PDA

View Full Version : NSW Got pulled over by a cop because of speeding

aznalex
19-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Question: Will I get a speeding ticket through the mail?

Summary: 8pm, I overtake an old lookin 4wd cop vehicle doing 90 in a 60 zone, got pulled over, I admitted to 80.., cop said "ill just say u were doing 70 or else u will lose ur green P license"

*she takes my license, does whatever with it, come back n chats says something about a warning or fine i dont know, gives it back, then lets me go*

^So - goes back to the main question up top^

btw my car wasnt roaring past the cop car, i was in 5th gear

trism
19-08-2011, 07:48 AM
We arent mind readers, you might, you might not. Its all luck of the draw.

Why would you overtake a cop car if it meant speeding?

patsdc2
19-08-2011, 09:28 AM
We arent mind readers, you might, you might not. Its all luck of the draw.

Why would you overtake a cop car if it meant speeding?

2nd that. Unless the cop car is traveling at a tremendously slow speed, anyone with a right mind wouldn't even think about overtaking a cop car anywhere above 60 on a 60 road

aznalex
19-08-2011, 09:45 AM
It was dark, not much lighting on the road, there was a car tailgating the 4wd and it was an old cop car so markings of police were not clear..

aznalex
19-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Follow up question: since i didnt get an on the spot fine (which is what usually happens) what did i get? Mailed ticket or what.. Thats what im trying to find out. Is a mailed ticket possible? Though i have never heard of people getting pulled over then mailed a ticket.

My friend has been caught speeding multiple times and let off the hook with warnings every single time.

trism
19-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes a mailed ticket is possible.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

aznalex
19-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Can anybody else confirm this ?

GSi_PSi
19-08-2011, 10:16 AM
mailed ticket is possible but usually when they say they will mail it to you, it means they let you off with a warning,
Happend to me SRS.

jdm18c
19-08-2011, 10:16 AM
yes you can get a ticket in the mail

patchwick
19-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Nahh. You're not getting any on your mail. I got pulled over twice and got told that they'll send the ticker over mail but didn't receive them

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

aznalex
19-08-2011, 10:22 AM
mailed ticket is possible but usually when they say they will mail it to you, it means they let you off with a warning,
Happend to me SRS.

Thanks, im a little relieved that someone has had a similar experience as me.. Really hoping i did get let off the hook, like i wasnt speeding just to be a HK, wanted to get home and chow down! Was starving lol

aznalex
19-08-2011, 10:38 AM
@ep3rsteve

It was dark, not much lighting on the road, there was a car tailgating the cop 4wd and it was an old one so markings of police were not clear..

I wasnt aiming to zoom past a cop car, nobody would purposely do it, id assume..

RSKEbaby
01-09-2011, 12:38 AM
your definitely getting one in the mail.

happened to me, but was a HWP.

WATAJK
05-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Question: Will I get a speeding ticket through the mail?

Summary: 8pm, I overtake an old lookin 4wd cop vehicle doing 90 in a 60 zone, got pulled over, I admitted to 80.., cop said "ill just say u were doing 70 or else u will lose ur green P license"

*she takes my license, does whatever with it, come back n chats says something about a warning or fine i dont know, gives it back, then lets me go*

^So - goes back to the main question up top^

btw my car wasnt roaring past the cop car, i was in 5th gear

LMAO! Funny enough i have a story like this when i first got my license on my daily before i settled my speeding demons down :)
Was doing 180km/h in a 70km/h (Yes, i was a ****ing IDIOT), thank god nothing happened to me nor anybody else on the road...
Don't know why i was going that fast but yeah.. Anywho...

Came to a set of lights, cop pulled up, cracked it told me pull over...
Got asked. "How fast you think your going mate?"
Me: Uh.... im not sure, didn't notice the speedo, maybe 100km/h, sir"
Cop: "Rubbish, you were at least doing 130km/h+ (Me thinking oh ****, here we go... going to court, folks going to kill me >.>)
Me: "Well if you believe so, but i honestly don't think i was going that fast"
Cop: "Heres your license, you'll receieve a fine in the mail"

Was a 70km/h zone..

Fine came... He put 80km/h zone, booked me at 90km/h...

Letters do come but at the luck of the draw! She might do you for what she believes but when a radar isn't present it's hard to assume such a high speed.
Very questionable and can cause reasonable doubt if you choose to take it the court hence why they book you for much less

GSi_PSi
05-09-2011, 07:05 PM
^ if you kept quiet you could of got away with no fine at all but you admitted with recording so thats enough to get you for a fine if no radar detected

WATAJK
05-09-2011, 08:17 PM
^ if you kept quiet you could of got away with no fine at all but you admitted with recording so thats enough to get you for a fine if no radar detected

eh... only 10km/h... not a big deal
Was happy to get what i got tbh. Coulda been worse

Samm928
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
legally a police officer cannot do you for speeding unless they have you on the speed camera doing that range. they can only do you for negligent driving. mail ticket is out of the question can be battled in court and police officer can have his word against yours with no evidence of you speeding.

WATAJK
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
legally a police officer cannot do you for speeding unless they have you on the speed camera doing that range. they can only do you for negligent driving. mail ticket is out of the question can be battled in court and police officer can have his word against yours with no evidence of you speeding.

good luck telling a court that a 18year old kid is right over a veteran highway patrol officer. lol.

aznalex
28-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey guys just thought i would follow up on this case.

It has been almost 2 months and no speeding ticket in the mail

I think its more likely that u will get one if u r in a sporty car with exhaust
Ps i have a sad face panda sitting at the back of my window mabe that helped! Lol

qstoria
28-10-2011, 03:05 PM
What a weak setup this story was. You overtake the cop car by going 30km over the limit and your excuse for not seeing it was a cop is that the road was poorly lit? Doesn't sound like the greatest road to be going 30 over on in the first place.

Anyway to answer your question: If the cop mentions the word 'warning' then there will be no fine.

Some stories are better kept to yourself though :)

Areis
28-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Due to your speeding being less than 30km/h, it is counted as a minor offense and you will get a letter in say a fortnight to a month

steeeven
28-10-2011, 03:51 PM
pretty late reply but yes fine in the mail is possible as i got one sent to me about 1-2 months after my offense. I got done for negligent driving in nsw and got the letter at my address in qld.

u mad?
28-10-2011, 04:00 PM

this

if they don't have radar proof don't admit to shit, heck even if they say they do don't say shit

doesn't matter if you were doing like 200+ always say you were doing the speed limit

aznalex
29-10-2011, 02:32 PM
What a weak setup this story was. You overtake the cop car by going 30km over the limit and your excuse for not seeing it was a cop is that the road was poorly lit? Doesn't sound like the greatest road to be going 30 over on in the first place.

Anyway to answer your question: If the cop mentions the word 'warning' then there will be no fine.

Some stories are better kept to yourself though :)

I think i mentioned the cop car being an old beat up 4wd with unclear markings and all dirty with mud on top of that another car tailgating the vehicle, since i was going at 90 with bad lighting it was quite difficult to distinguish the cop car

aznalex
29-10-2011, 02:36 PM
pretty late reply but yes fine in the mail is possible as i got one sent to me about 1-2 months after my offense. I got done for negligent driving in nsw and got the letter at my address in qld.

I think u may have got ur fine late cause u did ur speeding offence in a different state. Prob took time transferring you details over to another department or so