PDA

View Full Version : Shock + Springs combo help please!

Lubetube
25-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey, as the title states, I'm after some help regarding shocks and springs.
Main reason for these are for:
- lowered to look nice :D
- improved handling for more comfort.
I've done my research regarding S+S VS Coilovers, and considering the price difference and some personal opinions, probably gonna go with the S+S combo.

Did some browsing and came up against these promising combos.
-Eibach Sport-System (Sportline Springs & Pro-Damper Shocks) - Front:1.6 In, Rear:1.6 In
-Eibach Pro-System (Pro-Kit Springs & Pro-Damper Shocks) - Front:1.2 In, Rear:1.2 In
- Koni Yellow/Red shocks with (whatever lowering springs)

considering the price of the koni yellow's matched with springs, gonna be more expensive than the eibach's (eibach: both 470ish w/o postage)

I've read the sports system is better, but the pro system is much lower. just wondering if anyone know's if the 1.2 is too low for aussie roads and that i should go straight for the sport since these are non adjustable.

(running in [soon to be] 15 inch rims)

thanks. all feed back is appreciated :)

TheSaint
25-08-2011, 02:32 PM
i put Tein S-Tech with Skunk2 Sport Shocks on mine - pretty happy with it
the shocks arnt adjustable tho and i would say that Eibach are a bit better quality spring than the S-Tech

if it was me and i had the money i would definatly get the Eibach Pro-System

mugen_ctr
25-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Many in the states prefer the Koni yellows + GC sleeves, an swear by it

dougie_504
25-08-2011, 04:03 PM
You could get a good set of used coilovers for $600-900.

Sure you don't want to get them? Adjustable height and stiffer for improved handling, much better option IMO.

Maybe try to get a set of Skunk2 Pro S second hand.

Otherwise KYB and Koni make great shocks from my experience. Springs, probably Eibach I reckon.

Don't buy cheap sh!t. Post up here what you're leaning towards just to get some opinions.

Lubetube
25-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the response guys.

Don't get me wrong, if I saw <$750 (and in decent condition) coilovers, I'll be all over that shit in a heartbeat, problem is I haven't seen any that were in good condition or didn't have over 20,000kms on them.
( if you know anyone with cheap coils let me know please :) )

Main concern is that is that I don't feel like I'm going to take my 1.3L breeze on track, so s+s combo just seems wiser in terms of purpose (lowering + comfort) and money.

I'm leaning towards the eibachs s+s combo because it seems pretty affordable.
Plan to buy it from andys body kit store ( or whatevers it's called ).
Does anyone know if that place is any good?

If anyone else can suggest a s+s combo for less than $500, I'm all ears :)

dougie_504
25-08-2011, 10:47 PM
You said you wanted lower and better handling. Neither of these things will give you comfort mate. You will fall down into your car and climb back out once it's lowered. It might handle a tiny bit better being lowered but I'd never lower a car on soft springs for performance. If you want handling you get stiffer springs. This is not comfortable, and although you get used to daily driving you really notice how crap it feels when you do a long drive.

If you want comfortable, and cheap (being a 1.3 breeze) then keep the suspension standard IMO.

If you're prepared to sacrifice the comfort of the car for handling, then get stiffer suspension (coilovers).

Also KMs hasn't got all that much to do with the condition of the coilovers, it's no indication of the use they've been put to. I'm using Bilstein coilovers on my both cars, which for all I know could be 10-15 years old at least. They still rock, feel awesome. It takes a hell of a beating to ruin a set of good quality coilovers.

What state/city do you live in? I'll keep an eye out for coilovers for you.

Lubetube
26-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Fair point.
In melbourne/victoria. Thanks buddy :) Appreciate it!

TheSaint
26-08-2011, 01:43 PM
if its just going on a breeze than get skunk2 sport shocks and tein s-techs
probably the best value for money, doesnt drop the car on its ass, and its not too bad to drive daily
you will really want to get an OEM 14mm swaybar as well though
i would also recommend front upper strut, rear upper strut, and rear lower tie braces too

personally ... a 1.3ltr breeze ... i wouldnt bother lol
keep it stock

Lubetube
26-08-2011, 06:16 PM
hopefully do a b18 conversion once i start making some decent money :)

dougie_504
26-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Then you're better off starting with a different platform IE a fuel injected EG.

