PDA

View Full Version : [Euro] Fuel Consumption

Pages : 1 [2]

BiLL|z0r
30-04-2006, 01:15 PM
We just back from Noosa this w/end and got pretty good economy. 450km's on half a tank, 95% highway driving. There were about 10km's of 60km/h or slower on the Bruce Hwy due to too much traffic and about 40km's around Noosa on Saturday arvo. There were of course the occasional VTEC yo! spirts to pass slow drivers :)

nickowns
01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Anyone tried the optimax extreme? and a comparison to normal optimax?

I did a mistake today by fueling mobil6000 :( (bloody mobil, it was 4am in the morning and it said premium unleaded until I walked to the next pump and there was mobil8000) I've used half the tank now, reckon i should top it up with extreme to even it out?

aaronng
01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Mobil 6000 is 95 octane and will be ok for your Euro. If you don't feel good, go ahead and top up with a 98 octane (Mobil 8000). No point putting in Extreme if you don't have a reason to put 100 octane in.

nickowns
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
it's quite interesting, that this time when i filled up the tank, the trip meter only says 607km, usually when i top up it says 742km on optimax. Dat's what triggered myself to look at the fuel that i just put in at the station and realised there was mobil8000. Does the ECU have any detecting device?

Omotesando
02-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Any difference between Mobil6000 and 8000?

EK4R
02-05-2006, 12:58 AM
Mobil 8000 is 98 octane like optimax but i think its cleaner and less addictives than optimax. Mobil 6000 is 95 octane.

i prefer Ultimate > 8000 > optimax

Omotesando
02-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Mobil Synergy 6000 is infact 96RON in Melbourne. Not sure in other states? Would imagine the same.

In NZ they dropped the 96RON and thus changed the name to Synergy 5000 instead :S

I just read some issue of MOTOR today and BP Ultimate had this big page advertisement saying it is like a change from a 2.6L to a 3.0L car (I think.) just changing to BP Ultimate fuel, also quicker acceleration and more mileage. I think we could sue BP Ultimate for misleading the customer considering the RACV's Ford Festiva and Falcon test done by RACV and using BP fuels, showed otherwise...

As for Ultimate 98, Synergy 98 and Optimax 98 - in the Euro Accord I can't feel much difference. Syn 8000 seat of the pants to me, but I think I might be dreaming.. :(

nickowns
02-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I know it's probably been discussed to death but I can't find it.

Any Euro, Optimax vs Ultimate vs Syn8000 vs Vortex comments?

I know a lot of people reckon Ultimate is better than Optimax, why?

aaronng
02-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I know it's probably been discussed to death but I can't find it.

Any Euro, Optimax vs Ultimate vs Syn8000 vs Vortex comments?

I know a lot of people reckon Ultimate is better than Optimax, why?
Uhh.. why can't you find it!?!?! I bet you didn't search. I'll let you off this time :p Read this from start to end: http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26880 Please read the posts. And please use the search function

And.... people reckon Ultimate is better than optimax because of what EK4R just said 3 posts up. It's supposedly uses less additives to reach 98 oct.

nickowns
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
damn it didnt come up on page 1 of search and popped up on page 2!

:D sorry about that aaronng, I typed optimax vs BP ultimate in the search, i swear i did! hehehe.

anyways thanks for that.

I'm gonna go do some BP ultimate fills to see :)

ROLLED
02-05-2006, 03:45 PM
There is nothing wrong with your consumption figures using those revs. My revs while cruising are 2,900 at an indicated 120kmh or 114kmh actual hence the
8 litres/100kms or slightly less.

2,900 at 120!?!?!

the gearing in 6th is crap on the s2k IMO, good for racing i suppose but not really for real world driving.

S2k revs at 3,500 @ 100km/h in 6th

EK4R
02-05-2006, 11:34 PM
lol im in 4,000RPM when im at 110km/hr already :(

Omotesando
13-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Funny how with the fuel price so high, I gained an extra 55km fuel economy.

Using the same fuel as always - Synergy 8000.
In fact, assuming I top up my fuel tank to same level everytime, doing my calculations of how many litres I put in, my normal consumption is nearly always the same, +/- 15-20 Kms.

Until the fuel price went up, that is :S

EuroDude
13-05-2006, 12:54 AM
I found that using 98RON (Mobil) decreases fuel consuption by almost 1L/km compared to 95RON BP fuel.

On 95RON I was trying hard to get good consumption, but it sat at an average 11.2 where as 98RON averaged at 10.3 without even trying (actually Ive been revving higher than usual).

Omotesando
13-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey - that's not fair, coz u've been revving using Mobil Synergy 8000!

U know, the way I drive the car is, I rev it everyday. Which makes it fairly consistent. The car has broken in now, I could feel it loosen.

With Synergy 8000 vs Optimax 98, I get on average 20-30Kms more. Driving exactly the same.

I have the worst fuel consumption of everyone in here by the way, I don't even bother posting. Its my leaded foot.

EuroDude
13-05-2006, 01:18 AM
rofl now i'm curious, what is your fuel consumption?

13L/km? ... 15L/km? :eek:

Adagio
14-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Dammit, the wife just achieved 6.4L/100km on her own on a 110-120 cruise to Queanbeyan and back to the, lol, congested Southern Highlands. My previous on a similar run was 7.3 two up the other being, guess who;)

nickowns
23-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I just did a Sydney to Canberra trip in total FOG and I can only see 5 metres infront of me for about 2 hours out of the 3 hour drive. I regret not getting the fog lights :(

Anyways, I noticed my fuel consumption is very bad this time about 8.5L/100km with the weather ranging from -4 to about 3 degrees 80% of the way, usually the trip is a really good cruise at about high 6 to mid 7ishL/100km. Anyone else experience the same?

EuroDude
23-05-2006, 09:42 PM
I think its the opposite for me. Today it was very cold (like 12c) and my fuel consump was 9.4 to 9.9 in heavy traffic. My last fuel tank was giving 10.3 to 11.4 a week ago in warmer weather (20c). Same fuel (BP Ultimate), same traffic.

I'm guessing because the car performs better due to more oxygen in cold weather, so you dont need to rev as high.

nickowns
23-05-2006, 09:44 PM
but 12 degrees is hardly the -4 to 3 degrees range I must say :)

I'd almost think that there's a threshold of temperature for optimum fuel combustion. shrugs.

jamwyn
23-05-2006, 09:45 PM
nickowns: isnt it dangerous to be driving in conditions like that? 5metres ahead a ghost could just pop infront of yr car & driving like that for 2 hours. Maximum Stress! -4C as well!.

nickowns
23-05-2006, 09:47 PM
O yes let me tell you, I've never had such dangerous driving conditions like that. lucky I switch to the right lane and drove, there were heaps of rabbits and other forms of nature on the left side of the road, I think even the nature itself got lost and found themselves on the road.

I slowed down in parts of the 110 zone to about 60 because they didn;t put the bloody road reflectors in.

corn_flakes
24-05-2006, 12:42 AM
ever since i picked up my car from the dealer, the majority of my fuel has been 98 vortex (caltex) or bp ultimate.....98oct only for my euro....lol

what i have noticed is that i get better fuel consumption with bp ultimate...i've been thinking that it's just different conditions, driving habits, etc, but it's been like this multiple times....the results are reproducible and consistent...

on vortex, i get about approx 10.5L/100kms

on ultimate, i get about 9.2L/100kms...

BIG difference...

what does everyone reckon when they use it?

and oh, it's all city driving....

