PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a new Flywheel?

ALPS
15-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi Guys,

Getting my clutch changed hopefully this week. Getting the Exedy HD for 710. I was wondering if i should change my Flywheel or not. Apparently it can help with the Gear Grinding. but also make around town driveability abit crap. Any Suggestions? I got a quote for an Exedy Flywheel from same place. 550. with installation about 1800 all up.

vyets
15-08-2011, 02:05 PM
get it!

it won't help with your gear grinding but it will make your car rev up abit faster, that's if your getting a lighter one. and since your changing your clutch you might as well change the flywheel since your at it. If you don't you need to machine your stock flywheel anyway and also buy some new flywheel bolts.

bennjamin
15-08-2011, 02:20 PM
pros : increased throttle response.

cons: decreased feel , stalls easily , "feels" slower unless you keep the revs up. Also makes car WORSE to drive normally IE around town. Crap in traffic.

If you are going for TRACK work occasionally - go for it. But if u want a daily driver with abit of hooning like normal , avoid a lightweight flywheel. I recently got one on a K20a - and around town i dont like it.

ALPS
15-08-2011, 02:34 PM
pros : increased throttle response.

cons: decreased feel , stalls easily , "feels" slower unless you keep the revs up. Also makes car WORSE to drive normally IE around town. Crap in traffic.

If you are going for TRACK work occasionally - go for it. But if u want a daily driver with abit of hooning like normal , avoid a lightweight flywheel. I recently got one on a K20a - and around town i dont like it.

thanks soo much for the pointers. i guess i'll just get my existing one machined then.

AusS2000
15-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Why are you all talking about 'lightened' flywheels.

The OP doesn't mentioned 'lightened' in his post at all.

ALPs, if your flywheel is bad you should replace it rather than machine it. Our engines rev to 9000 rpm and the flywheels are case hardened (thin layer on outside). That said, I doubt your flywheel needs replacing. But I also seem to remember saying this exact same thing in another of your threads.

ALPS
16-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Why are you all talking about 'lightened' flywheels.

The OP doesn't mentioned 'lightened' in his post at all.

ALPs, if your flywheel is bad you should replace it rather than machine it. Our engines rev to 9000 rpm and the flywheels are case hardened (thin layer on outside). That said, I doubt your flywheel needs replacing. But I also seem to remember saying this exact same thing in another of your threads.

i kinda was thinking MOD wise Aus2000 lol. lighter or better spec'd in anyway. lol.

VeYzZii
16-08-2011, 11:10 AM
i kinda was thinking MOD wise Aus2000 lol. lighter or better spec'd in anyway. lol.

Trade off top end for bottom end.. Its not really a modification, more of a substitution..

ALPS
16-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Trade off top end for bottom end.. Its not really a modification, more of a substitution..

Maybe i'll just leave it as is then. I thought it would help with shifting gears and the dodgey syncros the S2 has. i hate my gearbox feel extremely right now and i get jealous watching anyone else Shift there own manual car soo smoothly. i need to fix this :(

VeYzZii
16-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Maybe i'll just leave it as is then. I thought it would help with shifting gears and the dodgey syncros the S2 has. i hate my gearbox feel extremely right now and i get jealous watching anyone else Shift there own manual car soo smoothly. i need to fix this :(

How bad are we talking? Just get a new Gearbox. There is an S2000 wrecking in Sydney. He's getting rid of whole front end and the Tran and Diff.

ALPS
16-08-2011, 07:57 PM
How bad are we talking? Just get a new Gearbox. There is an S2000 wrecking in Sydney. He's getting rid of whole front end and the Tran and Diff.

making a slight crunch or knock on nearly any gear change. the fill plug threading is gone and it's been liquid metalled in. my gearbox oil hasn't been checked or changed since i've had it. it's been almost 9 months now. sometimes wont select gear. i've got to play between gears till it goes into the one i need. i'm assuming maybe it's cos of the oil. i'm getting my clutch done this week hopefully. going to see if i can get the thread repaired and oil changed. see if it makes an improvement. Fingers crossed.

ducbui91
19-08-2011, 03:09 AM
its cz u need to bleed the cylinder i believe and also top up fluid as i had that problem last week and its slides in gear with ease

ALPS
19-08-2011, 07:46 AM
a few weeks ago i had my master and slave cylinder replaced with oem and new fluid by Essnedon Honda. it's not that. lol everyone said it will be. but it changed nothing

foowoei69
28-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Have u checked the plastic bush on the bottom of the gear shifter to see if it's broken?
Remove the gear stick and check it just incase or just do it when u do ur clutch and oil.
Might be adding to ur shifting dramas..
Good luck dude.

connorling
20-09-2011, 11:15 AM
making a slight crunch or knock on nearly any gear change. the fill plug threading is gone and it's been liquid metalled in. my gearbox oil hasn't been checked or changed since i've had it. it's been almost 9 months now. sometimes wont select gear. i've got to play between gears till it goes into the one i need. i'm assuming maybe it's cos of the oil. i'm getting my clutch done this week hopefully. going to see if i can get the thread repaired and oil changed. see if it makes an improvement. Fingers crossed.

I have the same problem as well, any ideas how to solve it?

AusS2000
20-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I know how ALPS solved it:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?155120-Hondworld.-Anyone-got-history

AusS2000
20-09-2011, 11:36 AM
But your problem sounds like clutch drag. It is not fully disengaging and dragging the input shaft. First steps would be to overhaul the clutch hydraulics. Flush, and if that don't make difference have a look at your master/slave cylinders.

ALPS
20-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I have the same problem as well, any ideas how to solve it?

When you say you're having the same problem, can you explain which one? there's two mentioned. The dodgey gear change or the fill plug threading?

connorling
20-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Crunchy gear change. Very rough gear change.

ALPS
20-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Crunchy gear change. Very rough gear change.

All the time? or maybe only when you first start the car? or maybe After you've been driving for a while? or maybe while your redlining at 9000rpm quick shifting to next gear?

connorling
20-09-2011, 01:37 PM
All the time? or maybe only when you first start the car? or maybe After you've been driving for a while? or maybe while your redlining at 9000rpm quick shifting to next gear?

All the time, first gear is worst. n reverse is pretty hard as well, need to release n press the clutch a few times

ALPS
20-09-2011, 02:14 PM
All the time, first gear is worst. n reverse is pretty hard as well, need to release n press the clutch a few times

Yer, it's most prob the gearbox. If you just put it into third then back into reverse or first. it should be easier then pushing clutch in and out a few times. Start saving to either rebuild it or replace it. Or just put up with it. I couldnt deal with it anymore. It's soo annoying.