chirping?:confused: :)

wynode
14-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Chirp is ok as long as you're not sitting in one place.

You been practising ? :D

faijai
14-04-2005, 09:32 PM
hehe yeah i guess u can say that wyn ;)
been taking it easy trying up around the 3 - 4k mark. hehe:wave: :D

EG5
15-04-2005, 12:02 PM
you've got to get the tyres spin abit and rolling on the same time.
full traction means bogging and it will slow you down.

Non Vtec
15-04-2005, 02:07 PM
you've got to get the tyres spin abit and rolling on the same time.
full traction means bogging and it will slow you down.

That really is the hardest thing to get people to both beleive and change. Wheel spin is your friend not your enemy..

joyride
22-04-2005, 09:07 AM
That really is the hardest thing to get people to both beleive and change. Wheel spin is your friend not your enemy..
interesting. this applies to FWD cars only or all types? ie. 4WD and RWD included?

EG5
22-04-2005, 09:20 AM
applies to 4wd , fwd and rwd.