Adagio
24-05-2006, 07:30 AM
I live in the region Nickdowns has just travelled through. We wouldn't own a car here unless it had fog lights. Pity the Accord Euro Luxury does not have rear foglights even a Hyena Excel has them. Last consumption using, mostly BP Ultimate was 6.8L/100kms. Yes, wet cool weather does make a difference as it is denser and consequently carries more oxygen so you get more bang for your buck. This type of weather sends diesel cars/trucks in utter joy as we find with our Peugeot 405 diesel which, by the way, gets just under 6L/100 and has a 1.9 litre engine and 270,000 on the clock. That's very good but I am astounded with the Accord with its average of 6.95L/100km in identical driving conditions.
Adagio

Euro Ricko
24-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Im getting 6.7l/100k on a trip from Forbes to Wollongong, and use Vortex. I sometimes throw in Ultimate for the trip back but i do no better or worse.

EuroDude
24-05-2006, 09:07 AM
BP Ultimate 98RON = 9.4L average.
Others 98RON = ~10.3L average
Premium 95RON = ~10.xL/11.xL

primetimex
24-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Now running in my 06 Euro - the fuel consumption meter reads 10.8L - and the Euro's done 500k's now ..... filled up with Vortex lately and before that was Shell Premium Unleaded .....

YouRow
24-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Also, comment from other Auto Euro owners on city fuel consumption. Obviously the Auto is going to be worse, particularly in stop-go traffic but I have had figures for a tankful of up to 15l/100km. Since the first service this appears to have improved, and I know the car is still running in so things may improve slightly but OMG in traffic this car is a joke, may as well have a big aussie six! On the highway it is excellent. Drove 500km round trip when I first got the car and averaged 7l/100km which was fantastic. It's just like owning a car that has multi personality disorder I tell you.

Average consumption for life of car is down to 10l/100km. Typical driving has gone from 14-15l/100km down to 11-12l/100km. Typical driving meaning over a tankful I would do approx. 80-100 highway kms and the rest cold start city driving to work in traffic. I have done a couple of long highway trips which has brought the overall figure down. I still also find that the indicated economy in the trip computer is incorrect. EG trip computer will show say 10.8 when the actual is 11.5 or worse.

Mostly I put the poor economy down to running rich when cold - the average consumption increases by .5l in the first five minutes of driving, then stabilises even though the driving conditions do not change.

But as far as the figures I have seen almost all of you quote (bearing in mind mine's auto so obviously it'll be worse) mine never gets anywhere near them except on the open road. I am a very economical driver and I hardly ever get past 3500 rpm or plant my foot.

corn_flakes
24-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Average consumption for life of car is down to 10l/100km. Typical driving has gone from 14-15l/100km down to 11-12l/100km. Typical driving meaning over a tankful I would do approx. 80-100 highway kms and the rest cold start city driving to work in traffic. I have done a couple of long highway trips which has brought the overall figure down. I still also find that the indicated economy in the trip computer is incorrect. EG trip computer will show say 10.8 when the actual is 11.5 or worse.

Mostly I put the poor economy down to running rich when cold - the average consumption increases by .5l in the first five minutes of driving, then stabilises even though the driving conditions do not change.

But as far as the figures I have seen almost all of you quote (bearing in mind mine's auto so obviously it'll be worse) mine never gets anywhere near them except on the open road. I am a very economical driver and I hardly ever get past 3500 rpm or plant my foot.

that's really odd...i do 100% city driving with no highway kms at all...(manual trans)..

every morning mon-fri i do cold start driving for about 10-15mins driving my sis to the train station...

everything else is city driving to work, usually a 20km trip from home to the city...

and i am occasionally a lead foot driver...sometimes i just feel the urge to hear the engine rev to about 5000rpm in 2nd gear...i would say i do this about 4-5 times in my 20km trip to or home from the city...

worse i've ever done was approx 11.5L....this occurred once during the first 500kms of the car....2nd time was my last fuel tank of caltex 98 vortex...

my current tank of 98 vortex is at exactly 10.0L/100kms...averaged with half of the fuel tank used...

i'm going to pour bp ultimate the next few tanks and see again how my figures are...if consistent with my low 9's/100kms i'm gonna pour ultimate from now on...

bugger the 4c off per litre crap u get from shopping....works out to only be like $2 off per 50L anyway!

nickowns
24-05-2006, 01:40 PM
As for observation of BP vs mobil vs shell.

It's really weird, I find that if I constantly put in mobil 8000 or BP Ultiamte, I can avg 9.xL/100km, Shell optimax is only very little better than the 2 but if I mix Shell optimax with either BP or Mobil (about 50/50 portion), I seem to get a lot of more, consistently under 8.5L/100km, usually the low 8s.

Anyone else experience the same?

primetimex
24-05-2006, 01:58 PM
As for observation of BP vs mobil vs shell.

It's really weird, I find that if I constantly put in mobil 8000 or BP Ultiamte, I can avg 9.xL/100km, Shell optimax is only very little better than the 2 but if I mix Shell optimax with either BP or Mobil (about 50/50 portion), I seem to get a lot of more, consistently under 8.5L/100km, usually the low 8s.

Anyone else experience the same?

Maybe I'll try this - mix Optimax and Bp Ultimate 50/50 and see how I go

EuroDude
24-05-2006, 02:04 PM
hehe wander what happens if you mix 98RON with 90RON, will it effectively be 95RON at a cheaper price? :p

nickowns
24-05-2006, 02:39 PM
well I dont know what the mixing does, but I always thought the difference between the 3 fuels are that they put different additives into the fuel to make it 'distinct', so by mixing these, surely you can get a super combintion additive power lol, just a thought. Ultimmaxnergy.

EuroDude
24-05-2006, 03:45 PM
well I dont know what the mixing does, but I always thought the difference between the 3 fuels are that they put different additives into the fuel to make it 'distinct', so by mixing these, surely you can get a super combintion additive power lol, just a thought. Ultimmaxnergy.

Which is all good, unless the additives conflict with each other and cause an engine meltdown :p

MalGib
24-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Just my contribution on the topic of Euro fuel economy.

Euro manual 06 model. 6000km on the clock.
Running on mainly Caltex Vortex 95RON.
Usage normally 50:50 city to highway running.
Fuel consumption has been between 8.0 to 8.9 Lt/100km so far.
Overall average of 8.5Lts/100km.
Figures calculated from actual fuel refill volumes/kms and not from trip computer consumption (which always reads lower than actual).

I have run a few tanks of 98RON recently, but so far I have found this has not made any difference to fuel consumption at all. However, I have noticed that engine performance down low (1000 to 2500rpm) is much better. Today while coasting along with the traffic I pulled away in 3rd gear at 1200rpm ... it was so smooth and responsive! Normally I'd slip down to 2nd to avoid the engine labouring/shuddering, but it appears that running on 98RON has taken that problem away. Some improvement in low-down torque perhaps?

Havent noticed much of an improvement in performance at the upper end of the rev range yet.

YouRow
24-05-2006, 07:56 PM
that's really odd...i do 100% city driving with no highway kms at all...(manual trans)..

every morning mon-fri i do cold start driving for about 10-15mins driving my sis to the train station...

everything else is city driving to work, usually a 20km trip from home to the city...

and i am occasionally a lead foot driver...sometimes i just feel the urge to hear the engine rev to about 5000rpm in 2nd gear...i would say i do this about 4-5 times in my 20km trip to or home from the city...

worse i've ever done was approx 11.5L....this occurred once during the first 500kms of the car....2nd time was my last fuel tank of caltex 98 vortex...

my current tank of 98 vortex is at exactly 10.0L/100kms...averaged with half of the fuel tank used...

i'm going to pour bp ultimate the next few tanks and see again how my figures are...if consistent with my low 9's/100kms i'm gonna pour ultimate from now on...

bugger the 4c off per litre crap u get from shopping....works out to only be like $2 off per 50L anyway!

