PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket throttle bodys

monda2
24-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi All

If you have been reading my other thread regarding hunting idle (b16a) I think I may have found the problem, my standard TB has slight play where the butterfly is secured which will probably be letting a little air in, which could be causing the hunting.

So I am looking for another TB purely to fix the possible air leak, there seem to be a few options/brands -professional products, Omni, Blox, skunk etc, dont want to spend a fortune (which means PP or Omni), not wanting to purchase an IM either so my question is who has tried an after market TB like the below on a standard engine (I do have 4-2-1 headers and cold air intake, will be adding a wolf 3d ecu soon - hopefully)

http://www.ioffer.com/i/pro-products-throttle-body-tps-sensor-civic-si-b16a-jdm-94607791?source=eisi

are they any good - quality reliability etc?

Am also looking into possibly fixing my current TB for ease and cost but thought maybe its worth going to a slightly larger one - 65mm which could work down the track for further mods to the engine? I have researched and from what peeps say you should not lose power going to a larger TB you may not gain power unless a new IM is purchased aswell, at the moment I just want to stop the hunting!

I will be getting it dynoed once new ecu setup

What do yo guys reckon?

Cheers

dougie_504
24-08-2011, 11:29 PM
What have you done to fix the idle? IACV? FITV? TPS?

Why don't you get another B16A TB to ensure this is the problem?

Personally I wouldn't suggest doing it just to fix the idle, can make you go backwards if you don't know what you're doing/buying. IM is more important than your TB. Standard TB is fine and will do the job well until much further down the track.

Best proven option so far is an ITR TB/IM (value for money). $350 or so for the pair. Total bargain IMO, I'm running this setup on my JDM B16A. You'll also need ITR fuel rail/injectors.

I also don't agree with the ECU part. Do you even have an exhaust, or just CAI + header? I wouldn't even consider any tuning at all unless you'd done TB+IM, header, cat and cat-back. Even then just an VAFC might do the trick. ECU is great when you have an upgraded cam setup + valvetrain.

TbM
24-08-2011, 11:50 PM
By "Slight play where the butterfly is secured" do you mean the spring is no longer holding the throttle plate closed or the actual shaft is moving in the TB? If its just the spring take it apart and bend it so it holds the plate closed.

beeza
25-08-2011, 06:42 AM
^^ Yes,just replace the spring or cut it and bend the end up.That will 're-torque' it. i.e. Make it shorter.

bennjamin
25-08-2011, 10:14 AM
....but no matter what TB you replace with...it too will have "slight play". so will you replace those too?

The fact is this issue is something else. Your car needs air at idle.

TbM
25-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Yes cars do need air at idle but too much is not good. If the spring that holds the throttle plate closed is worn out it can intermittently not close and cause the car to idle high/hunt which could be the issue, depends on what he means by slight play tho...

monda2
25-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes the play is in the shaft not the spring, I havnt fixed the idle as I am thinking this could be causing the hunting because its letting to much air in.
Seems to be quite hard to find another b16a TB, good ones are getting rare from my research, I am not after more power at the moment just want to fix the hunting, this is about the last option I can think of!

Re - ecu -I have a full exhaust from head to tip plus the cold air intake

So all TB's have slight play in the shaft?

I read the h22 honda prelude (60-62mm) TB should fit??

TbM
25-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Id make sure your throttle body is actualy the problem before you replace it, Is the shaft moving back n forth like in the pic below?
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/TbMindustrys/shaftplay.jpg
If you think the shaft is causing the issue check for vacuum leaks around the shafts ends.

beeza
26-08-2011, 08:33 AM
U can clean the gunk off where the plate seals inside the tb and undo the 2 screws on the plate and adjust it to seal properly,then tighten.If U hold it up to the light u can see any gaps.

Just adding..

TheSaint
26-08-2011, 01:49 PM
take the TB off and give it a birthday (service)
follow beezas DIY thread to put it back together if u need to know how

there are so many things that could be effecting an idle hunt:

have you checked all your vacc lines?
have you checked/calibrated the TPS?
have you checked/replaced the TB gasket?
have you checked/removed the charcoal canister?
are the IACV and FTIV been cleaned out and are working properly?

if its any one of these things buying a new TB will not fix the problem

if your not willing to explore these possibilities than take it to a mechanic .....

monda2
26-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys, I have tried all the above and all ok, I have booked it in to a mechanic next week as I am stumped! cheers