PDA

View Full Version : Licence suspension/Insurance question

Indie
14-08-2011, 07:46 PM
G'day guys.

I'm a couple of weeks away from finishing my 6 month suspension for speeding.

(For the record, I wasn't 'hooning', but I was going 114 in a 100 zone, which dropped down to an 80 zone, where they nabbed me doing what was now 34 over the limit. A bit of a lazy error, which proved very costly.)

Anyway, I'm about to get back on the road, but I have a question regarding my insurance. I currently have a policy with Just Car that I took out just before I lost my licence. I have third party, ~$350p/a.

My question is: despite the fact that I already have a policy in place, and had no suspensions when I took it out, do I need to alert them that I now have a suspension? If I don't go out of my way to tell them, are they able to refuse to pay on a claim? Or do they have to honour the contract already in place?

Thanks for any help. I need to be sure of this before I get back on the road.

markismaximus
14-08-2011, 08:02 PM
If you don't make them aware your circumstances (ie loss of license) have changed then yes they could refuse to pay a claim. The contract would basically be null and void because the information within the contract would be incorrect, and then they have you by the balls so to speak

ep3rsteve
14-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Yes, you need to tell them.

You've got nothing to lose at the moment by telling them, you can have peace of mind that you will receive future claims back.

However, when you renew your policy next time you will be paying extra on your premium for this. Nothing you can do to avoid it.

Indie
15-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah, so I obviously expect my premium to increase, but I won't need to pay anything extra until it's time to renew my policy? That would be preferable.

Any idea how much more I can expect to pay when I renew it, considering I'm currently on third party fire and theft, 23yo, for $350p/a. Will it, say, double?

markismaximus
15-08-2011, 08:35 AM
do a quote online, do one with a loss of license of included and one without.

will give you some indication of the difference. Don't think it will double though

dougie_504
15-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah, so I obviously expect my premium to increase, but I won't need to pay anything extra until it's time to renew my policy? That would be preferable.

Any idea how much more I can expect to pay when I renew it, considering I'm currently on third party fire and theft, 23yo, for $350p/a. Will it, say, double?

$350 a year for extended 3rd party with an Integra is a great deal! All the other quotes I've seen lately have been $450+ because it's a high-incident vehicle and because of the amount of claims made in the last 12 months.

If I were you I'd expect to pay easily $500+.

Don't be afraid to shop around either. Many insurance companies will always give you a first-time $50 discount on a new policy to entice you to join with them because it makes them look cheaper initially. Subsequent years will often see your premium increase because of this. They call it a 'new business discount'.

Indie
15-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I see a lot of wrecked Tegs getting parted out in the Marketplace forum. Makes me sad. I definitely won't be wrecking mine!

TheSaint
15-08-2011, 02:57 PM
ack i just got done for a similar mistake - wasnt intentionally speeding but lost my licence for 6 months all the same =/

i wish they would do something about all the morons that thrash their commodores on the street i live in were kids play every day
instead of blocking up the system with silly mistakes from people with spotless records =/

Indie
15-08-2011, 09:13 PM
ack i just got done for a similar mistake - wasnt intentionally speeding but lost my licence for 6 months all the same =/

i wish they would do something about all the morons that thrash their commodores on the street i live in were kids play every day
instead of blocking up the system with silly mistakes from people with spotless records =/Damn, sorry to hear that mate. I know! I watch dickheads skidding their shitty VTs (it's always the ****ing Commodore drivers...) down the street, arseholes cutting people off or turning without indicating, and see three-car pileups due to tailgating, and can't believe that I'M the one without my licence. These people don't deserve to use the roads, and although I acknowledge that I made a mistake, the other 95% of the time I'm an excellent driver.

I hope the next few months aren't too painful, and go by as quickly as can be expected. I know I'll be a lot more vigilant from now on. That's the best thing about having a GSi, it's fun to drive within the speed limits. I just can't wait to get back on the road... I've been playing Forza a lot over the last few months, just to scratch the driving itch a tiny bit.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll alert Just Car about my suspension.

WATAJK
15-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Good move in alerting them of your suspensions. I have 2 of them! Luckily i let them know of both, even if you forget one minor thing such as 1 suspension OR 1 previous claim you've had to put in, they will rape you sideways to not process you claims! Insurance company = thieves to be honest!

Indie
15-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Cheers. I'm hoping this will be my first and last, haha. Yeah, they sure are bastards, but what can you do. Cops, insurance companies, other drivers... What a world it would be if we lived in a world of open, empty roads with smooth tarmac and enormous run off areas.

Jccck
16-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I think the NRMA added a a thousand bucks to my excess because of my recently finished disqualification.. It's serious business!

Indie
16-08-2011, 12:49 PM
That's okay, I don't expect to be making a claim. Heh. Fingers crossed!

TheSaint
16-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that mate. I know! I watch dickheads skidding their shitty VTs (it's always the ****ing Commodore drivers...) down the street, arseholes cutting people off or turning without indicating, and see three-car pileups due to tailgating, and can't believe that I'M the one without my licence. These people don't deserve to use the roads, and although I acknowledge that I made a mistake, the other 95% of the time I'm an excellent driver.

I hope the next few months aren't too painful, and go by as quickly as can be expected. I know I'll be a lot more vigilant from now on. That's the best thing about having a GSi, it's fun to drive within the speed limits. I just can't wait to get back on the road... I've been playing Forza a lot over the last few months, just to scratch the driving itch a tiny bit.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll alert Just Car about my suspension.

couldnt have sed it better man =)

Zilli
16-08-2011, 07:02 PM
its called a Duty Of Disclosure, and most general insurers operate under it, it means it is up to you to let them know of any changes to factors used to rate the policy. THese factors are found on your insurance paperwork, if anything changes, under the Insurance Contracts Act they can enact penalties on you which they will outline in their PDS... so do let them know if you want zero risk

Indie
24-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Okay, so I rang them up and told them. It will result in.... Wait for it... An $11 increase on my premium!

Yeah, I'll cop that.

dougie_504
24-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Is that all? My insurance seems to go up about $50 a year anyway, and they state it's across the board and has nothing to do with my clean record.

I'd cop that too lol