Mine's at 4300km total, this tank 100% city driving is 12l/100km... I only use Optimax, I used Ultimate once and got even worse consumption!! Normal trip to work is only 10km/20mins which is why I think it's so bad. Although when I drive a longer town trip, it's only slightly better. It has improved a lot, from 15l/100, so I only hope it gets better as the kilometres go by... Tonight from starting the car to going 100m up the road the avg consumption increased by 0.3l/100km!!

tanalasta
09-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Model: Euro Sport (automatic) 2006.
Mods: No non-factory mods. 17" Bridgestone Potenza's (stock) 32-33psi front/30-31psi rear (checked every 500hm so far / full tank refuel)

Kms: According to the trip computer: 650km at an average of 10.1L/km.
Mixture of 15km freeway + short trips.
Fuel: BP ultimate.

jamwyn
09-06-2006, 11:20 AM
TanaLasta: Your consumption I must say is very low. Most of the AutoTranny guys in here like me get 12L+/100km.

Whats your secret? Hammer it down often?

aaronng
09-06-2006, 11:45 AM
TanaLasta: Your consumption I must say is very low. Most of the AutoTranny guys in here like me get 12L+/100km.

Whats your secret? Hammer it down often?
There are probably fewer traffic lights in teh city over at WA. Melb city has traffic lights every 50m! LOL

jamwyn
09-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Nice one Aaron, have you tried doing a Hook-Turn in Melb? Apparently some interstate drivers are scratching the thought of driving in CBD becos of this.

IN sydney CBD, Bahh I shall not even bring that up!

primetimex
09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
There are probably fewer traffic lights in teh city over at WA. Melb city has traffic lights every 50m! LOL

Suffice to say that WA Perth still has plenty of open freeways and highways uncluttered by traffic lights except in some areas / suburbs like Fremantle

Otherwise it's pretty cruisy all the way around! :D

aaronng
09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Nice one Aaron, have you tried doing a Hook-Turn in Melb? Apparently some interstate drivers are scratching the thought of driving in CBD becos of this.

IN sydney CBD, Bahh I shall not even bring that up!
It's so easy though once someone explains. It's because interstate drivers have no idea how to do it. The first time we went down to melb, we ended up with lots of honking from the other drivers when we tried to do our own version of the hook turn. LOL. Now I know how to do it properly.

Go along the left, and stop there, not blocking your lane. Wait til the light turns yellow, then start turning. haha. So easy and fun.

My gf just came back from melb. She says it's so difficult to drive there. Haha, I want to see a melb driver try to drive around Sydney cbd. It would be so funny and scary! Hehehe.

EuroBro
16-06-2006, 09:03 PM
06 Euro Manual Lux drank 9.0L/100K for first 6000 clicks using HONDA oil only.

Lowest full tank avg consumption = 8.6
Hightest full tank avg consumption = 9.5 (heavy sydney traffic - makes me fang down back streets with satnav)

Omotesando
17-06-2006, 01:01 AM
It's so easy though once someone explains. It's because interstate drivers have no idea how to do it. The first time we went down to melb, we ended up with lots of honking from the other drivers when we tried to do our own version of the hook turn. LOL. Now I know how to do it properly.

Go along the left, and stop there, not blocking your lane. Wait til the light turns yellow, then start turning. haha. So easy and fun.

My gf just came back from melb. She says it's so difficult to drive there. Haha, I want to see a melb driver try to drive around Sydney cbd. It would be so funny and scary! Hehehe.

Hey... just want to tell u people that - in fact, u cannot legally turn until the traffic light of the direction u're turning towards become completely green!

If you start turning when the lights are yellow u can be caught, as my friend found out. Although what you said has some truth in it because most Melburnians get this part wrong and start turning when the original direction lights turn yellow! Sometimes if I wait too long so I do it 'properly' I even get the horn from behind, but who cares about them - I care about my wallet!

:o :( :o

Omotesando
17-06-2006, 03:48 AM
I just started using BP Ultimate 98 finally in my car.

Previously have used SHELL 96, SHELL Optimax 98, Vortex 96 (no 98 in Vic yet I think), Mobile Synergy 8000.

I think BP Ultimate runs smoother in the Accord Euro than the other fuels, and feels more zippy than Optimax 98 seat of the pants. Between BP Ultimate 98 and Mobile Synergy 98? The engine sound is diff. Not entirely sure which is better performance wise.

Fuel economy wise, all fuels were to me the same. I might get 20kph more out of Synergy 8000 but then again it could just be my right foot adjusting to the fuel price? :O

BiLL|z0r
17-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Does any1 know if you can get Synergy 8000 in QLD? Some ppl rave about it and I wanna try it but can't find it anywhere. The only premium Mobil have here is 95RON.

My consumption has slowly been getting better. Car is up to 20K km's and now make 500-550km's per tank city driving. Not bad for an Auto I thought. When I first got the car it was 400-420 or so. Mind you I did hit VTEC more often as it was a novelty. :)

G7G7
23-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Ive had my car for about a month now.
The first full fill I did- on crap 7Elevn normal pump unleaded I was amazed to get 680kms out of the tank. I did drive well into the warning light aswell. All city driving..
Im not really fussed what fuel I put in it.
My old S15 would get about 460kms-Always 98+ Octane booster.
Im happy with the milage from a heavier car.

aaronng
23-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Ive had my car for about a month now.
The first full fill I did- on crap 7Elevn normal pump unleaded I was amazed to get 680kms out of the tank. I did drive well into the warning light aswell. All city driving..
Im not really fussed what fuel I put in it.
My old S15 would get about 460kms-Always 98+ Octane booster.
Im happy with the milage from a heavier car.
The Euro is meant to run on at least 95 octane. So please put premium or 98 before your engine suffers anymore predetonation...

G7G7
23-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Ah so it does. 95+
Better do that now hey.
Still have a few bottles of octane booster to chuck in.:thumbsup:

aaronng
23-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Ah so it does. 95+
Better do that now hey.
Still have a few bottles of octane booster to chuck in.:thumbsup:
If you have 1/2 tank or less of 91 in there, you could fill up with 98. Or octane booster is good too (if you don't need it for your S15 that is). :thumbsup:

corn_flakes
23-06-2006, 04:04 PM
i converted back to BP ultimate after goin on optimax and vortex the last few fill ups....

and i'm finding my fuel consumption on ultimate quite consistent...running at 9.1-9.5L/100kms (100% city driving)...

on vortex and optimax i had +10.2L/100kms...

finding it quite weird though since other euro owners don't see the same result i do with ultimate...

must be my driving habits? :wave:

tknova
23-06-2006, 04:49 PM
If you have 1/2 tank or less of 91 in there, you could fill up with 98. Or octane booster is good too (if you don't need it for your S15 that is). :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be using octane booster all the time, it's no good for your plugs!

aaronng
23-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't be using octane booster all the time, it's no good for your plugs!
Well, it's just for this once since he has a tank of 91 in his Euro. :eek:

MalGib
24-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Anyone else noticing their Euros drinking more fuel in the colder winter weather? Starting off in the mornings can add +2Lts/100km to the average in just the first few kilometres of driving! I'm definately worse off by +1Lts/100km for each tankful since the weather turned cold about 4 to 6 weeks ago. Not doing anything different, still using the same fuel.

Atjo
24-06-2006, 11:04 PM
At which RPM we should change the gear to get better fuel consumption? I usually change the gear between 2500-3000RPM.

EuroDude
24-06-2006, 11:43 PM
At which RPM we should change the gear to get better fuel consumption? I usually change the gear between 2500-3000RPM.

In the Manual it tells you the optimal RPM to change gears.

Yeah I change at around 2500rpm, or rev up to 4000 and skip a gear. Sometimes I even rev 1st gear up to 5500rpm and dump it straight into 4th gear ;)
But going from 1st to fourth is a biatch, its virtually impossible to do it quickly without crunching.

But its not hard to judge for yourself. With a bit of trial and error, you get to know the cars abilities for determining the lowest RPM to shift at.

