PDA

View Full Version : flywheel and clutch help!

FoShizz
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Ive been hearing alot of things about how important it is to have a lightweight flywheel and a HD clutch.
I know that lightweight flywheel will make the car accelerate faster because the disc is lighter therefore it will spin faster, however car will also lose acceleration faster because its lighter, theres less momentum that the disc can carry.
what are the other advantages and disadvantages of having a lightweight flywheel?
which lightweight flywheel should i get? (im not sure if there are diff brands or something?)
and what price am i looking at for a lightweight flywheel?

as for the HD clutch, i would imagine honda would put a sports clutch for their type R models of integras (not sure if thats true but its kinda logic if u think about it) just wondering, if this is true whats the point of having a HD clutch if honda has already provided a stock sports clutch? or are they just prefered over stock type r clutches for a dc5r?

Any help is greatly appreciated! and thanks in advance :D

DLO01
03-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Its not 'important' as such to mate a light flywheel to a HD clutch. Its up to you and what you want as you stated with the ads and dis's. Its the fact that replacing the clutch is not a simple job and you can knock two birds of with 1 stone by replacing the clutch and flywheel at the same time.

Just about any clutch will do the job of normal everyday driving. A aftermarket HD clutch is more durable and can handle more torment and punishment from quicker take offs etc while maintaining same or very similar feel to the foot.

jeffreymui
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
+1, lighten flywheel is crap in traffic/start and stop trips

Jaiiiwon
03-09-2011, 10:45 PM
lightweight flywheel will make the car accelerate faster because the disc is lighter therefore it will spin faster, however car will also lose acceleration faster because its lighter, theres less momentum that the disc can carry.

that statements confusing.

but anywho, how does the lightweight fly change things when you drive? is it like harder to feel for the friction point or something?

DLO01
03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Hes worded it wrong. He is saying, when accelerating rpm's go up quicker because theres less weight to get going from the lightened flywheel. In turn, the less weight makes the rpm's drop quicker when decelerating, because theres less mass to main revs/keep spinning. We are talking about engine speed here. Revs up quicker, but also revs drop quicker, both because of the less weight.

The issue 'some' people have is they complain, when casually changing gears, that the rpm's drop off too quickly before engaging in to the next gear because of less weight of a light flywheel, causing a jerk in car momentum, from getting the rpms back up again when in the next gear. Normally with a stock weighted flywheel, would maintain the rpms giving smooth engagement into the next gear. Its a comfort factor especially when cruising around town.

Must add, some people are just soft. lol.

Cr0wbar
04-09-2011, 02:36 AM
when casually changing gears, that the rpm's drop off too quickly before engaging in to the next gear because of less weight of a light flywheel, causing a jerk in car momentum, from getting the rpms back up again when in the next gear. Normally with a stock weighted flywheel, would maintain the rpms giving smooth engagement into the next gear. Its a comfort factor especially when cruising around town.
This is very true. My DC2 has a lighter FW and HD Clutch and it does jerk a bit. However, this is my first car (had license for just over 1 month) and I've already figured out how to drive it as smoothly as any manual car. As you went on to say, some people are either soft or are too lazy to put in any effort. If an 18 year old can learn to drive a car well, why can't anybody else? One really only needs to know where their friction point is and know exactly how much trottle to put in.

FoShizz
04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Hes worded it wrong. He is saying, when accelerating rpm's go up quicker because theres less weight to get going from the lightened flywheel. In turn, the less weight makes the rpm's drop quicker when decelerating, because theres less mass to main revs/keep spinning. We are talking about engine speed here. Revs up quicker, but also revs drop quicker, both because of the less weight.

yeah thats what i meant hahaa

Jomsy
04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
+2, forget about it on a daily driver

Jaiiiwon
04-09-2011, 06:10 PM
.. when accelerating rpm's go up quicker because theres less weight to get going from the lightened flywheel. In turn, the less weight makes the rpm's drop quicker when decelerating, because theres less mass to main revs/keep spinning. We are talking about engine speed here. Revs up quicker, but also revs drop quicker, both because of the less weight.

