PDA

View Full Version : Review of Work Emotion 11R (18x9.5, +20) + Goodyear Eagle F1 on DC5R

Nuci
28-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Hey all,

I thought id write up a bit of a review to help people who may be tossing up trying to decide on a good rim + tyre combo for their DC5, or any car for that matter. I had been running Civic FN2R rims with Pirelli P6's on my DC5R for quite a while. The reason I chose these rims was due to that fact that they were relatively cheap, looked more aggressive than the stock DC5R rims, and still maintained that understated look I was after. As for the Pirellis, they were a good allrounder, had a decent treadwear rating and I got them on special :)

However after attending a bunch of meets etc, I thought they looked way too conservative and wanted something lighter, and with a more aggressive fitment. First decision was the style of rim that I was after. After months of research I had my heart set on the Enkei RPF1's in Hyper Silver. They were aggressive, relatively cheap and super lightweight. I'd seen stevanbonic's build thread and thought they looked great on a DC5, and so my mind was made up. Next decision was the size and offset. I decided to go with 18x8.5, +35 offset. Something more aggressive than the weak 18x7.5 +50 that the FN2R rims were. When I contacted Matt from JDMWheelImports (trader here on ozhonda), it turned out that they day before they had sold their last set in that spec, and that I would have to wait til September for the next shipment...

That was way too long for me as im super impatient, and so I had to restart the process all over again. After another few weeks of searching, I decided upon a set of these:

http://stores.mengmotorsports.com/images/11R+MHG.jpg

I also decided to man up and get them in a more aggressive spec than the RPF1's i was originally looking at. I ended up deciding on 18x9.5, +20. So for anyone wondering if you can fit this size tyre on a DC5, the answer is yes. However you will definitely need rolled rear guards, a bit of camber, and a bit of stretch on your tyres. For reference, I bought a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's in 235/40 R18. HIGHLY recommend this tyre. This is how they looked stretched over the 9.5s:

19717 19716 19718 19719 19720 19721 19722

I have to give a plug to Matt from JDMWheelImports, the wheels were ordered and sent with minimal fuss, and I would highly recommend him. As for performance, the Goodyear Eagle F1's provide much more grip than the old Pirelli P6's, especially in the wet. The car also feels a bit more nimble due to the lighter rims and wider track. Comment and criticisms welcome, and questions just ask.

Cheers, Daniel.

r3ckless
28-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Their sit nice, but r u sure you dont scrub?

I ran 18x9.5+30 - I also ran 235/40/18 and i didnt scrub at all, but thats cos i ran some decent camber in the rear. Im looking at your 7th and final pic. It looks like if u hit a bump or something, your ognna hit straight into ur quarter panel. I would personally get some more camber into the rear. From memory I ran -3 or around there in the rear.

Nuci
28-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Their sit nice, but r u sure you dont scrub?

I ran 18x9.5+30 - I also ran 235/40/18 and i didnt scrub at all, but thats cos i ran some decent camber in the rear. Im looking at your 7th and final pic. It looks like if u hit a bump or something, your ognna hit straight into ur quarter panel. I would personally get some more camber into the rear. From memory I ran -3 or around there in the rear.

Yeah mate I've been driving for a week now and definately don't scrub. Took it for a spirited drive today and all i got was a bit of a bit of scrub on the front fender liner when taking a corner at high speed. Although I did raise the car a few mm in the rear since I took that pic (the 7th one). The pic with the sign behind the car is how it sits at the moment. Keep in mind my coilovers are set quite stiff in the rear too so there isn't much travel in the suspension, and I have about -3 camber too. Probs just can't tell in the pictures.