PDA

View Full Version : EK4 immoboliser problem

vishta
04-09-2011, 01:16 AM
I have problem with this EK4...

I can only start the car once every 10 times ... when I turn the key, the key light keep flashing ...

I am wondering what will be the easiest way to solve this problem?

sebtoombs
04-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Electrically, it sounds like a bad connection somewhere. First thing to do is ensure all connectors are in properly. This includes connectors to the engine fuse box and probably the under-dash one as well. If thats not the problem, it gets seriously more tricky. I don't think the EK4 came standard with an immobiliser, so I'd be all for ripping the sucker out, but that will require finding the immobilisation points and reconnecting the breaks in the wires. If you're not keen on that, you need to start checking lots of connections with a multimeter. Something either isn't grounding properly, or isn't getting the correct/any supply voltage due to a small break in a conductor or a cold solder joint.

Get the datasheet for the immobiliser, find out what parts of the electrical system it isolates, then see if those items (eg fuel pump, starter etc) are being correctly operated once the immob. is deactivated.

If thats all good, it could be the immobiliser unit itself thats had it (could be a cold joint in the board somewhere, not always grounding etc etc)

If thats not it, then its something in the cars electrics, not the immobiliser.

Long long list of things, just gotta work through methodically. Had to do this with a mates GT-Four the other week. We thought it was the immob, spent a few hours poring over the datasheet and the cars manual and eventually found (after much confusion) that a loose plug was simply the cause.

Good luck

EG52NV
04-09-2011, 06:54 PM
All ek's came with factory imobiliser!

sebtoombs
04-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah my bad they did as my little sister informed me haha.