EuroDude
24-06-2006, 11:48 PM
MY06 6MT at 6000km~

Average = 9.4
Highway = 8.5
Traffic = 9.8
Lowest ever = 5.0 (6th gear @ 90km/h with full tank)

Fuel consumption has improved considerably since new (It was often doing 14.0L when new)

Adagio
25-06-2006, 09:17 AM

I think you are just about right on for economy driving, don't go below 2,500rpm to change up otherwise it puts too much strain on the transmission. The main issue is keeping a reasonably constant throttle on long hauls.Contrary to popular belief you can achieve better fuel consumption NOT using the cruise control on highway drives. Anticipating topography changes and gently increasing or decreasing the throttle will give better consumption than leaving it up to the cruise control which tends to react too late. Having said all this the Euro Accord demands to be driven so enjoy the responsiveness of this brilliant engine and Vtec for your own enjoyment regularly, what's a few dollars anyway:). I do not understand those who skip several gears by revving in a low gear then dropping it into a several gears higher just to save changing gears, seems to me an automatic should have been their choice.
Adagio

jamwyn
26-06-2006, 04:38 PM
14June06 - 26 June 06 = 10.28L/100km BP Ultimate

6 June-13June = 13.8L/100km Shell Optimax.

Oh Myy...... 1st time ever using Ultimate. Similar style of driving as well.

11.27L/100km - Average consumption of my Euro05-5AT since i bought her.

corn_flakes
26-06-2006, 05:25 PM
i love BP ultimate...

sorry, but my findings with the use of 98 oct ultimate are consistent every time...:)

EuroDude
26-06-2006, 06:16 PM
BP Ultimate is great for mine too - usually topping at around 9.8L consistantly.

But I used another brand last fill up (think it was Shell or Ampol 98) and half a tank later its still sitting around 10.8-11.3L.
Same driving style...

corn_flakes
26-06-2006, 06:35 PM
yep...exactly what i notice...

ampol is still alive these days? lol i haven't seen one of their servos around for ages...hahaha

petsfact
26-06-2006, 07:22 PM
how do you guys find out the usage? my car has no fuel reading / 100km :(

msnealo
26-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Trip/Fuel computer was introduced in the 06' model.

yfin
26-06-2006, 07:59 PM

do some math when you fill it up.

EuroBro
26-06-2006, 10:14 PM

To calc consumption accurately:

1. Place fuel bowser nozzle in the tank hole and take note of the notch position. (notches are under the 'neck' of the nozzle) and fill until bowser clicks and stops.

2. Before driving off - reset the trip counter by pushing in the button near your speedo.

3. Next time you fill up, make sure you repeat step 1, and make sure you place the nozzle at the same notch. After you stop then do the simple math. eg. If you put in 48.4 litres and the odometer says 440 klms then you have been doing 11L / 100klms.

Here is the formula: Consumption Rate = (Total Refiled Litres / Klms Travelled) * 100

Don't forget when you fill to the top - to reset your trip-meter

turbo56k
15-07-2006, 08:35 AM
My Euro MY06 5AT has clocked about 800km. Drinking 12.8L/100 on caltex 98 and bp ultimate.

That 's such a high volume considering I don't drive too hard, typical gear change from 2500 - 3000 rpm and no hard breaking. I mostly drive on suburb roads.

can anyone share some insights. is this high comsumption due to non breakin???? or because suburb roads?

yfin
15-07-2006, 08:43 AM
My Euro MY06 5AT has clocked about 800km. Drinking 12.8L/100 on caltex 98 and bp ultimate.

That 's such a high volume considering I don't drive too hard, typical gear change from 2500 - 3000 rpm and no hard breaking. I mostly drive on suburb roads.

can anyone share some insights. is this high comsumption due to non breakin???? or because suburb roads?
800kims is very early days. That said, I have been following this thread and the auto Euro seems to have remarkably high consumption in the city. Not very good at all compared to the 6MT - even when the 6MT is pushed hard it is tough to get 12l/100.

On the freeways both cars should be quite similar due to the gearing on the auto.

Adagio
15-07-2006, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=turbo56k]My Euro MY06 5AT has clocked about 800km. Drinking 12.8L/100 on caltex 98 and bp ultimate.

At around the same kms I was getting 8.02 L/100kms. I drive a Euro Lux manual. Riight now I am at 20,000kms and averaging 7.52L/100kms in mostly country driving at 100kmh + AND I do Vtec frequently. Eurobro's fill up formula is excellent and to make it even easier when calculating just delete the decimal point from the litres used and divide by the kms travelled. I do think to give real indication of consumption you should average say, 4 fill ups. Those Honda diesels are looking more attractive each day as I watch fuel prices rise. I reckon the Accord Diesel would achieve at least 6L/100 kms. Our old Peugeot 405 diesel does this regularly.
Adagio

corn_flakes
15-07-2006, 10:21 AM
800kims is very early days. That said, I have been following this thread and the auto Euro seems to have remarkably high consumption in the city. Not very good at all compared to the 6MT - even when the 6MT is pushed hard it is tough to get 12l/100.

On the freeways both cars should be quite similar due to the gearing on the auto.

that's why i hate auto cars...crap fuel consumption, and a gearbox that can't make up it's mind...

but yeh...i've got a manual 06 euro...and in the first 1000kms, i used to get shit fuel consumption too...

about 11.5-12L/100kms...

and nowdays i get about 9.5 on BP ultimate, 10.5 on optimax or vortex...

and that's 100% city driving, and i do hit 6000rpm multiple times everytime i drive...

YouRow
15-07-2006, 05:02 PM

Agreed. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the auto is a very different animal city v highway. I'm at 5500km and with 100% city driving over the life of a tank I get 12l/100km. On the highway I easily get 6l/100km. What intruiges me is the city figures have improved with time, but the highway figures have remained constant (I got 6-7l/100 the first weekend I picked up the car).

petsfact
15-07-2006, 05:06 PM
don't know how to count that, but i drive 65km daily for 7 full days and have more than half tank left.

Everytime put in bp ultimate on Tuesday for 45 dollars the most 49 weekly and fuel is like puking out of it's neck.

can anyone work this out for me? :)

BiLL|z0r
15-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Agreed. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the auto is a very different animal city v highway. I'm at 5500km and with 100% city driving over the life of a tank I get 12l/100km. On the highway I easily get 6l/100km. What intruiges me is the city figures have improved with time, but the highway figures have remained constant (I got 6-7l/100 the first weekend I picked up the car).

I've found the same thing with my auto Euro. When I first got it I'd get about 450km's (or less). These days around town I get 540-560km's. I've got just over 20,000km's on mine so far. Highway driving economy has always been excellent. I must admit I don't hit the higher revs as often but still do it enough to blow the cob webs out :)

^__^ SM ^__^
15-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi. Im driving 06 Euro Auto. I do ONLY city driving with no highways. Trips through Melb CBD etc. I get 11 - 11.5L/100km. I got 1080km on the clock. Been only running on Optimax since new.

I tend to rev my car up to 4000rpm max and let it build speed gradually. hope that helps. :)

yfin
16-07-2006, 12:03 AM
This will make people who mod the 6MT feel better and justify the cost of rims,etc.

Given average 20,000 kms travelled per year the auto euro in the city uses about $550 per year more fuel than the 6MT (say avg 12 vs 10l/100)

Hmmm, over 5 years that is almost $3000 in mods you have got for free.. :D So next time your wife, partner etc hassles you about spending more money on the Euro - just tell them it is basically free compared to buying the auto.. hehe. Weird way of looking at things but it works for me..

