PDA

View Full Version : Comptech Short Shifter...

Pum[Z]
11-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Installed the Comptech Short Shifter this morning...

Found the Comptech instructions was a bit more difficult to understand then Neuspeeds instructions so followed Neuspeeds instructions becuase it showed actual photographs for the step by step procedures...

Found the Bushing Removal Tool to not work so might as well chuck it out and just use a flat head screwdriver to remove the bushing... Then use a hammer and lightly tap the short shift bracket into the bushing...

The gear change is definetly more short and is more stiff and precise... The gear changes reminds me of the DC5R my friend owns..

Got a question though for the u guys that have the comptech short shifter installed on their euros: In neautral do u guys find that gear stick moves up and down real easily?? It said in instructions to apply small amount of grease on short shifter ball.. I didn't have any grease so used WD40 :p Don't know maybe due to WD40 in neautral my gear stick moves up and down real easily...

Well got to get used to the shorter gear shifts now...

aaronng
11-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Actually, WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a water dispersant. I'd go get some lithium grease and put that in after wiping off the WD40.

baboo
11-02-2005, 10:07 PM
gear stick shouldn't move up & down....maybe the SS is not click in properly with the stock shifter.

Pum[Z]
12-02-2005, 02:13 AM
gear stick shouldn't move up & down....maybe the SS is not click in properly with the stock shifter.

I have already put the locolite on the stock shifter so i can't take it apart again... It just moves about loosely up n down like 1 cm... The car is fine & the gear changes are fine.. I'll have a look at it again some other time and see what went wrong...

Peekay34
12-02-2005, 10:07 PM
I had the movement as well..started today. Pulled the gear shift assembly out (pain in the arf) and had a look. Pulled the Comptech tip off (with much swearing and alot of force). Initially could not figure out what I did wrong...So put some more loctite on again and put on again but would not go on again properly ..scratch the head and tried again then figured out what had happened. After pushing down on the Comptech tip with more force it seated completly into the place it should have in the beginning...uh duh. It was sloppy on the shaft before but now tight as a vestal virgin. Also put loctite on the allen screws. Shifts much better and not as stiff. So I think if yours is sloppy you may have done the same as me...the tip (original has) to completely go in, so the allen screws are on the shaft not on the tapered bit.

EuroAccord13
13-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I didn't even use loctite on mine, just bolted it in hard with the screws...

Yeah, that darn ball removal tool from CompTech doesn't work LOL.. had to remove it my way....

Peekay34
14-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Yes the tool does work on the plastic bit ...had no issues it was the aluminium piece that had issues as was installed wrong....but now..... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Pum[Z]
15-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Alright i'll give it a look and pull apart the short shifter agian...

Thanx for the tip Peekay...

kanthan
15-03-2005, 05:23 PM
is there anyone in australia selling the shifter? otherwise who ships to australia?

baboo
15-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Ebay mate

Peekay34
15-03-2005, 07:51 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/Acura-of-Escondido-Parts