PDA

View Full Version : MY11 Odyssey Navigation keeps crashing

frums
29-08-2011, 12:05 PM
My GPS (factory on MY11 Luxury) keeps restarting. I had to replaced last week (which lead screw-driver marks on my dash plastics), but I noticed it restart while I was parking this morning.

Dealer is telling me that they can't troubleshoot these, and all they can do is replace..

Before I replaced it, it wiped my Bluetooth settings a few times when restarting as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

AusAccord
29-08-2011, 01:20 PM
have no experience but just prepare to fight with local dealer, Honda Australia and better get Fair Trading involves for better outcome. Good Luck!!

Philip Lee
29-08-2011, 02:44 PM
i guess you can only keep pushing them until it's fixed.

frums
29-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah.. will give them one more chance to fix it. Then I will deal with the plastics damages. Will report back with progress.

mariomart
29-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Sounds like a wiring issue. Could be a bad earth or bad harness plug connection, even a fuse not inserted correctly or faulty.

I've got the same model and I have witnessed this happen twice in mine, but it hasn't happened for about a month now so hopefully it's bedded in. As for the scratched trim I wouldn't let them get away with that, insist that they replace it at their cost.

Cheers :) Mario

Winno
29-09-2011, 08:12 PM
My advice, do NOT wait to deal with the damage to the plastics until later.
Take the issue up with them immediately.
Hopefully you've at least mentioned it to them already.

Trust me on this one.

mariomart
02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
My unit is still glitching occasionally, but nothing I can reproduce as it is very random. I wonder how many of these units are affected and if Honda is considering a fix or recall.

mariomart
04-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Just had my ODC serviced and whilst there asked them to look into the reset issue. They said they couldn't find anything and it wasn't until I got the unit to reset in front of them (mine does it when trying to access the recent calls list amongst other things) that they decided to call Honda HQ. Honda advised them that they were aware of the issue and apparently it is down to a manufacturing fault. The unit is apparently manufactured by Panasonic and the replacement units are sent directly from Panasonic to the local Honda dealer. I'm just waiting for them to call when it arrives.

frums
07-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Apologies, I should have updated earlier. My dealer advised that the problem is well known by the hq, and is a firmware issue. I had a honda technitian who came to my house and updated the unit firmware a few months ago. Since then, I havent had a single crash.

When I get home later, I will see if I can find the version from the unit and post back.

frums
08-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Just checked this morning. My version is 3.3.1.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4068f928-a613-b54a.jpg

mariomart
08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks frums. My unit is Version 3.24.

Did you notice any other improved differences between software versions? Any extra features?

frums
08-02-2012, 09:23 PM
No.. Unfortunately everything looks and feels pretty much the same. I was actually hoping the lagginess would improve, but it didn't.

Oh also my dealer was saying that they need to replace the unit at the beginning too. But in the end they didn't.

I definitely wouldn't let them change your unit as they may damage the trim as they did with mine. In fact i saw that they did the same thing to their courtesy car (odyssey luxury as well).

eml
26-03-2012, 01:25 PM
We've also been experiencing problems with our unit. While on USB mode, the music will just stop. We will have to remove the USB stick and re-plug it for it to work again. Tried different sticks, different formats, with or without tags -- all the same. Less frequent, but still frequent enough, is the whole system will reboot (showing the "Honda Navigation System" screen). At times, music will continue in the background and will return to the music screen but, less frequently, it will be just as if it was just turned on (you need to press the "Ok" button).

I have to check with firmware version we're on.

frums, did you experience the same issues while on USB? Has your unit been behaving since?

mariomart
26-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi eml,

There seems to be a few different problems with these units. My dealer told me that they had been told by HQ that some units suffered from bad soldering and shorts, which meant the entire unit needed to be replaced. The weird thing was that I could force my unit to fail by a few key presses in the bluetooth phone call lists, forcing it into a reset. Frums problem seemed to be sorted by a simple firmware upgrade, although his issues did not seem all that different to mine. To be honest, I really don't think Honda have any idea what the problem is. I reckon that Honda bought cheap and have got all sorts of quality issues due to using cheap units.