EuroDude
16-07-2006, 01:06 AM
True true, plus the manual is quicker and a gearbox recondition is much cheaper, and the euros triple synchros give you silky smooth gear shifts, so its all good :)

By the way, I tested a tank of Caltex 98RON and its actually more efficient than BP Ultimage :thumbsup: 9.7L/100km vs 9.2L/100km

corn_flakes
16-07-2006, 02:33 AM
True true, plus the manual is quicker and a gearbox recondition is much cheaper, and the euros triple synchros give you silky smooth gear shifts, so its all good :)

By the way, I tested a tank of Caltex 98RON and its actually more efficient than BP Ultimage :thumbsup: 9.7L/100km vs 9.2L/100km

hmm...that's weird, i alwayys get crapper results with caltex 98 vortex...

keep trying...and keep teh same driving habits, and places u drive to - makes a big difference whether u're heading to work 20kms away or heading to the local shops...

benthx
04-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey Guys

A few days ago I fill up my euro till the first click of the pump 95ron. Since then I have traveled 225km and the needle is just a bit before showing 1/4 tank used. How accurate is the fuel tank needle? If you do the math near to or on registering orange light(and I think there is about 10litres in reserve). This is going to equate to generous distance.:eek: :eek:

I have given it some real juice about four times during the km so far.

Ben

aaronng
05-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey Guys

A few days ago I fill up my euro till the first click of the pump 95ron. Since then I have traveled 225km and the needle is just a bit before showing 1/4 tank used. How accurate is the fuel tank needle? If you do the math near to or on registering orange light(and I think there is about 10litres in reserve). This is going to equate to generous distance.:eek: :eek:

I have given it some real juice about four times during the km so far.

Ben
From the click to the first bar, it's about 100km on my car. Then each 1/4 is another 100km. Then the light comes on and it's about another 80km. I haven't dared run the car til dry.

Omotesando
05-08-2006, 01:34 AM
I just put in two tanks of Optimax Extreme 100Ron as a test finally.

I actually did notice the car to pick up some tiny extra power, although I kind of expected this, as its possibly running slightly leaner on Wide Open Throttle in the short term, until the computer readjusts back to normal for the longer run.

As for mileage - it is actually worst.

Being a slightly lower density fuel diluted by ethanol, on calculations of cruise mode air fuel ratio, I would expect mileage to drop around 15-20kms per tank. I think in my case it dropped around 20kms when the yellow light came on even only with two tanks. In the longer run if the ECU does adjust for the Full Throttle fuel maps as well (??), I would expect mileage might even drop more!

Will I use it again? In Victoria, it is actually 17C more than regular Unleaded, which is 7Cents more than Optimax 98.

I think I'll revert and stick to Mobil Synergy 8000... best overall power output, torque, price, etc. To me anyway, don't take my word for it. I'm missing my G-Tech 'G-force' accelerometer to test in gear max. accelerative g-forces.. :O

curik
05-08-2006, 01:39 AM
19" heavy ass rims + tyres + injen CAI on manual 04 lux with BP ultimate, 14000km, havent changed oil since 7000km yet. 12-13l/100km! 10%highway 90% melbourne CBD. You guys know how bad traffic in the CBD is. 50km/h limit and traffic lights every 100 m or so. Looks like I'm the V6 consumption territory/

Adagio
05-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Attention Benthx: How accurate is the fuel tank needle?

Forget trying to work out your fuel consumption by looking at the fuel gauge needle. The only "practical" way for us is to fill up about four times and take an average. All the info on how to do this is on this thread or similar thread.
Adagio

EuroDude
05-08-2006, 01:12 PM
hms aside from BP Ultimate, another good fuel thats just as efficient is Caltex Vortex, giving ~8.5->9.4 consumption :thumbsup:

Ampol fuel is still the worst, constantly giving 10.0+ consumption :thumbdwn:

BiLL|z0r
05-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Ampol is owned by Caltex though but they don't have a 98ron fuel I beleive as Caltex does.

EuroDude
05-08-2006, 07:31 PM
lol didnt know Caltex owns Ampol, did Caltex buy them out or something?

I believe Ampol "8000" is their 98RON fuel. 6000 is their 95RON fuel. (If I remember correctly)

euro77
06-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Lately I've been using 95 ron fuel, I can't feel any difference with 98 ron fuel in terms of power delivery and mileage.

Also on another note (I hope this is not OT), some people suggests using Hi-Clone to improve mileage. I tried it (I know... you might say I'm an idiot), but to my surprise, it did improve my mileage, although not a lot. I'm usually running around 11L/100km, but since I used it, it goes down to around 10.5L/100km. Not a lot of course. There seems to be a test done in US that confirms they have no affect. http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars_trucks/1802932.html

Omotesando
06-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Why u not driving the Euro anymore? :O

I think A Current Affair or similar program here, have tested the HiClone before. It showed a positive result actually but they concluded the effect was minimal, although measureable. At least its not a complete rip-off like the Fuel Polarisers, which were tested at same time and did not have any result.

Personally I've used HiClone before in a 1.8L Lancer. Couldn't really see any differences in power or economy... but might have? Don't know!

tanalasta
06-08-2006, 02:51 AM
After doing almost 5000km on my Euro Sport (AT)

Everyday driving - 80% freeway - 9.1 to 9.5L/100km
"Spirited" mix of stop/start traffic and 30-40% freeway - 10.1L/100km (approx)

Country driving at an average of 120km/h on some hilly roads - 9.5-10.0L/100km

Filled up only with BP ultimate since Day 1 with the car. So that's >4500km worth of BP ultimate :P

I've found the trip computer to be quite accurate.

falco
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I have done 70000k on my 03 Accord Euro Luxury (Auto)

And; I too have a spreadsheet with Fuel Consumption

After 127 tank refills my average is 8.3l per 100k.
20% driving is city and 80% is at 110k with cruise control on.
No difference between 95RON or 98RON

Best ever is around 7.2l per 100k :wave:

MiSloVic
06-08-2006, 10:19 PM
maybe its me, but with RON98, the euro is quieter and smoother. but 98 seems to harm fuel consumption a bit, though.

has anyone use E10 fuel before? the dealer said it is ok for E10 fuel.

BiLL|z0r
08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I use E10 fuel all the time and it's fine, just use the E10 98RON stuff as E10 95RON seems to drastically effect fuel consumption (approx 100km's less per tank) and throttle response isn't as good. With my 4c/ltr off docket and reduced cost of E10 fuel I get E10 98RON for cheaper than 95RON normal fuel which saves me heaps as I drive my car for a living.

Adagio
08-08-2006, 08:49 AM
That's very interesting.Have you or can you do a comparison over say 4 fill ups? It would be great to be able to be absolutely sure that 98 RON is at least as cheap to use as 95. Only weeks away from $2.00 a litre as I figure it now that BP have closed down their Alaska refinery for major repairs and Iran is threatening to shut off their oil.
Adagio

BiLL|z0r
08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I used E10 95 over about 10 tanks and only ever got in the 400km's per tank. I then switch to E10 98RON and get 530+ every tank. I haven't changed my driving style or where I drive. I mainly do city driving. I've used BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax every now and again and get about the same as E10 98.

Omotesando
08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I used E10 95 over about 10 tanks and only ever got in the 400km's per tank. I then switch to E10 98RON and get 530+ every tank. I haven't changed my driving style or where I drive. I mainly do city driving. I've used BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax every now and again and get about the same as E10 98.

What brand is the E10 98RON you're using?
I'm not sure I've seen this in Victoria. :O

All I know is using Shell Optimax Extreme (E5) with 100Ron, got slightly more power (placebo effect?) but very definitely lost around 20km per tank easily.
I don't mind using E5-E10 98RON if we have it here I guess as long as the price is relatively good.

96Ron vs 98Ron normal fuel - no discernible difference in fuel economy to me at all but there should be some. Power wise, now that car has run in, 98Ron seems to work better than 96Ron on my Euro Accord albeit not much.

BiLL|z0r
08-08-2006, 07:26 PM
What brand is the E10 98RON you're using?
I'm not sure I've seen this in Victoria. :O

The servo is called IFS (Independent Fuel Supplies). Also go by the the name of SEQldFS (South-East Qld Fuel Supplies). On the bowser they say they use Caltex fuels but I haven't seen any Caltex servo's that use Ethanol fuels up here. Check some your independent servo's down that way and some might have it. Shell is the only big named servo that uses Ethanol fuels that I know of and that's only E5 and 100ron (and a rip off).

