PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers for AP1

Bruunz
22-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi All,

So i'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some insight into some experiance / thoughts on suspension set ups.

Currently i have an 01 AP1 that has lowered springs (just under a 2 finger gap all round) and im pretty sure that the shocks have never been changed. It's @ 165,000ks now and im noticing that im scrubbing a lot more then i used when i first bought (as is) the car. It also has 18" rims which i would like to replace eventually. So i think it's time to look at some alternatives.

It's far too low for any track day as it bottoms out on sweeping tights bends and i would love to be able to get on the track with this car. Hopefully more often than less.

My initial thought was for Bilstien PSS9s but an unreliable source told me they might be a little too soft. Any thoughts / experiance with any coilovers would be very much appreciated.

My only criteria is that they won't shatter my spine as my AP1 is a daily driver and under $5000 (preferably $3000 mark would be better but i'd rather pay more if it has better long term application). Anything has to be better than what im running with now. Almost got beached at Macquarie shopping centre last night :(

Thanks.

vyets
22-08-2011, 02:12 PM
$3000 that's a nice budget

Try the newly released Eibach Multipro R2 if I didn't have my tein src I would def buy these!

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/Blogpics/suspension/eibach_2way_01.jpg

dlai5552
22-08-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm using Bilstein PSS9.
Depends on what you classify as too soft? I have my front on the hardest setting and rears a tad softer, and it's awesome for track. But when driving on the bumpy roads, it's still very annoying to me as it's not actually soft and too comfortable. But they are softer than a lot of other coilovers. Overall, great product.

Since you are looking at such a high price range, even considering $5000, why dont you look for something like ohlins, KW Clubsports, motons, cusco or Tein src. (2nd hand for cusco and motons)
Although, $3-5000 is a lot of money to spend. So it depends on how much you will track the car?
I think that it'd be a waste of money spending anything greater than $1500 (2nd hand) on coilovers if it's mainly going to be a street warrior.

AusS2000
22-08-2011, 06:36 PM
That price range will nicely cover a set of KWv3s.

vyets
22-08-2011, 06:47 PM
That price range will nicely cover a set of KWv3s.

That price range will nicely cover a set of KW clubsports. :)

dlai5552
22-08-2011, 07:42 PM
That price range will nicely cover a set of KW clubsports. :)

+1!

but, I'd look into tein or ohlins. Ohlins just to be different and claim the title, "baller". HAHA :D

Mullensxxx
23-08-2011, 05:35 PM
ive got spoon n1 coilovers and i really like them ^^ really solid and would definately reccomend them, from spoon they are ~ 3k before shipping

FenrirWC
23-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Im just gonna jump in here and say while you have $5g to spend on coilovers that doesn't mean you have to spend the whole 5 grand.

As its a daily drive im guessing you don't want crazy spring rates, 32 damper adjustment so on and so forth so why not look at something that gives you what you need. So far the biggest factor you stated is a daily drive so Bilstien PSS9 may be what your after as they seem to be popular for those who run about in the S as their daily (From what i've read in other forums) how they perform on the track is beyond me so i ask around for others advice =) BuddyClub N+ might be an option for you tho as from what ive read on the BC website and some reviews they seem to be decent.

Third and final thought might be to look at tein as you said using it for DD and thinking about going to the track you might grab a nice pair of tein coilovers and also grab the EDFC unit to go with them. This will allow you to adjust the dampers to suit the track and when your done adjust them back for the drive home through the press of a button.

Ultimately it is your money and you can spend as much as you like on your car ^_^ but dont be afraid to ask for others opinions as we might have just the right info you need tho dont take every word we say like its the law ;)

Bruunz
24-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the info. I think it's going to be a while before i make the choice. I'd compare it to shoe shopping - They all do the same job but every pair feels different on your foot.

I've been reading quite good reviews about the TIEN SRC's but their products beneath them apparently aren't worth it.

My main reason for the bigger budget is because i only want to have to do this once... I want to avoid buying the cheaper product and regret it 6 months later and start this process again.

I might head down to Heismans when i get some time. Hopefully they can provide me with good advice without being biased to the Bilstiens.

vyets
24-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Good stuff take your time man

I've been through 3 sets of coils and might be going onto a 4th set those eibachs seem awesome!

It depends on what you can handle, I mean the SRC's are rough I can handle em however but some people believe they are too rough, depends on what you can handle.

kwv3 is probally your best bang for buck, cheap and awesome coils and cheap too, wayy better then your crappy low end teins or buddyclubs.

Bruunz
24-08-2011, 04:03 PM
@Mullensxxx

Have you used the Spoon N1s on the track? How did they fair?

Mullensxxx
24-08-2011, 06:05 PM
need a few more things b4 i hit the track, ill let u know when i do ^^

dlai5552
24-08-2011, 06:25 PM
My mate uses spoon. He is trying to upgrade ASAP to better ones :)
I told him to go motons or cusco lol

AusS2000
24-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I was thinking that but didn't want to incur the wrath of fanbois.

thebob
25-08-2011, 04:22 PM
The spoon coilovers are fantastic, been in mullens car a few times and they are great. 1-4 levels of adjustment which you can notice each stage. I'm running buddyclubs as they came on the car but so far so good. They do there job to the best of my ability. Through my experience with circuit racing, better of sticking with a coilover that has been valved and spring weighted by a company that has success in racing.