PDA

View Full Version : Is it fair to say that auto Accord euros are torque junkies, or at least their owners

glazewolf
16-08-2011, 05:04 PM
_____

Zilli
16-08-2011, 06:58 PM
the sole purpose of a torque converter in an automatic transmission is to act like the clutch of a manual gearbox... it makes for a smooth transition of the twisting force of the flywheel to the gearbox...

unless i am out of the loop... theres no way a converter can multiply torque... can you provide a link that explains this?

Indie
16-08-2011, 07:03 PM
can you provide a link that explains this?Agreed. Torque is cheap.

Zilli
17-08-2011, 12:54 PM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter4.htm

good site that is

hmmmm i can see where it says that it multiplies it in the first page, which is cool, but i can't seem to get to the next pages to see how it actually multipies the torque figure... the pages come up blank... do you know how it works or are you just quoting that first page? just interested to understand is all...

I know it acts as a way to transfer the torque of the motor to the gearbox from stationary and low speeds, i would've thought it would do this by "converting" the power from the flywheel to the shortest gear in the box, which acts in itself as a multiplier as it takes each rotation from the flywheel and concerts it to a certain number of rotations of that small (in ratio) gear to get the car to move...

i just cannot see how it would increase the "torque" figure of the motor...

trism
17-08-2011, 02:38 PM
The torque multiplication effect only occurs when there is a big difference between input and output speeds. Ie stopped, low speeds, high revs.

This is because the fluid is at hugely different pressures and is trying to equalize.

When speeds are close, like cruising along the freeway the fluid isn't under as much pressure, so there is near 0 torque multiplication

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.