The issue 'some' people have is they complain, when casually changing gears, that the rpm's drop off too quickly before engaging in to the next gear because of less weight of a light flywheel, causing a jerk in car momentum, from getting the rpms back up again when in the next gear. Normally with a stock weighted flywheel, would maintain the rpms giving smooth engagement into the next gear. Its a comfort factor especially when cruising around town.

ahh yeah, i get it now.. Thanks for that.

to be honest, if that's the only draw back, i might as well chuck in a lightweight flywheel when next time i change my clutch (which should be soon - ive had it for awhile)

GSi_PSi
05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I like when the car has a lightened flywheel and hd clutch, feels better/ more torque feel and keeps you alert

TypeS
05-09-2011, 10:34 AM
If you have the AUDM DC5R, the JDM flywheel is a good compromise (4.7kg) between a lightened ~ around 3.7kg and OEM ~6.8kg.
And is perfectly fine for daily.

GSi_PSi
05-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Does ^ that include the ep3r k20a engine ?

45SET
06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Lightweight fly wheels aren't that bad for driving, and neither are HD clutch's.

The only thing I haven't liked about mine is the 8 hours worth of labour I had to pay to get it fitted!

p33r
06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
How much would you be looking at roughly to get a lightened flywheel and clutch fitted?

45SET
06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
ahh... 8 hours worth of labour...

So if your mechanic charges $80 an hour (Which is roughly the norm in Brisbane) it is $80 x 8 = $640.

You would also be charged for some other little bolts etc, but that's nothing compared to the labour costs.

So basically... if you have a Type S, save up for a clutch, flywheel and LSD, and get it all done at once.

p33r
06-09-2011, 06:19 PM
ouch. considering i probably need to replace synchros too, would the cost of that labour generally cover that as well?

45SET
06-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Yep.

HD clutch and Flywheel is probably the 2nd best mod I've done to my car (Best being K-Pro)... Even though both of them had a initial purchase price of around $1,200, it cost almost a 3rd of that to get it fitted/working.

As for the synchros... talk to a mechanic and get a quote. As they'll need to pull the gearbox apart to replace them, there is going to be further costs ontop of the labour involved in taking the gearbox out.

Just so people know, when removing a gearbox from a DC5/EP3, you actually have to remove the entire passenger side suspenion, and the subframe just to get to the gearbox, this is why there is 8 hours worth of labour involved.

midnightdood
07-09-2011, 05:01 PM
This is not even conjecture.

http://themoderatevoice.com/wordpress-engine/files/2008-june/ThumbsDown.jpg

+2, forget about it on a daily driver

Premature Vtec
10-09-2011, 03:06 PM
ahh... 8 hours worth of labour...

So if your mechanic charges $80 an hour (Which is roughly the norm in Brisbane) it is $80 x 8 = $640.

Dont know what sort of Mechanic you go 2 .... shouldn't take any longer then 2-3 hours if that, 8 hours is overkill to the max.

It pretty much comes down 2 personal preference had toda flywheel + HD clutch in my b20 dc2r I could drive it around all day no hassle's

45SET
10-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Dont know what sort of Mechanic you go 2 .... shouldn't take any longer then 2-3 hours if that, 8 hours is overkill to the max.

It pretty much comes down 2 personal preference had toda flywheel + HD clutch in my b20 dc2r I could drive it around all day no hassle's

Centrax Auto in Brisbane. See the below link. It's not as easy as a B-Series.

DIY clutch install for DC5 (http://customdc5.my-php.net/diy/clutch/)

jdm18c
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
lol yea gotta remove subframe and shit

Premature Vtec
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I know it's not as easy as B series, took our mechanic 2-3hours max. Dc5s and dc5r he fitted Sports organic + flywheel + hasport mounts.

jdm18c
10-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Lol no1 will quote ya 3hours how they suppers to make money

Premature Vtec
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Lol ok buddy

GSi_PSi
10-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Hey jdmb18c off topic but how on earth did you make 183kw from a b18c I/h/e must be a world record braking engine if so.

p33r
11-09-2011, 12:14 AM
I know it's not as easy as B series, took our mechanic 2-3hours max. Dc5s and dc5r he fitted Sports organic + flywheel + hasport mounts.

Where's this from?

jdm18c
11-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Hey jdmb18c off topic but how on earth did you make 183kw from a b18c I/h/e must be a world record braking engine if so.

Lol it's a joke.. This forum is filled with dreamers, it's amazing how many ppl msg me say what did ya do to get that.

Premature Vtec
11-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Where's this from?

Just our mechanic that we have up here in Brisbane, if anyone is interested for more details just PM me.