PDA

View Full Version : radio wiring problems

uberfox
04-09-2011, 07:35 PM
hey guys, im running into a little trouble with installing the new head unit in my EK. I checked for blown fuses which there was none of and then tried measuring the voltages off the wiring harness. None of the strips showed indication of power. what do you guys think? need help thanks

mugen_ctr
04-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Is the bat even connected? lol

check for power cable, if its been connected properly, check grounding wires, make sure u connected all the wires to the corresponding colors/wire

Are u splicing the oem harness to HU or using a aftermarket harness that plugs into oem harness?

uberfox
04-09-2011, 07:52 PM
thanks for the swift reply. i got the car wif the stock radio harness cut off so using the one supplied with the new HU. tried connecting the HU but it wont power up. So i took it off and measured the car wirings, batts connected but reading 0Vs on the wires.

THE 2BSEEN
04-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey brother try this hope it will help.
Some cd players have there own fuse
Tell me if i can help
http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-radio-wiring-diagram-1997-honda-civic/

uberfox
04-09-2011, 08:11 PM
pretty sure iv connected it right. could it be the wires needing to be replaced?

THE 2BSEEN
04-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Wires dont really need replacing. i think the ek's are good but alot of modern cars cd players wont work untill all buttons and plugs are plugged in. due to the circuit not being complete. double check your work brother. run a good earth off the negative battery (for a test earth) and hook your test light to that to check. earths need to be good or you will have trouble with noise and when you get sub it will annoy the shit out of you

uberfox
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
thanks bro, will have a shot at it again sometime tomorrow :D

THE 2BSEEN
04-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Pm me if you need help brother

unl3a5h
05-09-2011, 01:34 PM
is your clock working?

uberfox
05-09-2011, 04:59 PM
hey 2bseen that didnt work. The clock isnt working either

TbM
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Have you checked the fuse is getting power? you need to find where your losing the + 12v

jdm_b16a
05-09-2011, 06:00 PM
In most modern cars including the Honda Civic you only need three wires to make it work

1. The constant 12V wire from the battery. This is usually YELLOW but on the Honda harness it is Blue/White. This is the MEMORY wire too as it keeps constant 12V to the headunit so the unit remembers your settings eg. radio stations, volume, etc. If your clock is not working you have an issue either under the dash in the fuse box or out in the engine bay in the under-hood fuse box.
2. The ignition-switched 12V that turns your headunit on when you insert the key and switch it to ACC or Accessory or IGN. This is usually RED but on the Honda harness it is yellow/red.
3. EARTH - the black wire that must be connected to a good EARTH point either on the harness or preferably (to make sure you really do have a good earth) with a ring terminal on the end and screwed under the dash to bare metal.

All other connections are speakers.

PS. There is a red/black wire - this is for illumination on the factory unit and is connected to the Dash Brightness Controller. Most aftermarket headunits have their own controls in this regard so you may not need it.

If you have all those things then its possible your headunit is damaged or faulty.

Peter

THE 2BSEEN
05-09-2011, 06:01 PM
there should be a main power wire with 12v weather the car is on or off. so if you cant find that youve got a blown fuse or follow the wire so to speak. that main power also keeps all settings so make sure you find it no matter what. then youve got to find the accessory wire to switch it off and on. that diagram should be right so if youve copied it you need to cheak the fuses. the car is still charged and driving lol (dont mean to be rude but just to make sure bud)
cd players can be a pain and there is always a fuse laughing at you because it blew

unl3a5h
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
yeh just check the yellow wire then in ur engine bay there should be some fuses one is radio and something backup or something change the fuse and ur set this has happened to me many times when that yellow wires touches metal it blows.

so many fuses lost :(

eKKy
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/HA-Wiring.asp