MiSloVic
08-08-2006, 08:26 PM
in VIC, you can get E10 from United Petrol stations. their 'PLUS' range of 95 and 98 fuels contains 10% ethanol.

I've similar observations as well, eith E10Ron95 petrol, the car is quite sluggish. less power than the normal ron95.

Omotesando
08-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks BILLzOR and MiSloVic..

I have a United Petrol station quite close but just haven't used it. I'll give it a try. Hope it won't eat away my fuel lines :) Shell Extreme 100 is a complete rip-off, agreeeeee.

Type R Positive
08-08-2006, 11:10 PM
maybe its me, but with RON98, the euro is quieter and smoother. but 98 seems to harm fuel consumption a bit, though.

has anyone use E10 fuel before? the dealer said it is ok for E10 fuel.
I would never use an ethanol blended fuel.

My euro ran a bit better on 98 than 95. I think it was due to higher quality of fuel rather than ron.

EuroDude
09-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Shell Extreme 100 is more expensive than 98RON yeah? Shouldnt it be cheaper than 98RON since it has Ethanol in it?

Seems like Shell are taking us for a ride :eek:

BiLL|z0r
09-08-2006, 12:57 PM
You hit it on the head and that's why I refuse to buy it. The IFS 95RON E10 fuels are 2c/ltr cheaper than normal 91RON fuel which is the way it's meant to be.

MiSloVic
09-08-2006, 08:07 PM
yup.. ethanol is meant to lower fuel cost..
but shell used it to riase RON level as a marketing weapon.

Omotesando
10-08-2006, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't mind using the Shell Optimax Extreme 100RON if it was only 10c above normal 95 premium unleaded.

But its a massive 17c hike on top. As everyone noted, ethanol is cheaper, less dense, less mileage. But higher Octane (which also drops quicker).

There's actually one fuel I have never used yet but I should try, and that is the Mobil Synergy 6000 (96 Ron). I wonder if I'm wasting money using the 98Ron 8000!

EuroAccord13
19-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Update, consumption improvement

Model: Euro 6Spd Manual
Mods that could impact consumption: VAFCii, K&N Typhoon CAI, ZORST, Tyres, Rims
Kms: 48,500kms
Highway kms = 280++ Kms
City Kms = 120+km

Used 31 Litres to travel 410 Kms

Average Consumption over this period: 7.56L

EuroDude
19-08-2006, 04:27 PM
lol my euro hates 95RON fuel (tried Caltex this time), I used high gears and everything, the best I could get is 9.8L/100km (avg 10.5L/100km). Plus I definetely noticed a bit of a performance drop.
Just filled up with Vortex 98 yesterday, easily got it down to 8.6L/100km on suburban roads. (avg 9.2L/100km, and 6.5L/100km on the freeway@100km/h in 6th).

No more 95RON for me...

tanalasta
19-08-2006, 06:12 PM
*laughs* I've filled up with BP ultimate since day-one from the dealer and my dealer still thought charging $15 for fuel-injector cleaner was kocher. Bastard.

So either BP ultimate doens't burn that clean or the dealer's full of crock.

Getting more 10.0L per 100km with a mix of peak-hour and non-peak traffic. I think they may have slightly overfilled my oil at my 5000km service which may also impart some higher fuel consumption levels?

Adagio
20-08-2006, 12:10 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere in the owner's manual not to put any additives in the fuel. Your dealer is just getting a nice mark up on the fuel additive IF he put it in? BP guarantee the cleanliness of their fuel.
Adagio

msnealo
20-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm the same as you Eurodude. I tried Caltex 95RON for three tanks and all three were in the 11's. Apart from those three tanks for the other 15000klm's I've used Mobil Synergy 8000 and my average is 10l/100klm. It's an auto as well.

EuroDude
20-08-2006, 04:21 PM
hms not a fan of Mobil Synergy 8000, it gives me bad fuel consumption compared to the other 98RON brands (bp+caltex).

jamwyn
21-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Quick update for the Auto Tranny users as well.

Last fill up i managed 7.6L/100km and the one before that was 8.5L/100km. ULtimate is so much better.

Went to the airport 4 times so maybe thats why.

Stop Go traffic when i was using Optimax was piss weak at 12.9L/100km even.

BiLL|z0r
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Bump: Synergy 8000 is now available on the Gold Coast. I filled up with a tank a couple weeks ago and found it the crappest 98RON fuel out there. Fuel economy was down about 40-50km's per tank, power delivery was down and vtec made a really odd noise. Back to BP/IFS for me. I filled up with 95RON BP the tank after and it's back to normal.

tony1234
10-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Does anyone here know if any brand of the 98 fuels available is better than the others?EG.I've heard that optimax is 95 with octane booster!!!I've also been told always buy petrol from high volume service stations on main roads.Would apreciate any input on this.

Eurotony
10-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Last tank on Shell Optimax 698km's x 51 litres = 7.30 litres per 100km's
MY04 auto luxury no mods other than Mobil 1 10w - 30 fully synthetic oil:thumbsup:

BiLL|z0r
10-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Mostly highway driving tony?

Eurotony
10-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Mostly highway driving tony?
Yes it was mostly Highway, trip to the Gold Coast & the Sunshine Coast from the same tank.
EuroTony

tony1234
10-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Yes it was mostly Highway, trip to the Gold Coast & the Sunshine Coast from the same tank.
EuroTony
I've heard you can get as low as 6.5l/100kms.(man.hwy driving,100kph easy on throttle)!!!!:thumbsup:

BiLL|z0r
10-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Yer, I've gotten 850km's from 95% highway driving and easy driving when not on highway. Would have gotten more if didn't vtec so many trucks :)

aaronng
10-09-2006, 07:17 PM
EG.I've heard that optimax is 95 with octane booster!!!
Fake. Not true.

I do prefer Vortex98. Try it to believe it. The engine runs much smoother than with Optimax.

BiLL|z0r
10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
That's the next fuel to try on my list. Not many Caltex have it here though (we don't have that many Caltex anyway on the Goldy).

tony1234
10-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Fake. Not true.

I do prefer Vortex98. Try it to believe it. The engine runs much smoother than with Optimax.
That's my fuel of choice(vortex).Mobil 8000 and ultimate seem to also be good.

tony1234
10-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Yer, I've gotten 850km's from 95% highway driving and easy driving when not on highway. Would have gotten more if didn't vtec so many trucks :)
How good is that!!!In an auto as well!!!!

Omotesando
10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Seems like everyone is different with their experience....
I have used all fuels now, except Caltex Vortex 98 (non in Vic?) and some E10 blends suggested here.

I use Mobile Synergy 8000 without fail these days. More power, and economy is the same.

Honestly I NEVER noticed any fuel economy difference between any of the 98 fuels. Even using 95-96 fuels (Vortex 96, Shell 96, Mobile Synergy 6000 96) I didn't seem to get less economy.!!

The only fuel I used which saw a drop in economy was Optimax Extreme 100 and even then its only around 20kms which could have been normal variation.

It is not good to try only one tank of any fuel and make a conclusion as well, it does change a lot by the 2nd tank. So for everytime I experiment with fuel I actually at least use that fuel for 3-4 tanks ;-)

Mobile Synergy 8000 for me :) I can't pick between BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax though, although BP Ultimate smells better kind of like Perigord Truffle Oil!

stephen8512
10-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Mobil Synergy 8000 or BP Ultimate for me...

EuroDude
11-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Does anyone here know if any brand of the 98 fuels available is better than the others?

