PDA

View Full Version : hiclones.

accordingly flash
13-02-2005, 08:56 AM
has anyone used one on there honda?
has anyone got any opinions on them?

smoknhothonda
13-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I dont have a Hiclone, I have a throttle body spacer on my 5th gen accord.

It makes a cool whistle kinda noise, but I didnt notice much difference in power :(

From my knowledge you get a fair increase on larger capacity engines like 4wd's especially the yank tank 4wd's, dunnydores falcoons etc etc

EuroAccord13
13-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Is that one of those intake thingy that supposingly increases the velocity of the intake air? Something like an electronic S/C?

panda[cRx]
14-02-2005, 08:26 AM
it kinda twists the air into a cylcone kinda thingy so it sucks more air in.

accordingly flash
14-02-2005, 08:34 AM
supposedly makes youre car use less fuel and increase performance..i can get one fitted for 150 bucks fitted and iam considering it...

Kawasaki
14-02-2005, 08:36 AM
man just get a computer fan.

Peekay34
14-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I have had them in two other cars non Euro they made a difference.. more responsive

PERTH_EURO
15-02-2005, 12:02 PM
man just get a computer fan.

nah dont
wouldnt assist in more air anyway, and id hate to see it break and enter engine

Dominik
15-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Any difference you 'feel' with those is purely a placebo effect. How could adding an obstruction in your intake help the engine? I think you would notice more difference if you just washed your car...

aaronng
15-02-2005, 01:33 PM
It's an obstruction because you don't have any mechanical driving force to increase the flowrate of air into the engine. I reckon these devices might work if you were using forced induction, but for NA engines, any devices in the path of the intake will just reduce filling efficiency.

Faiz
15-02-2005, 08:36 PM
i was planning to maybe fit one of these but after hearing you guys state its cons, i decided not to.

Peekay34
15-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Sorry I disagree, .. Have any of them had one ?. I have had two and one is in my wifes car at the moment...which picked up power after it was installed. I also had one in my Four Wheel drive and it certainly made quite a big difference. They work fine. Try http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/hiclone.php they offer a 30 day money back guarantee if it does not work well you get your money back so what is the problem. The Guy you want to talk to is called Mark ..tell him Paul the one he is making an ITG filter for an accord recommended you. I will probably install one I have one here from my old rolla and am going to see if it fits

Dominik
15-02-2005, 10:18 PM
I'd say this would be easy to verify (for the manufacturer). Take one K24 Head, complete with valves, cam etc. Attach the intake manifold, and the intake tube/air filter. There should be no holes between the filter and the head (i.e. any releif valves etc should be covered)

Seal a vaccum pump up to one of the cylinder heads (to stimulate the vaccuum caused by the piston pulling downwards). Add a vaccuum guage in the cylinder head (or the tube of the vaccuum), and rotate the intake cam until the intake valves are fully open.

The vaccuum should be able to suck ALOT of air. Assuming a 2.4L capacity, at 8000RPM the K24 draws almost 0.6L into each cylinder in 0.00375 seconds (thats up to 160L/Sec!). Measure the vaccuum at varying suction rates before and after installing the Hiclone.

If there is LESS vaccuum after installing the Hiclone (i.e. it reduces the restriction of airflow), then it works.

But for some reason i cant find any such tests on the net...

Kawasaki
16-02-2005, 05:15 AM
so many product like this. I say prove it works then i'll believe.

Peekay34
16-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Well Mercedes are using them according to the Hiclone site so that should give some indication that they work. And like I said before you get a 30 day money back Guarantee so if it does not work you get your money back. Being a cynic over a product you have not used is one thing ...but unless you try it for yourself well... you can not speculate/guess on something you know nothing about. At least I have used it and know the results.. I will try it on my Accord as soon as I get a chance and I will report back.

Dominik
16-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Not the first time i've been called a cynic, and wont be the last. They can say what they want on *their* website, but once i see a proper independant test (not just dyno readings - that is too unreliable) i'll convert.

I treat their money back guarantee the same way as the Danoz Direct ones. Its great, but they'll rely on the fact that its alot of effort to return something (and fuel economy is such a difficult thing to measure reliably - since there are so many factors!), so you might even think its doing better when in actual fact its just because you are sub-consciously driving calmer

accordingly flash
16-02-2005, 08:46 AM
on the website they state a positive test was done by street commodores..

DLO01
16-02-2005, 08:47 AM
My opinion, I think they are just crap. I have never tired one myself, but I have seen reviews on TV about different manufactures. They all made no difference or a -ve difference. I think it is just the Hype of getting one that make it 'feel' more powerfull. I personally can never tell the difference by 'feeling' with small increases in power.

Lowenhart
16-02-2005, 09:29 AM
My uncle has 2 of them in his cars and said they work...
I personally wouldn't use them.
Since they have a money back guarantee you can always give it a try and see what you think.

smoknhothonda
16-02-2005, 07:21 PM
I wouldnt expect a great deal of power to be made in a Euro, compared to something like an old 4WD with a lazy large capacity engine. This is where the throttle body Spacers, Hiclones etc seem to make some reasonable gains. I have a mate with a 98 pajero who reckons for $150 it was well worthwhile.........

