PDA

View Full Version : Ef with b16a

oken
05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm looking at a ef with a b16a conversion that isn't registered. Just wondering where the best place is to get it engineered?

oken
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm in bendigo Victoria by the way

jdm_b16a
05-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm looking at a ef with a b16a conversion that isn't registered. Just wondering where the best place is to get it engineered?

Why does it need to be engineered?

An ED6 (or EF if its a JDM import) came with a 1600 engine in Japan so no need to get it engineered. Just need to notify your authorities that details of the car have changed (that's the way it is here in NSW anyway).

Peter

mocchi
05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Why does it need to be engineered?

An ED6 (or EF if its a JDM import) came with a 1600 engine in Japan so no need to get it engineered. Just need to notify your authorities that details of the car have changed (that's the way it is here in NSW anyway).

Peter

because b16a is not a replacement engine for audm ED/EF i think.
there is no 10% / 15% displacement rule in VIC if i can remember correctly.

quangsuke
05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
shouldn't have to engineer it. only need to go to vicroads and register the engine. its a hit and miss system, where many of them dont know what engine is what so u should be fine.

recently did it for my car, no dramas.

jdm_b16a
05-09-2011, 01:57 PM
because b16a is not a replacement engine for audm ED/EF i think.
there is no 10% / 15% displacement rule in VIC if i can remember correctly.

The B16A is not a replacement engine for the EG either but the EG came with that engine in Japan so it is classed as an "optional"; the same applies to the ED.

However, having said that, if there is no hard and fast rule regarding power increases (like the 10%/15%) you mention, then just do as quangsuke suggests.

Either way, the OP should be OK.

Peter

oken
05-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah I know the capacity of the engine is no dramas it's the power increase that is gunna get me. Guess if I buy it I'll just take it in for a roadworthy and see what happens.

mocchi
05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
The B16A is not a replacement engine for the EG either but the EG came with that engine in Japan so it is classed as an "optional"; the same applies to the ED.

However, having said that, if there is no hard and fast rule regarding power increases (like the 10%/15%) you mention, then just do as quangsuke suggests.

Either way, the OP should be OK.

Peter

only australian delivered vehicle can be classified as optional. jdm delivered vehicles is not considered a replacement engine.
in vic, you cant register b16a in eg without engineer's cert. you can register it without cert if you put b16 in ej/ek.

quangsuke's post is true. it's a hit and miss because not all vicroads officer are knowledgeable about these things so they might pass you without a eng. cert.

dougie_504
05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
As above, well said.

VIC = only AUSTRALIAN delivered engines can be used without Eng Cert.

Although if you have a retard serve you at VicRoads you can sometimes get away with it.

oken
05-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Fingers crossed on a dumbarse then :)