Caltex 98RON and BP Ultimate are by far the best, pretty much equal :thumbsup:

The others give worse efficiency :thumbdwn:

tony1234
11-09-2006, 07:26 PM

Thanks Eurodude,i thought as much.i mainly use Caltex 98.;)

Omotesando
11-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Just wanted to say I found out Victoria finally has some Vortex 98 Ron at some specific stations.

Will be trying that out soon :)

EuroBro
13-09-2006, 09:19 PM

I have only used Vortex 98 and averaged 9.0 L/100 in the first 13000kms. I tend to do average shifts of 4500 rpm with 3/4 throttle and push 7000 rpm at least once per every 100kms (thats 5 times per tank refill @ 500 kms). ;)

PS.. I reckon I do about 60% stop start driving and rest is cruisy 70-80km/h

I've also found that short shifting a MT gives you great fuel economy.

EuroDude
14-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Actually ive recently found that Ampol Gold is even better than BP and Vortex, the efficiency is avg 9.4L compared to avg 9.6L+, and thats with spirited driving. Its only the first tank so need to fill up a couple more times to be sure.

MiSloVic
15-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Actually ive recently found that Ampol Gold is even better than BP and Vortex, the efficiency is avg 9.4L compared to avg 9.6L+, and thats with spirited driving. Its only the first tank so need to fill up a couple more times to be sure.

Have a feeling Ampol is getting their fuels from Mobil? :confused:

btchia
17-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Last tank on Shell Optimax 698km's x 51 litres = 7.30 litres per 100km's
MY04 auto luxury no mods other than Mobil 1 10w - 30 fully synthetic oil:thumbsup:

I have done Shell optimax 680km x 55 lt, 400km on highway avg 110km/hr , 100km mountain drive with frequent high rev, and the rest in city drive, so it quite efficient.....:thumbsup:

Adagio
18-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Just did an economy check using BP Ultimate over 271 kms at mostly 117kmh from BP Marulan/Canberra/BP Marulan.We achieved 6.86 litres per 100kms. Never got past 5,000rpm and mostly held rpm at 3,000 using cruise control. Overall my Euro is happiest on BP Ultimate.
Adagio

ZYL11A
18-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Im struggling with mine, the most I get is 450 km's to a tank running optimax. Auto trans, 19" wheels. Possibly the weight of the wheels contributing to the shocking fuel economy????

aaronng
18-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Im struggling with mine, the most I get is 450 km's to a tank running optimax. Auto trans, 19" wheels. Possibly the weight of the wheels contributing to the shocking fuel economy????
Have you measured the weight of your 19" rim+tyre?

btchia
18-09-2006, 05:46 PM

i think your rims too heavy...plus it will slow down your the car as well.
17 inchs good enough, espeacially using light weight rims....:thumbsup:

yfin
19-09-2006, 02:06 AM

450km to the low fuel light or to empty? I find this thread a bit confusing sometimes as some people calculate the fuel consumption properly - others just look at the fuel guage at low light.

Adagio
19-09-2006, 07:41 AM

I must be out of step with fashion. I just don't understand why you put on huge wheels, it can't be for grip as the Euro has fantastic grip on OEM tyres. 17s are just fine so the change to 19s must be for the look you wanted for you certainly wont be getting enhanced performance. Surely these 19s would affect the handling and not for the better. From my point of view Honda spends millions developing a car to the point where it has almost nil faults then we start trying to improve it with, often, lower grade products or at the least, in many cases, unsuitable ones. :(
Adagio

tony1234
19-09-2006, 08:50 AM
I must be out of step with fashion. I just don't understand why you put on huge wheels, it can't be for grip as the Euro has fantastic grip on OEM tyres. 17s are just fine so the change to 19s must be for the look you wanted for you certainly wont be getting enhanced performance. Surely these 19s would affect the handling and not for the better. From my point of view Honda spends millions developing a car to the point where it has almost nil faults then we start trying to improve it with, often, lower grade products or at the least, in many cases, unsuitable ones. :(
Adagio
I agree.Instead spend your money on good suspension mods and change the OEM tyres.I've done both of these and i think it was money well spent.:D

yfin
19-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Heavy rims might make a couple of percent difference in fuel consumption but not enough to decrease economy to 450kms to a 65 litre tank! I have driven on long trips with a car full of people and the fuel economy was only a little worse on the highway compared to just me in the car.

I think ZYL11a needs to clairfy how many litres were used for that 450kms.

ZYL11A
22-09-2006, 01:59 PM
450km to the low fuel light or to empty? I find this thread a bit confusing sometimes as some people calculate the fuel consumption properly - others just look at the fuel guage at low light.

To the low fuel light

aaronng
22-09-2006, 02:34 PM
To the low fuel light
Not good enough. Next time, refill to the top at the fuel pump and record the number of litres and distance travelled. :thumbsup:

yfin
22-09-2006, 04:46 PM
To the low fuel light

Ok - as Aarong said measure it by litres not the fuel guage - fill up to the top and then reset the trip. Then calculate consumption based on how many kms travelled vs how many litres the next fill is.

If you are getting 450kms to low light that is around 11.5-12 litres per 100kms which around town is not abnormal for an automatic. But measure it properly and report back.

Chris_F
22-09-2006, 05:42 PM
My girlfriend's been driving my car lately and she went through one tank (about half and half city/highway) and got about 700km in before the next fill.

With conservative driving the euro should be very frugal - hell my figure is with I/H/E

hotout
22-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Not good enough. Next time, refill to the top at the fuel pump and record the number of litres and distance travelled. :thumbsup:

and also try to use the same pump, diff pumps will fill to different levels. :wave:

yfin
22-09-2006, 11:48 PM
and also try to use the same pump, diff pumps will fill to different levels. :wave:

You can't rely on the pump cut out even on the same pump. When the nozzle clicks there can be lots of room left in the tank and it will vary each time you fill even with the same pump (eg depending on where you hold the nozzle influences the cut out too). I pull the nozzle out towards the end and pump slowly - you can see where the fuel is. Just be careful not to fill right to the top (ie almost coming out) as with heat expansion as you drive away it can overflow.

tony1234
23-09-2006, 07:41 AM
I think the easiest way to check your fuel consumption is to fill up to the first click of the fuel pump,set trip meter to zero,drive the car till the low fuel light comes on(it says in the manual there is approx.10 ltrs. left), when full manual states there is approx.65 ltrs.Therefore you should have used 55 ltrs.As soon as low fuel light comes on note the dist. travelled then divide this by 55.

Adagio
23-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I think the easiest way to check your fuel consumption is to fill up to the first click of the fuel pump,set trip meter to zero,drive the car till the low fuel light comes on(it says in the manual there is approx.10 ltrs. left), when full manual states there is approx.65 ltrs.Therefore you should have used 55 ltrs.As soon as low fuel light comes on note the dist. travelled then divide this by 55.

The most reliable way is, as tony1234 says, fill up to the first click. NOW zero your B trip meter and anytime you want to fill up again just note the kms on the B trip meter write it down with the litres used. Now, ignoring the decimal point from the litres used, divide this figure by the distance travelled. Doing this once gives you a pretty good idea of your fuel consumption but taking an average over 4 fills gives you a very accurate indication and diminishes the variance caused by different pumps.
Adagio

corn_flakes
23-09-2006, 11:47 AM
the euro has some pretty good fuel consumption...

first off, don't be fooled by the euro's trip computer...it's not accurate...use the above methods suggested by the other members...there's usually about a 1L difference in fuel economy readings...lol

but yeh, everytime i get into my car, i redline at least once...i do 100% city driving with a mixture of short distances (2km trip to the train station and back), and the longest distance being 20km one way to the city for work...

and with this i get about 10-11L/100kms...

if you really want to be conservative with fuel, don't go WOT...it makes a big difference....

try not to accelerate when not really needed...example approaching a red light - does ur foot still need to be on the gas? momentum will get u there fine...