Ultimately you're better off considering other vehicles and just driving the cheap breeze while you're not earning much money.

mugen_ctr
26-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Then you're better off starting with a different platform IE a fuel injected EG.

Ultimately you're better off considering other vehicles and just driving the cheap breeze while you're not earning much money.

+1 IF ur gonna do bits here an there, might as well start off with a EG5, if anything, a 1.3lt carby breeze is a runabout car imo, go with EFI, and disc brakes all around, much better platform to work on

Mikecivic78
26-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Eibach pro kit and koni sport FTW. I swear by it for a streeter.

And like the Saint said, get a rear swaybar, it's an absolute must.

NelsonLSY
29-08-2011, 02:11 AM
I have Skunk 2 shocks + H Tech springs which are for the dc2 on my EG
running pretty stiff and drives great

Lubetube
29-08-2011, 10:45 AM

really? :(
It's got like a new yellow spray job + i just fixed all the kinks etc etc :(
instead of starting a new post ill just ask here. is it really not worth throwing a b18 in an eg3? im happy to spend 6k-8k for the complete engine conversion (engine, misc parts, labour), but if it's another 2-3k just because it's an eg3, then i guess ill have to reconsider.

thanks for the response guys :)

TheSaint
29-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I have Skunk 2 shocks + H Tech springs which are for the dc2 on my EG
running pretty stiff and drives great

if i was to buy my setup again i would use H-Tech springs with the slunk2 shocks instead of the S-Tech

mugen_ctr
29-08-2011, 05:46 PM
if i was to buy my setup again i would use H-Tech springs with the slunk2 shocks instead of the S-Tech

H-tech is luxery isnt it?

and S-tech is sports, so wouldnt u go for s-tech over h-tech?

NelsonLSY
29-08-2011, 06:07 PM
haha what's wrong with the S, too low or what?

I didn't want to have it too low and that's why I got rid of the H Tech

btw I am about to get rid of my D16Y1 but im in SA, you interested?

TheSaint
29-08-2011, 06:52 PM
too much postage =(
unless u can send it over to WA cheap
if you part it out ill take the dizzy asap!

dougie_504
29-08-2011, 10:46 PM
really? :(
It's got like a new yellow spray job + i just fixed all the kinks etc etc :(
instead of starting a new post ill just ask here. is it really not worth throwing a b18 in an eg3? im happy to spend 6k-8k for the complete engine conversion (engine, misc parts, labour), but if it's another 2-3k just because it's an eg3, then i guess ill have to reconsider.

thanks for the response guys :)

Yes, it would be easier mate. Wiring would be easier, fuel tank is already setup etc.

But when you consider that the paint is fresh and the car is in good knick (plus you love it) then that's another story I guess. If you're happy to spend $4-6g then you can afford to do it easily.

Lubetube
30-08-2011, 09:56 AM
If you're happy to spend $4-6g then you can afford to do it easily.

Is that another 4-6gs on TOP of the already 8k+ for the engine conversion because thats a whole different story, lol.

Alvis
30-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Just back to shock/spring discussion - this might sound like a dumb question - but will fitting fixed Spoon dampers (car is sitting on Spoon progressive springs atm) lower the car when switching out the OEM dampers?

I've been told it could lower the car another approx 20mil?

(it dropped 20mm after fitting springs)

trism
30-08-2011, 01:11 PM
It depends if the shock body is shorter than the stock ones.

Sent from my custard cannon like Peter North.

dougie_504
30-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Is that another 4-6gs on TOP of the already 8k+ for the engine conversion because thats a whole different story, lol.

$6g for a B18C conversion will probably get the job done

Lubetube
30-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Sorry to pester you bout it, but would you know any place that does it at a good price? I've heard of a place in clayton ( forgot the name of it ). Do you know any where else?

dougie_504
30-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Clayton...isn't that Seeker Motorsports? Although AK Motorworks moved to Clayton at one point I'm not sure if Andy is still running the workshop side of things.

If I were you I'd also consider ModProject and RevZone.

And RPMGarage has been recommended to my very highly, they might be able to do a swap for you.

Lubetube
31-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks heapsbro, now that i think of it, think it was Mod Project!