Apparently the spacers are to be avoided in turbo Applications.......

Peekay34
21-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I have spoken to the guy who sells these he is going to supply me with a test unit. I hope to have one for the Dyno day this saturday.

EuroAccord13
21-02-2005, 05:00 PM
I have spoken to the guy who sells these he is going to supply me with a test unit. I hope to have one for the Dyno day this saturday.

Do a Before and After Dyno and show us the results yeah :)

smoknhothonda
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
So Peekay what were the final Dyno results before and after with the Hi-Clone........?

Peekay34
06-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I did not do a before and after test as had no chance just did two runs one straight after another first run 160 BHP at the wheels in 2nd gear and just 4000 km on the odo and second run was 20 HP more(???). I expect better results when the engine has had a chance to run in more. Scratching my head why they only said 115.1 KW when 160 converts to approx 119 KW.... no idea, overall left totally confused on their maths ....

yfin
06-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I did not do a before and after test as had no chance just did two runs one straight after another first run 160 BHP at the wheels in 2nd gear and just 4000 km on the odo and second run was 20 HP more(???). I expect better results when the engine has had a chance to run in more. Scratching my head why they only said 115.1 KW when 160 converts to approx 119 KW.... no idea, overall left totally confused on their maths ....

They would have tested in 3rd gear. Didn't you get a print out with the figures?

Peekay34
06-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I did but don't have it with me to look at as I am in Sydney.

mastcell
23-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Read this and don't waste your money:
http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible.html
'This thing is known by many, many different names, including the Cyclone-Z Fuel Saver and the Dynamix Fuel Saver. The basic premise is to make you believe that by swirling the air in your intake manifold, you'll get a better fuel-mix which will result in cleaner burning, longer-lasting, more emission-friendly engines, that at the same time give more horsepower.
It's a great theory, and for $69 (USD), who could resist? The theory is sound. So sound in fact that carburetors and fuel systems have been swirling the air in the intakes for decades. It's called the venturi effect and it's why carburetors can freeze up in the winter.
The US E.P.A has not tested the tornado fuel saver, but after testing more than 100 similar products including the Cyclone-Z (report PDF) and the Dynamix (report PDF), the E.P.A says it "has not found any product that significantly improves gas mileage."
Let's face it. If these things really worked, GM, Ford, Volvo, BMW and all other manufacturers would be buying them by the millions, and cars would come out of the factory with them on. And speaking of the factory, bear in mind that most car manufactures can and will use an engine add-on as a reason not to honour your warranty.'

et.turbo.dude
25-08-2006, 12:05 AM
I'd have to agree with Peekay34. i had 1 on an old car of mine and it did make a noticable difference in fuel econemy. These guys don't know what there on about coz they havent even tried em! I'm actually thinking of putting a couple on my current car! I have a worked et turbo pulsar, apparently with two on forced induction cars, 1 before and 1 after the turbo you get noticable power and econemy increase. the idea with them is that they create a swirl effect in your intake which mixes your air and fuel together better and atomizes better in your engine for a more efficiant and power productive big bang. hope this helps!

mastcell
25-08-2006, 12:25 AM
.... the idea with them is that they create a swirl effect in your intake which mixes your air and fuel together better and atomizes better in your engine for a more efficiant and power productive big bang. hope this helps!

Yes, but this is exactly what carburetors and fuel systems do. To get more power and economy, you are better off compressing the charge (eg turbo, supercharge, intercooler, nos etc). It is doubtful that you will gain significant benefit with a passive device that creates turbulence (swirl) in the air intake.

As my previous post has mentioned, if this is so good, car manufacturers will be buying it by the millions (since it is so cheap anyway) to gain the slight edge over the competitor.

think about that. ;)

mastcell
25-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I'd have to agree with Peekay34. i had 1 on an old car of mine and it did make a noticable difference in fuel econemy.

Unfortunately, this is call placebo effect.

The manufacturer of this product shows heaps of testimonials but no hard scientific proof in peer review scientific (automotive engineering) journal. Without such research, it is just hearsay, sorry to say!

et.turbo.dude
25-08-2006, 02:41 AM
i might stick 1 up my a_s and see about the placebo effect? jokes aside, maybe i was dreaming things up, i'm going to get my money back for it! we all need to see hard accurate dyno evidence to really tell if it works!

Dray_Templar
31-08-2006, 02:48 PM
So true, we all need scientific evidence to prove that this is correct or work as there ment to.

can't go believing in things or on faith with out scientific proof.

euro77
31-08-2006, 09:18 PM
i had 1 on mine, it does improve the mileage by about 0.5L to 1L/100km. However, have a read on this article (US) and decide for yourself. http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars_trucks/1802932.html