USE the momentum on the car...instead of getting to the lights quickly and stopping, take ur time slowing down, try to keep your car rolling...

with momentum, shifting into 2nd gear rolling (rather than starting from 1st gear again) saves alot of petrol IMO...

:)

YouRow
11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Had 20k/1 year (Ive only done 10k though...) service this week.

06 5AT standard btw.

Filled up with Vortex 98 for the first time (always use shell or bp) and drove back from the Gold Coast to Brisbane.

Previously I've got about 6.8-7.2l/100km on the highway on various trips.

This time, 5.6l/100km!!! This was with the aircon off, but that's insane.

I could not believe it. I didnt even pump my tires up LOL.

I hope this translates at least in part to my usual city driving. I've only gotten about 12.5l/100km since the car was new in city driving.

Adagio
11-03-2007, 02:54 PM
You Row it might be worth repeating that run to be absolutely sure as those figures are better than a diesel car of around 2 litres. Usually diesel gets 1/3 more out of their fuel.

yfin
11-03-2007, 03:09 PM
The Honda New Zealand web site has some good additional fuel consumption figures worth noting. Low 6s on the highway are definately achievable.

http://www.honda.co.nz/site/environ/index_fuel_consumption.html

Hondas in NZ have this sort of labelling (this is from the Civic Hybrid). On the Auckland-Taupo-Auckland test the Euro got 6.49 in the manual and 6.53 in the Auto. I still can't believe they get a Mugen model from Honda there.

http://www.honda.co.nz/site/environ/images/FELabel.jpg

Merlin086
11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Opposite of what I just found.
Just did a run to Sydney and back from the Gold Coast using Vortex 95 on the way returning 7.0L/100k, but the return trip used Vortex 98 and only did 7.6L/100k.
Both runs had the same load, driver only, no aircon.

All I can think of is the return trip was uphill..........lol

YouRow
11-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok so you guys are saying you don't believe me.
If only I could take a photo to show you.
I will point out that the trip was along the M1 at 100-110km/hr then 80km/hr for the last few kms and that I did no overtaking and had an average speed of 96km/hr. There are few if any hills on this route and with four lanes the whole way there is pretty much no need to brake or overtake.

yfin
11-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Ok so you guys are saying you don't believe me.
If only I could take a photo to show you.
I will point out that the trip was along the M1 at 100-110km/hr then 80km/hr for the last few kms and that I did no overtaking and had an average speed of 96km/hr. There are few if any hills on this route and with four lanes the whole way there is pretty much no need to brake or overtake.

I didn't say I don't believe you. Did you achieve that figure over the whole tank or just Gold Coast to Brisbane? It really isn't a long way though is it? I remember that drive being well under 100kms.

Try and get under 6 over a full tank - that would be impressive.

YouRow
11-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Not over the whole tank, just GC to Brisbane. The trip I did involved about 100kms and the ambient temperature was about 30 degrees which was also interesting.

Previously I've done Brisbane to Hervey Bay return and got 6.8l/100km with the air-conditioning on the whole way. That trip also included some fun winding bends and hills between Kingaroy and Maryborough at 80-100km/hr. I refilled the tank at 730kms.

What I'm saying is that the conditions you drive in play a massive part in consumption. I have read comments on this forum of people who claim the difference just in air-con on or off is up to 1l/100km. Now the trip I did from GC to Brisbane is basically ideal conditions so by my calculations its entirely plausible to repeat this kind of consumption.

When I get the chance I will hopefully be able to repeat the test and will let you know how I go.

aaronng
11-03-2007, 04:30 PM
You Row it might be worth repeating that run to be absolutely sure as those figures are better than a diesel car of around 2 litres. Usually diesel gets 1/3 more out of their fuel.
I believe him. I got 6.5L/100km with the aircon on all the way when I drove from Melb to Sydney. And that was including a few redline runs to keep the engine happy. Mine being a manual would have shorter gear ratios than his auto too.

aaronng
11-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Not over the whole tank, just GC to Brisbane. The trip I did involved about 100kms and the ambient temperature was about 30 degrees which was also interesting.

Although I believe your numbers, don't rely on the fuel consumption meter alone as it is pretty optimistic. Instead, calculate by filling up to a full tank and dividing the number of litres put in by the hundreds on kms driven.

YouRow
11-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Too true re manually working it out. The figures I quoted for the other trips like hervey bay were all worked out by refilling at the end and doing the math. I will check when I next fill up how it compares to the reading (wont be able to fill at the same servo pump though).

The other thing I was going to mention is the day I picked up the car new I drove from the dealership to Toowoomba and back the next day. The car averaged 7.2l/100km (with a mid trip low of 6.9) with the air-con on. Now with 10000km on the clock I would expect the consumption to have improved.

Didn't quite expect it to be this good but who's complaining?

aaronng
11-03-2007, 05:07 PM
It is that good. :)

But, you ran your engine in on the highway!?

YouRow
11-03-2007, 05:14 PM

Adagio you are correct in saying diesels can be very economical and are in general much better than a petrol Euro. The world record is held by a Peugeot 307 that got something like 3.5l/100km!!! Driving around Australia.

I'm hardly challenging any records here. As I said my consumption was achieved driving in a straight line on a flat smooth road at a constant speed.

Vehicles like the 307 are able to do it in a variety of conditions, mainly thanks to the torque at low revs they have. They deal with hills a lot better than the Euro when crusing at 100km/hr.

Either way, I'm tempted to plan a run of my own (not quite round Australia) perhaps Brisbane to Sydney or something.

aaronng
11-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Either way, I'm tempted to plan a run of my own (not quite round Australia) perhaps Brisbane to Sydney or something.

I'll be doing a Sydney to Melb run next week. This time, I won't fang the car and just cruise at 110km/h all the way. Will update with my consumption numbers.

yfin
11-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Some more NZ testing of the Euro here:

http://www.aa.co.nz/Section?Action=View&Section_id=612

I really like this excel spreadsheet as it compares the car to others in that "rally". The test is broken up into legs and the totall distance is about 1600km.

http://www.aa.co.nz/ewr/EWRResults2004.xls

YouRow
11-03-2007, 05:29 PM
It is that good. :)

But, you ran your engine in on the highway!?

Yeah I did partly. I varied the load and the speed and the revs. In the country there is no-one around to annoy. The first 60kms was city driving at lower speeds the day before (I took it back to the dealership to get the rear spoiler put on as it wasnt ready the Friday afternoon I picked the car up).

The rest of the first 1000kms were probably 90% city driving. I don't believe in the running in process being some sort of science. Fair enough you alternate the speed, gears, throttle use and generally encourage the engine to rev up and down reasonably. But for me the main thing is to not thrash the car and be gentle on the brakes etc while theyre wearing in.

At the end of the day I can't see what the difference is providing you dont thrash the car.

YouRow
11-03-2007, 05:30 PM
I'll be doing a Sydney to Melb run next week. This time, I won't fang the car and just cruise at 110km/h all the way. Will update with my consumption numbers.

Awesome, look forward to seeing how you go.

Good luck :thumbsup:

aaronng
11-03-2007, 05:31 PM
As long as you varied the revs when on the highway, then all is good. :)

Adagio
14-03-2007, 07:16 AM
You Row, it seems you are applying all the right techniques for getting accurate fuel consumption. I base my average consumption figures on at least 4 fill ups as pumps definitely vary. I keep a record of every fill up my 32,000km Euro has had and the average, last check, was 7.9L/100km. Most of my driving is on country roads. I drove 150 + km from home to Berowra recently and got 7.53. For over an hour I changed gear only once and cruised at GPS indicated 116kmh.
There are some people who are just adept at getting good consumption figures, you seem to be one of that lucky bred, my wife is another. She gets just under 6L/100km in her 14 year old 405SRDT Peugeot 1.9L diesel with 282,000kms on the clock, remember hers is a mechanical injector system.