Good luck with getting it sorted, I'm still waiting for over 5 weeks and still no joy. let us know what excuse the dealer gives.

frums
26-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I havent used the usb playback often but i have been using iphone 3gs plugged permanently as mp3 player. It has been working well except for the occasional hickup where it will not pick up the iphone after starting the car.. To me this doesnt sound like the same issue. I just have to replug the iphone to get it to work.

I'd say check your version first. My gps unit hasnt crashed once since.

Cheers

eml
26-03-2012, 09:31 PM
just checked -- software version is 3.24. i'll email the dealer service manager and see if he can arrange for an update in the meantime.

tinymoon
29-03-2012, 09:30 PM
It should be two things only: Firmware and Wire. That was what happened to my sis car my11

mariomart
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Just received another phone call from my service department about my replacement unit. Apparently Honda Australia don't want to replace the unit until they have upgraded the firmware to see if that fixes it. The dealer says it's going to be a couple more weeks before they receive an upgrade disk (you'd think they could just email or p2p it, but no, snail mail it is). It's now been 3 months waiting. They officially SUCK!!!!

eml
10-05-2012, 07:59 PM
well, our unit got replaced today ... it still hangs on USB!! will check firmware version tomorrow (or later)!

mariomart
11-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Well, that's not very good news. It really does sound that these units come from some backyard Chinese manufacturer. You would think that with the extra couple of thousand dollars that MY11 Ody owners had to fork over for the privilege of integrated SatNav that we would at least get a quality item. I wonder if a small claims court proceeding or class action suit would help us recover some of that premium due to the fact that I for one have been left in the lurch quite a few times relying on the SatNav only for it to die just before crucial direction changes. Is anyone at Honda listening?

Adrian128
13-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm glad mine doesn't have the factory SatNav... I think a Garmin or a TomTom would be much better..

mariomart
14-05-2012, 07:08 PM
I had the firmware upgraded today. The Honda Technician looked so proud with himself when he sat in the car with me to show me that it was fixed. I almost Lol'd when about 12 key presses later I managed to make the unit fail and do a reset. The technician didn't look too happy after that :o . The tech admitted that the unit was borked. Back to square one.

frums
17-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh no..

I visited the service today where they tried to fix the trim. But it looks pretty much the same. So im still trying to work it out with them as well.

BTW are you able to crash the unit via certain key press sequences? If so I would like to give it a go as well.

mariomart
17-05-2012, 10:51 PM
The way I get it to crash is to go into the phonebook, rapidly scroll down to the bottom and back to the top, not waiting for the unit to catch up with key presses. It will start to get very sluggish by now so try changing over to a different menu and scroll up/down in there. By now the unit should lock up and then do a reset. If you ask me I reckon it's the combination of cheap electronics and sloppy programming that is at fault.

I must admit that since the firmware update the unit has not failed or reset. I think I'm just going to give up and cancel the replacement unit. I'm happy to live with the fact that I just have to slow down my key presses and allow the unit to catch up. I really don't want to have some monkeys damage my dash and make the issue worse.

eml
06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
they changed the unit and it now has the 3.31 firmware but still the same. in our case, we don't even have to press any keys -- we play music via USB (now all just have IDv1 tags) and music still stops/hangs.

christo75
06-06-2012, 08:21 PM
I too have had my nav software upgraded to version 3.31 and still occasionally have it crash the dealer just said "I don't know what to tell you!" knowing that I work in the car audio industry and feeding my rubbish excuse won't cut it. I bought the car 2nd hand and it came with it so I fortunately didn't pay any extra for it so it looks like I may just replace it with an aftermarket brand. I also notice that last time it went in for the nav issue it came back and now it loses radio station memory randomly! Basically its just a cheaply made piece of crap that Honda charge way too much for!
To make my Honda dealer experience even better I was having problems with the reverse camera not working they said they would replace it under warranty, after having it for 2 days they gave it back not working saying they didnt know what was wrong. I decided to have a look at it myself when I got it home within 20 minute I had it sorted out. Maybe they should have tried plugging it in at the head unit end!!!! Definitely not going back to Yarra Honda for anything else!

eml
16-08-2012, 01:18 PM
hello folks, has any of you gotten resolution on your system issues already? have just sent a (private) message via their FB page and am hoping to get some response from Honda AU. if not, i'll try a public message and see if that gets them moving. i'll write to their president/MD as a last resort. i just wished i didn't have to go through these hoops.