PDA

View Full Version : fuses? (for starter and radiator fan)

Bulbasaur
27-08-2011, 06:35 PM
im plainning on running a wire from:

my battery to a switch to the starter
my battery to a switch to the radiator fan

because my car does not start after a long drive and i have confirmed that the fan is working

question is
what size fuse thing do i need for the radiator fan and do i need a fuse for the starter aswell (if so what size?) because it is only using the "+" battery. also will the fuse go somewhere inbetween "battery and switch" or "switch and part"?

xclusive_eg8
27-08-2011, 11:25 PM
dude if your cars not starting there must be more to it than the starter.. explain the problem..

Why do you need to switch the fan too? the fan will come on automatic when coolant temp goes up

Bulbasaur
28-08-2011, 12:31 AM
the fan fails to turn on when car is overheating or not moving.
im only running a wire to the starter to bypass figuring out what the problem is because i am still able to start the car if i spark the starter rather than turning the key after a long drive

TbM
28-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Have you checked your fan relay or your thermoswitch?

Bludger
28-08-2011, 09:41 AM
There is no fuse between the starter & battery.

they are directly wired together.

aaronng
28-08-2011, 10:21 AM
the fan fails to turn on when car is overheating or not moving.
im only running a wire to the starter to bypass figuring out what the problem is because i am still able to start the car if i spark the starter rather than turning the key after a long drive

Like TbM said, check the thermoswitch. The fan is controlled by a thermoswitch that is located on the thermostat housing. When the coolant hits a certain temperature (I think it is 95 or 100ºC), the thermoswitch closes the circuit which sends power to your radiator fan.

Bulbasaur
28-08-2011, 02:15 PM
i know about the thermoswitch, i just dont want to check it lol

Bludger
28-08-2011, 02:24 PM
DW, I get like that. lazy to fix things.

I just get another car, then fix the problem car 6 months later when I have the motivation.

TbM
28-08-2011, 03:21 PM
i know about the thermoswitch, i just dont want to check it lol

Its not hard mate just disconnect and short the thermoswitch plug on the thermostat housing, if the fan comes on you just need to replace the thermoswitch.

Edit: Have the engine off while your disconnecting and shorting the plug then turn the key to the on position without starting the car, the fan should come on.