PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gen prelude rebuild engine help

jdm-088
31-08-2011, 08:24 PM
hey guys only just joined here been looking though forum and have only found a lil info about the b20a6 engine saying to replace the pistons with b16 pistons to raise the comp now im only new to this but i have to rebuild this engine im not changing it or putting in a h22 i want to really find what i can do with this engine ive read they ruffly come out stock with 100kws at the engine an we are only aiming to get 120/130 at the engine soo not looking for big power but just sumting to beef it up a bit i like doing moutain runs in it they handle so good soo if anyone knows anything about these engines and could help me out would be a big thank u

terrabyte
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Join prelude Australia and/or Prelude power if you'd like some more in depth info about 3g preludes.

The B16 pisons need the wrist pin hole to be bored out to match the b20a rods. The extra compression isn't going to net you too much power without an ECU/tune to match. We run an OBD0 ECU so you need an OBD1 boomslang harness to get our cars compatible with any obd1 ecu's. Fortunately we already run a 4 wire dizzy so that doesn't need to be changed. 120-130 at the engine is actually a pretty big ask. a 20-30% power increase doesn't come cheap or easy, these engines are already pushed pretty hard and it's not easy to come across aftermarket/performance bits. You'll find out why these are called the "bastard b's". Your best bet is a set of aftermarket headers, hurricane is an example of a locally made set for a reasonable price. A 2.25" exhaust to match would be a good idea to get the most from the header.

Then a Cold air intake, some weight reduction and some lightweight wheels will all help. Try a front and rear whiteline swaybar to stiffen up the body and a set of coilovers if you can afford it. Anything beyond this is getting very expensive, a set of cams will set you back over $1k and without the tune they're not going to help that much. You can try adjustable cam gears and run a +4/-4, people find that gives them a bit more peak power. I found I dropped some low end torque though.

phattzy
03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
as terabyte said join P.A. or P.P. , there is a tonne of info on there for the 3Gs , ive been on there for awhile now and have made some awesome friendships and its help'd build my 3G into the monster it is today .
heres my build thread and the key people to listen to is BOB , FLIPMODDS , PJF_LUDE and ADRENELIN . http://www.preludeaustralia.com/forum/showthread.php?43903-turbo-3rd-gen-lude

jdm-088
05-09-2011, 10:27 PM
thanks guys im already on there just asking different forums to see ppls different thoughts ive been told by engine builder im lookin around 5g soo yeh just dono wht parts will work but will find out over time